The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 12, 2012, 05:28 PM   #26
Grant D

I have three J frame snubbs, and three K frame snubbs, but no matter what I'm carrying, I always have my LCP in my back pocket.
If I had to choose just one for conceal carry, it would be the LCP.
Old October 12, 2012, 06:51 PM   #27
bbqbob51

How much do you train?

I think you need to ask yourself the same thing I did. How often am I willing to train with my Concealed Carry gun? I think semi autos are great in the hands of an expert when it comes to defending yourself, the capacity is usually a bit more and in the case of the LCP be a bit more compact. The problem lies in the inherent relative complexity of the Semi auto. You have to worry about whether or not a round is chambered or is the safety on. If you are using a revolver, you just draw, point and shoot, from any angle and can even fire from a jacket pocket in the case of the hammerless LCR You don't need to worry about stove piping and having to clear the firearm while a bad person attacks you.
What most of us forget is when attacked we will be in the midst of the most unimaginable chaos. I really don't think the average gun owner trains enough in the tactics of self defense and gun handling, I'm sure lots of TFL members probably do but do not represent the majority of gun loaners. I shoot on a weekly basis but do not think I train enough to be considered an expert. I prescribe to the K.I.SS. principle (point and shoot) and as a result chose the LCR. It's in my pocket right now and I feel it is compact enough, very comfortable as a matter of fact. I also like the idea of the extra wallop of the .38spl HP round vs. the .380 HP
Old October 13, 2012, 01:32 AM   #28
warnerwh

I bought an LCP because I read where these guys were saying they would always take it with them because of the size and weight while leaving a heavier gun home much of the time. They are right. It is so small you can throw it in any pocket even if you are a small guy like me. I have a Pf 9 and I do carry it during the colder times alot but the little LCP is what goes with me most of the time.
Old October 14, 2012, 08:12 PM   #29
kwich

own both...

Bought the LCP first, found it to be the most diificult to shoot of any handgun I have tried (I own more than a few). No sights to speak of, really long trigger pull, and a snappy handful. Changed the recoil spring and put a Crimson Trace on it, and it stays... it is a true pocket pistol that disappears in a Nemesis in my jeans pocket or anything else I wear-so it can always be with me. That is, when the LCR isn't in a High Noon tuckable IWB like it is right now. My first revolver, and shooting this, I don't understand those who feel the recoil is harsh. I've used at least a half dozen different loads in this, including 2 of Buffalo Bore's offerings. Grab it like you mean it, and you can shoot it all afternoon. Nice trigger (agree with the potential shortstroking comment though). Mine is the night sight version, very usable, and I bought the boot grip to put on it-the standard grip is easier to shoot with and more comfortable, but a bit bigger. I enjoy shooting the LCR, I tolerate shooting the LCP. Considered selling the LCP at one point, but wouldn't get out enough to be worth not having it- it is good for its intended role- deep concealment. I have carried the LCR in a pocket holster as well-there's obviously something, but not obviously a gun. Bottom line, I suspect other semiautos may work for the same job better than the LCP, but from what i hear about shooting metal snubbies, it does't sound like the LCR would be easy to beat if you're thinking revolver.
Old October 16, 2012, 12:35 AM   #30
Noreaster

If I had to do it over again I would have bought an LCR or another airweight. The lcp is almost to small for carry and I don't like carrying in the pocket. A revolver is a no worry firearm.
Old October 16, 2012, 06:12 AM   #31
Pisa

When I bought my 642, my dealer told me the LCR was winning out all day over the 642. I handle it and honestly just didn't like it. I'm not one of these weight sticklers and actually prefer a little more heft, that's why I went with the 642. The LCR almost felt like a cap gun, but hey, that's me.
Old October 16, 2012, 10:26 AM   #32
boppy99

