The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 2, 2012, 01:19 AM   #26
davery25

Since you're building it bit by bit you need to figure out what you really want - i.e a light weight hunting rifle that's more accurate then average, or a target rifle that isn't a full benchrest rifle and hence can still be carried in the field.

When you hunt do you shoot offhand or off a rest?

You wont be able to shoot a heavy barrel offhand which you may need .

I have a Howa 1500 with a varmint barrel and it needs to be on a rest or bipod, i wouldnt be able to hold a 6" group offhand at 100 meters because of the weight.
Old November 2, 2012, 02:19 AM   #27
Blackops_2

You can shoot a heavy barreled rifle offhand...people do it all the time in competition. That's not to say it's easy but it's not impossible.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XknZhZ1PXN0

If recoil fatigue is a concern you can always add a brake. After excessive rounds during a range session or competition even a .308 will wear you down IMO

Either rout is going to be expensive. A cheaper way of getting an action is going to a pawn shop or the equivalent of one and picking up an 700 short action in x caliber. More than likely can find it cheaper than buying a brand new action.

That being said i went with the factory rifle rout. And am continually building on it. Overall i still stick with my choice. Having the rifle to be able to shoot was more of a necessity than waiting to get the exact rifle i wanted; though i'm still not finished with it. I just sent it off for a bolt knob and DBM. When it gets back i will probably run it as is for another year then rebarrel, new trigger, paint it, and be done. If you like a single stage trigger i'd just have a smith adjust the x-mark to 1-2.5lbs, mine's at 1lb with no creep and it works. I'm favorable to two stage triggers though so i'll be putting a huber tactics in it before it's all over.

700 5R - 1000$
McM A5 - 500$
Bedding job - 300$
bolt knob/DBM inlet/install - 600$ total

So about 2400$ into it and not done yet, though i've been able to shoot it every step of the way up until now. The initial price of the SPS shouldn't be anywhere around the 5R though so you should be able to save some money in that area.

"Combined synergy of a man and rifle is matchless, the steadiness of hand and acuity of vision, and finally the art of knowing how to make the rifle an extension of the body, all equate to the ultimate synthesis of man and machine."

"Death smiles at us all, all a man can do is smile back."

Last edited by Blackops_2; November 2, 2012 at 02:27 AM.