The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

View Poll Results: What would your do-it-all levergun chamber?
44 Mag 31 23.31%
45 Colt 7 5.26%
45-70 Gov 78 58.65%
Other 17 12.78%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 26, 2012, 07:06 PM   #76
wilkup

YIKES! How do I resize those pics to a normal size? That's impossible to see and no fun at all =(
Old September 26, 2012, 11:09 PM   #77
Buckeye!

45/70 White Tails to Hippos anything in between

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/lupo/lupo.htm
Old September 27, 2012, 09:58 PM   #78
CCCLVII

Id go with the 45/70. You can load some trailboss under a 300 grain bullet for real easy shooting all the way to crazy loads. The 45/70 has a lot of selection. I have seen bullets as light as 250 grains all the way up to cast bullets of 550 grains.

While personally I would not take a 45/70 to hunt DG in Africa it would be perfectibility suitable for plains animals. I know there are people that have hunted Black Death with the 45/70 and I feel it is capable of killing any animal on earth but I don't think it is a stopping rifle. Until I went to Africa I would not of believed it. But when you see a buffalo up close you feel under gunned with any thing (in my case a 458 Lott).

For american game I think the 45/70 would be just fine as long as the shooter can shoot well with it. If you are able to adjust for long range shots and judge distances well (its harder than you think) the 45/70 would make a fine Alaska gun. But I feel that most people would be better served with a faster bolt gun.

Sorry I got to rambling there. I love the 45/70 Its one of my favorite rounds but I think many people think its more than it is. It is not an Elephant round. But as a general do all caliber I think its very capable of any thing you will see this side of the pond.

p.s. hunting in Africa is not much more than hunting Alaska (out side of the flight). Again sorry for rambling on, i just get nostalgic with the 45/70.
Old October 25, 2012, 01:53 PM   #79
giboshi

Rossi 45-70 Rio Grande

I agree the 45-70 gov is a great cal for BIG game. I have a 30-06 and a 30-30 for smaller game.

So I bought a Rossi 45-70 lever Rio Grande. Out of the box, the lever action locked up - - sent back to factory. Two months later they said they could not fix it so sent me a new one. Tried to test fire the gun and it missed fired every time. Also the lever was so loose that it would open under normal handeling, like adding a scope. TOOK IT BACK

Bought a Marlin 1894 45-70 and the action is night and day better than that Rossi. My gunsmith said that the Rossi manufacturing has gone down hill with cheaper steel and manufacturing standards - I can believe it.

Too bad Marlin was bought by Remington - May be the death nell for any new marlion levers.

I added a Busnell Yardage Pro rangefinder scope - a must for the longer shots with the 45-70.
Old October 25, 2012, 08:39 PM   #80
Axelwik

44 Mag and 45 Colt are for a revolver. If you're going to get a rifle, you might as well go with a rifle cartridge to take full advantage. That's one of the reasons I have a 45-70.

One train of thought, however, is to have a rifle with the same cartridge as your handgun, but in many cases (especially when shooting cast bullets) the rifle won't bore the same diameter as the handgun. You'd still have to load them separately (and size the bullets differently if you cast your own).
Old October 26, 2012, 09:03 AM   #81
Edward429451

Quote:
most people would be better served with a faster bolt gun.
Bolt guns cycle faster than a Lever Action? This is news to me. I can cycle my LA faster than any Bolt gun I've ever shot. Am I doing something wrong?
Old October 27, 2012, 04:29 PM   #82
hornetguy

He's obviously never seen Lucas McCain in action...