The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 8, 2012, 01:45 AM   #1
Keepin_Jeepin

S&W .40 Mauser

I have another mystery here.

Can anyone give me details and value on this piece? I hope its worth something, but I think I overpaid for it again. I have a horrible problem with impulse buying.

Old November 8, 2012, 02:10 AM   #2
MLeake

According to this link, original MSRP was $483, and they should sell used for $400. Gun is discontinued, and not supported by Mauser or SIG, so that value could be optimistic:

http://www.genitron.com/Handgun/Maus...0-SW/Variant-1

One sold on GunsAmerica for $400 (I take it back, in the body of the ad, he had lowered his asking price to $350):

http://www.gunsamerica.com/973466344..._M2_40_S_W.htm

Other old sales ads seem to have run $350-$400 for the most part. One guy on armslist.com tried to sell one for $550, but the ad has been removed.
Old November 8, 2012, 02:33 AM   #3
Keepin_Jeepin

Wow great thank you. Im not sure how you found that because I couldnt find a thing. Never looked at Sig though, but I did think it looked alot like one.

Was it some kind of a duty weapon or whats the deal because it is really wore. Finish has to be like 60 or 70%. Its been handled and shot alot.
Old November 8, 2012, 07:47 AM   #4
carguychris

I literally knew nothing about the Mauser M2 before reading this thread, but the 32nd edition (the previous one) of the Fjestad Blue Book says that the value is $275 in 80% condition and $250 in 70% condition. There's a .45ACP M2 on GB in Exc or LNIB condition for $339- the ad does not clarify whether the gun has been fired- but it has been languishing unsold for quite some time.

At first glance, the finish on your gun is somewhere between 70% and 80%... HOWEVER... the slide markings are missing and the gun seems to show some uncharacteristic-for-SIG tool marks on the slide, like it's been attacked with a wire brush. That, plus the dull gray look, suggests that the slide has been stripped and cold-blued.

IMHO if it's fully functional, this is the proverbial "truck gun", and value is somewhere around $150-$200, depending on your local market.

The good news is that a GB search reveals that you can pick up NOS factory mags for <$15 shipped!
Old November 8, 2012, 09:56 AM   #5
group17

http://www.gunshopfinder.com/sig/sigmauserm2.asp

Bought a slightly used .45 version for $300. Yours looks, shall we say, some what used. They are very nice pistols with thick grips and the wacky safety on the back of the slide. Nice trigger IMO. They have 40 cal Mauser M2 mags at CDNN if you need new ones.
Old November 23, 2012, 04:37 AM   #6
Keepin_Jeepin

Thanks for all the info. This gun is a little worn looking, but functions perfect.

Wondering what the best course of action is to making it look better. It wont be shot much or carried.

What can I do to refinish or apply a new finish on it? Parkerize it? Can I rattle can it? Powder coat?

I would like to just rattle can it but not sure. It would be the cheapest/easiest/fastest but maybe not correct? Although I dont see why not . It wont ever get hot enough to melt the paint
Old November 23, 2012, 09:04 PM   #7
Walt Sherrill

Get some of the Birchwood-Casey blue remover, wet sand or buff it, and then apply Oxpho-blue cold blue (from Brownells.) You'll have to touch it up from time to time, but it will look great -- and touch up is easy. The cost will be modest. Prep is everything.

If someone in your area does Duracoat or Ceracoat, or hot blue, have it done -- it shouldn't be too expensive. I wouldn't bother with most of the spray finishes, as they can be tricky, and unless you do a very good job, they'll just degrade the value even more.