The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 31, 2012, 11:25 AM   #26
jimbob86

I downloaded .270 WIN (130gr Speer SP to 2800 .... dropped Bambi DRT, and recoil was pretty mild) two years ago for my then 14 y.o. daughter. I doubt my now 10 y.o. son could manage that gun though- 24" barrelled Remmy 721 ....would be a bit long and heavy for him.... if we were sitting in a blind, it'd work just fine, with something to rest the rifle on.

http://nefirearm.com/
Old October 31, 2012, 11:37 AM   #27
nate45

A bolt action .243 Winchester would be the better of the two.

In general, a good bolt action .243, with a good scope will be more accurate and flatter shooting than a lever action .30-30.
The .243 would also work great on smaller game and varmints, where its flatter trajectory, increased velocity and tighter groups would give it an even bigger advantage.

The brush bucking ability of semi and full round nose bullets has been proven to be a myth.
So, I personally would pick the .243 Win over the .30-30 for even woods hunting.
Old October 31, 2012, 01:44 PM   #28
baddarryl

Thanks everyone. Going to get the Marlin
xs7 youth in. 243. As I said I already have one in. 270 and highly recommend it as well as know it. Thanks again.
Old October 31, 2012, 03:17 PM   #29
Doyle

Good choice. Let me offer you one more piece of advise (for whatever my advise is worth). As soon as you buy it, start watching Ebay and/or Gunbroker for a regular sized stock. These come available all the time because someone bought the rifle to use as a build project and they sell off the original stock to try and recoup some money.

Your kid will eventually grow out of that youth stock. Having a full-sized factory stock already sitting in the closet will come in handy.
Old October 31, 2012, 03:45 PM   #30
baddarryl

So the action, barrel etc is the regular size just with a smaller stock? Good thought. Thanks.
Old October 31, 2012, 04:05 PM   #31
howl

That Marlin comes in 7mm08, too. Cabela's has a light 120gr load from Hornady for the 7mm08. Only thing better would be a full-house 120gr load from a .260, but you would most likely have to spend more for the rifle.
Old October 31, 2012, 06:22 PM   #32
Doyle

Quote:
So the action, barrel etc is the regular size just with a smaller stock? Good thought. Thanks.
Yes, except that the barrel on a youth might be a tad shorter. Either way, a regular stock is just a drop-in.
Old October 31, 2012, 11:18 PM   #33
bamaranger

.243 or....

I am not a fan of .30-30 levers for kids, though I know many of us started on one. Lowering the external hammer on a live round is tricky for small hands and the "solution" was the now "lawyer" safety on lever carbines.

I think a full size .243 bolt kicks less than .30-30 carbine too. But watch out for too long butt stocks. The big thing for youth can also be rifles that are too heavy.

I would also be very selective on who I gave an AR to for a first deer rifle. The .223 requires exact bullet placement, and I have never been a fan of a semi for newbies either. A single shot HR or a Mini-Mauser in .223 would seem more appropriate. While I'm at it, the 7.62x39mm in a bolt, as in an Ruger MkII or a CZ carbine makes a good youth rifle to about the distance that most youngsters ought to be shooting at game.
Old November 1, 2012, 12:06 AM   #34
baddarryl

Quote:
I would also be very selective on who I gave an AR to for a first deer rifle. The .223 requires exact bullet placement, and I have never been a fan of a semi for newbies either. A single shot HR or a Mini-Mauser in .223 would seem more appropriate. While I'm at it, the 7.62x39mm in a bolt, as in an Ruger MkII or a CZ carbine makes a good youth rifle to about the distance that most youngsters ought to be shooting at game.
Yes I am a little leery of the AR for both of those reasons (caliber and semi) too now that I have had a chance to think about it. Fact is I will most likely just take the kids out one at a time for a whole host of reasons and use the .243