^what you said about the LCP's. Bought one and never looked back. I usually go on this site for some other BB Guns and that but can anyone recommend something a little like an LCP but a bit bigger? I mean I love the fact that it's lightweight but I want something that feels a little more real! Never actually handled an LCR, is it a lot more weighty?
Old October 28, 2012, 09:57 AM   #33
Grant D

boppy99:
Try a Ruger LC9 9mm, has adjustable rear sight (for windage)and a safety,(which I don't use because of long trigger pull) I carry it in a crossbreed mini tuk,and my LCP in my back pocket.
Old November 3, 2012, 05:36 PM   #34
orionengnr

Quote:
take a long look at the 11 oz Diamondback 9mm.

it is every bit as small as most 380's, while offering a lot more ammo choices, cheaper practice ammo, more readily available ammo, and 2-3x as much power as the 380.
Boy, I'd love to see your data!
Old November 4, 2012, 05:09 PM   #35
Bullgumbo

I have owned both. I prefer the LCR for more controllable recoil. I'm more accurate with it. It is reliable and uncomplicated. Aim and shoot. No need to chamber a round. The handle is much more comfortable in my hand than the skinny little LCP handle, which is more suited to concealability, but detracts from shooting pleasure, IMO. That can however be ameliorated with a Hogue wrap-around grip. If I had to pick, I'd go with the LCR.
Old November 5, 2012, 07:32 PM   #36
dsslimrock

Bought a SW442 first and couldn't hit squat at 10 yds....great carry gun though! Purchased a LCP and can at least put 4 of 6 on paper at 10 yds plus slips easily in front pocket nemesis holster or rear pocket hunter holster.
Old November 6, 2012, 12:19 AM   #37
weblance

I have them all... LCP, LCR, LC9, J Frame, SP101, Taurus 905. The LCP is a handfull, but points instantly and is very accurate for a mousegun. If you decide to get a revolver, consider the Taurus 905. Its a 9mm revolver, and 9mm is the cheapest centerfire ammo by far, 9mm out performs .38sp, and .380 isnt even close to 9mm ballistics. Cheap ammo means more range practice, and thats important. I carry a S&W 638 with Crimson Trace, or the LC9 with Crimson Trace.
Old November 6, 2012, 10:39 PM   #38
Cheapshooter

Don't know if it's shooting style, years of shooting all sorts of handguns, or I'm just not bothered by recoil. But I have no problem with recoil, or control with my LCP. Maybe those who complain so loudly are going against the clearly stated warning in the owners manual against using (fictitious) +P ammunition. I've shot WWB, Remington UMC, Speer gold Dot, Winchester PDX-1, Remington Golden Saber, and my favorite carry round Hornady Critical Defense. All without any recoil, or control problems. All have been 100 % reliable, and I'm confident any but the Remington and Winchester FMJ rounds would be adequate for my self defense purposes. Some ever prefer the FMJ for SD, but with the new age of SD HP bullets I am not one.
As to the OP question between the two, I think either would be a good choice. I do not have an LCR as yet, but it is on my short list for 2013. While I have CCW, and HD well covered with a multiple choice of arms, I still want one of those little plastic revolvers.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old November 9, 2012, 09:55 PM   #39
Super Sneaky Steve

I haven't shot the LCR but I do have a J-frame and I have shot the LCP.

For most carry situations the LCR should serve you better, but having an LCP for back up or to throw in your pocket as you do a low risk task like cutting the lawn in gym shorts serves it's purpose.

So, get both.
Old November 19, 2012, 12:56 AM   #40
Johnnymurad

I have both and prefer shooting the LCR .357 loaded with .38. I didn't like shooting the LCP until I installed a RTK precision trigger and spring kit... now that it has a decent trigger I enjoy it.
Old November 19, 2012, 03:03 AM   #41
K4THRYN

Quote:
I didn't like shooting the LCP until I installed a RTK precision trigger and spring kit... now that it has a decent trigger I enjoy it.
didn't know about those.
Now I want to try one out. Trigger pull was one of the worst aspects of the LCP for me.
Old November 19, 2012, 04:16 AM   #42
chaim

I have an LCP and love it. Is the trigger a little long, sure, but it is a DAO pocket pistol, I want it to be a little long. Other than its length, I have no complaints about the trigger (it isn't like my 1911 but it isn't meant to be). Recoil is a little stout, but that is to be expected out of a gun that shoots an adequate cartridge and weighs under 10oz. Still, for me, the gun is more pleasant to shoot than my 15oz S&W 442 Airweight.

