The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 6, 2012, 12:30 AM   #1
Mike-Mat

Call to CZ83 owners.

Had a NAA Guardian 380 and got rid of it. But since I reload, I have rounds on the shelf as well as dies and supplies. I want to get another 380 acp and for some reason the CZ 83 is appealing to me. I haven't shot one, but I like the way it looks, the way the grip is formed and the way it breaks down.

Reviews I've read, people seem to love this gun. Yes I know it's a little on the heavy side. I know there are bigger rounds for protection. I know there are smaller 380 ACP's to be had. I'm not looking for a pocket gun. I want a 380 that's not so small, that it wants to jump out of my hand every time I fire a round. I want one even my wife might like to shot.

So, you CZ83 owners out there, How do you like your guns?

Mike
Old November 6, 2012, 12:55 AM   #2
KevK.

I don't have an 83, but I have a CZ82. Same exact size chambered for 9mm Mak. The 83 is a newer version. Most parts (including mags) are interchangeable (for the .380/Makarov chambered ones).

They are both all steel framed pistols and feel solid. Since they are a bit heavier they handle the recoil better than the pocket guns. They are good shooters, and I've never had any problems with mine despite the fact that it's over 20 years old.

There is only 1 downside. They are being discontinued. Still parts and magazines are pretty easy to get a hold of.

They also make the 83 in .32acp, .380, and 9mm Mak.
Old November 6, 2012, 01:20 AM   #3
TennJed

Love it. I also have a Beretta 84, which is considered one if the premier double stack 380s. The CZ83 is every bit as good of a shooter (maybe not as good looking though) as the beretta but at half the price.

I can and do recommend the 83
Old November 6, 2012, 05:53 AM   #4
Sparks1957

I like mine, though I don't shoot as well with it as I do with my Bersa .380s
They are being discontinued, so I would get one while you can. They are nice looking guns.
Old November 6, 2012, 07:01 AM   #5
Baba Louie

Quote:
They are being discontinued, so I would get one while you can. They are nice looking guns.
Good shooters too, being somewhat large for the round in question. Get one now as Sparks says.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old November 6, 2012, 07:58 AM   #6
khegglie

It's a great gun. As said, big for its caliber, it's 80's old school design. It's my most comfortable and accurate 380 to shoot.
Old November 6, 2012, 08:47 AM   #7
Walt Sherrill

Either the 82 or 83 are good choices. The 82 comes only in 9mm Makarov, while the 83 -- which will no longer be imported to the US by CZ next year -- comes in a number of calibers from .32 to 9mm Mak, to 380), it's hard to find anything but the .380 here in the US.

I'd give serious consideration to the CZ-82. The 9mm Mak is slightly more powerful and often less costly. The 82 and 83 use the same magazines, and the 82 holds one less round. (Wolff is now offering magazine springs for these models, once a problem for CZ-82/83 owners.)
Old November 6, 2012, 09:33 AM   #8
Billy Shears

+1. A high quality weapon that is a joy to shoot. Very under appreciated.
Old November 6, 2012, 09:53 AM   #9
predecessor

A classic - and even more so now that they are being discontinued. Main reason, where else can you get a brand new all steel high-quality constructed pistol for about $400? CZ isn't making as much money on it as their other guns so they are ditching the line.

My CZ 83's are some of my best shooters! So easy to manage at speed. Pick one up.
Old November 6, 2012, 05:24 PM   #10
labhound

My CZ 83 is an excellent gun. My wife has a Beretta Cheetah 85FS .380 another excellent .380. I tried a model 84FS but both the 84FS and 85FS were just a little small for my hands but the CZ 83 fit perfect. Mine has been 100% reliable and very acurate. The only weekness is the cheap plastic grips. The grip screws tend to back out and if you over tighten them the grips will crack. I now have a custom made pair of grips on the gun and a new factory pair as a backup!!
Old November 8, 2012, 09:27 AM   #11
aarmel732

I have the CZ82 version in 9x18 mak. It is a wonderful gun. The accuracy is excellent even with russian bullets. The sights are OK, but they use the same set up as the CZ75, so I upgraded them to night sights. The fixed barrel and straight blowback design is reliable, and allows easy takedown and cleaning. It has a smooth DA pull, and SA has a little creep but it is light and clean. Even with the short sights, it is easy to shoot well. I bought mine from AIM surplus and it was a steal at 230 delivered. The newer CZ83's have a squared trigger gaurd (which I like) and the 380 chambering allows one more round. Based on my experience with the 82, I would think an 83 would be just as good, although I think you do not get the 82's cool smooth looking easy to clean barrel. I liked the 82 so much, I just bought a cz75 p07 duty, and am just as impressed. It is a shame CZ is not more popular stateside, because I have found them all to be exceptional guns.
Old November 8, 2012, 06:06 PM   #12
LarryFlew

Only gun I ever regretted selling was an 83 in .32. Go for it!
Old November 9, 2012, 07:32 AM   #13
Baba Louie

Mike-Mat
If you do get an 83, read up on cleaning with certain solvents that might melt the plastic grips. Something to avoid, I'm pretty sure.

Surplus 82s in 9Mak can be had cheap. Might want to compare Ammo prices of 9mmMak v. .380 (or 9mm Browning as noted on my 83 slide, same thing) and if ammo is available in your neck o' the woods, the 82 might save you a buck or three on initial purchase. It won't be shiny and new however.

Heck, get one each.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address