My biggest complaint is the sights. They are practically non-existent. The range I most often use has a minimum allowed shooting distance of 25 feet. With this gun, that can be difficult for the first mag or two while getting used to shooting without any sights to speak of. If I was to do it over, I'd either get one of the little .380s with decent sights (probably the Taurus) or, more likely, get one with the Crimson Trace or LaserMax lasers already provided with the gun (difference in MSRP: $84 with the LaserMax and $170 with the Crimson Trace). A laser would make a big difference in practical accuracy and quick target acquisition. As it is, I'll probably buy one for my LCP in the next few months (before next summer when I expect my LCP to get a lot more use).
Old November 19, 2012, 10:00 AM   #43
chaim

Power:

Lets look at a common self defense round: the Speer Gold Dot. Their 90gr .380 loading is factory rated at 216FPE at the muzzle. Their regular 125gr .38+P is rated at 248. So you have a about a 15% difference. If you go with the 135gr "short barrel" .38+P loading (a good idea in a small snub) it is factory rated at 222FPE, less than a 3% difference. Of course, I do like that revolver rounds traditionally have a much wider hollow point since they don't have feeding issues to be concerned with and can use more radical HP designs.

Different ammo makers will of course have different specific measurements. Bottom line, the .380 will be a little weaker in most cases than comparable .38+P (and quite similar to non+P .38spl or more downloaded .38+P). The revolver round may have better bullet designs as well. However, the difference is pretty close, and the LCP has a definite capacity advantage. The 6+1 capacity of the LCP gives you a 20% advantage over a 5-shot snub if you run it with 6 rounds and do not top off the mag after chambering a round, if you do top off the mag and run it with 7 rounds you have a 40% capacity advantage with the LCP.

Personally, I have a small lightweight snub (the 442) and a heavier snub (a Taurus 85CH) in my rotation. I do see a definite place for them. I also have my LCP. I trust both the .38spl and .380 in pocket pistols. Now, when I can go a little bigger (IWB) I either go with an auto in at least 9mm, or I go with the steel framed snub (Taurus 85CH).
Old November 21, 2012, 10:30 PM   #44
bruno diaz

I've never shot and LCR, but I've held one and it felt great. But, the proof is in the shooting. For the guy that said he shot a couple of LCPs and didn't like them, I understand. When I bought my LCP, I regretted it when I first shot it. But, after about 200 rounds, I love it. I had also read that the only good grip extensions were the Pearce extensions. I had a friend give me a spare Garrison Grip 1.5" extension, and I like it even better than my Pearce. The LCP is accurate (despite the nearly non-existent sights) and reliable as Hell. I've put almost a thousand rounds through mine with various ammo and never had a problem. And it's so light, you don't even notice you're carrying it. I've come home and walked around my house for a few hours before saying, "What's this in my pocket?"
I've also practiced the Tueller Drill with it, and can draw it very quickly from my pocket and put a round right on target. Again, I can't speak for the LCR, though I've been tempted to get one, but I have to recommend the LCP. I've also shot the LC9, and didn't like the way it shot, nor did I feel it was close to as concealable as the LCP. As far as the penetration power of the .380, I have a friend at work who used to have his FFL and he used to tell me the .380 bounces off of windshields. I managed to take a fridge door and prop it up in front of a deep freezer. I fired an FMJ round and it went through the door, through the first layer of metal on the freezer, the insulation, and broke through but didn't fully penetrate the inside lining of the freezer. Good enough for me.

Last edited by bruno diaz; November 21, 2012 at 10:55 PM.