The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 16, 2011, 10:08 PM   #1
TenTrigger

New Beretta 92FS factory vs. combat sight

Hi all. I am new to the forum and new to my 92FS. I consider myself a competent shooter. I am frustrated with the sights on the 92FS. It came with a fixed rear sight and shot low so I had a factory Beretta adjustable rear combat sight installed today thinking I could dial this out and now it shoots high with the sight set as low as it can be adjusted. The adjustable does sit quite a bit higher than the factory fixed sight.

I have never had this problem with any other gun I have owned or shot. I have read other posts here and in other forums saying you have to line up the front sight dot with the top of the rear sight or that you have to aim low or high. I think it is rediculous that you would have to aim high or low... when you put the dot on the bulls eye that's where the bullet should hit... up to a certain distance of course. With an adjustable sight you should be able to setup your gun so that the point of impact is covered by or at the top of the front sight... shooters preference.

I have fired around 200 rounds so it far so I have had some practice. Those rounds have been at 10 yards. Is this expecting too much from a 9mm? Do I need to move closer? I shoot my Ruger MK III at this range all the time and can practically drive nails with it. I know this is a totally different animal than a .22 but I have shot .40 and 9mm handguns before with much better results. Anyone alse experience this?
Old August 16, 2011, 11:42 PM   #2
labhound

My 92fs Inox shoots POA/POI with original factory sights. Line all three dots up and put them in the center of your target. I usually shoot from 7 to 25 yards.
Old August 17, 2011, 12:05 AM   #3
sigcurious

Did you shoot it from a rest or have someone else shoot it before switching out the sights, to confirm it was the sights and not something related to adjusting to a new pistol?
Old August 17, 2011, 12:51 AM   #4
Jamas

What kind of ammo are you shooting?
Cheap/ bulk ammo sometimes is over/under loaded causing problems.
My 92fs shoots poa... or whatever the bullet goes where the dot is pointing.
Old August 17, 2011, 07:31 AM   #5
TenTrigger

Thanks for the replies.

I have tried shooting from the bench but not an actual rest. One friend shot it but had not shot a pistol in over 10 years... He did better than me actually so that should tell me something. I may just need some more practice and/or to change my style.

My last time out I was using bulk Winchester 115gr FMJ. I will have to try some good 124 or higher to see the result.

I figured an adjustable sight could not hurt even if it is mostly me or the ammo causing the accuracy problem but am concerned about the fact the it is adjusted all the way down and consistantly shoots high.

Thanks again for the input.
Old August 17, 2011, 07:56 AM   #6
zincwarrior

200 rounds is just starting and it sounds like you need more practice before you and your new friend are best buds.

I'd suggest shooting a few hundred more rounds through it. Every 150-200 resight it, but try free hand holding when shooting it (how you have it on a rest is often significantly different than holding it). Shoot 3-5 at the exact same location and you should start to see a pattern grouping and can adjust your sight. Its not perfect but it may be more helpful then bench sighting.

After some time if you are still shooting high and the sight cannot be depressed further then you may need a different adjustable sight.
There are a plethora of after market sights including non adjustable and adjustable night sights, etc.

I'll not mine shot about 2 inches high at 7 yards and put simple adjustable sights on for $20 - problem solved.
Old August 17, 2011, 02:47 PM   #7
ShipWreck

You do know that the stock Beretta sights use #3, NOT #2 or #1

This is the common issue some shoot low with the 92....
Old August 17, 2011, 03:13 PM   #8
zincwarrior

Er #3 what?
Old August 17, 2011, 04:56 PM   #9
Coltman 77

Most European pistols are sighted in for the "Cover Up Hold" (#3) while American pistols, generally suggest the 6 o'clock hold.

If you read the Operators Manual that comes with your pistol, it will explain your sights and how they should be used.

Good luck.

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA
Old August 17, 2011, 05:45 PM   #10
ShipWreck

Every semi auto I have had in the past several years has used sight picture #3, and it works for me all the time. See it discussed on many other forums as well.

#3 is what I used for all eight of my 92s

I also see it commented on at the Beretta forum... COVER the target with the front dot
Old August 17, 2011, 06:20 PM   #11
sigcurious

Just put 100 rounds through an M9 while I was at the range today out of curiosity, dot/front sight(dot was worn off the range gun) over the target like #3 definitely worked on that specific pistol. Same way I shoot my sig FWIW.

Which site picture have you been using Ten?

Sidenote: dangit, now I have another pistol on the "I want it" list.
Old August 18, 2011, 09:48 AM   #12
TenTrigger

Shipwreck, thanks for the images. This helps. I have been ligning up the dots in a horizontal plane but not putting the dot directly on the target. I am used to the #2 setup on my MK III I guess. Will have to hit the range today and see what happens.
Old August 18, 2011, 10:52 AM   #13
Brian48

#3 is what I have to use with my 92fs as well. Maybe because my 92fs is the Italian made version? I wonder if the sites are regulated differently for the US made versions. In any case, I really wish Beretta use the same dual-dot siting system found on the regular M9 versus the 3 dot system with the commercial 92fs. I much prefer the latter as that is what I was used to in the USMC.
Old August 18, 2011, 11:42 AM   #14
ShipWreck

Quote:
#3 is what I have to use with my 92fs as well. Maybe because my 92fs is the Italian made version? I wonder if the sites are regulated differently for the US made versions.
No, I have several of each (8 total - several USA made ones and several Italians). They all aim the same.

I personally do not care for the M9 sights, though. I like the 3 dot picture better.

It is actually the same rear sight on both guns, though. They just put paint in a different place, depending on it being a 92FS or an M9
Old August 18, 2011, 01:26 PM   #15
sigcurious

Ahh that explains why I didn't see 3 dots on the M9. I just thought all of them were worn off being that it was a range gun.
Old August 19, 2011, 12:14 PM   #16
TenTrigger

Just got back from the range. Good news... I am definately improving. I was able to keep a 6" grouping at 10 yards where I was all over the place before. I still suck but am improving. Bad news... the Beretta combat sight installed on the 92FS is not good. I was having to aim low or keep the front dot almost out of sight at the bottom of the rear sight... not good.

I have come to the conclusion that the Beretta adjustable combat sight is no good for the FS92 as the front sight is too low and not replacable. The combat sight sits a full 1/8" higher (center of the white dots) than the factory installed two dot rear sight. Not being able to depress the combat sight any further negates the elevation adjustability of the sight. Windage is still adjustable but I usually set that and forget it.

The sight itself is really good quality and would work well on a 92A1 or other model with a replaceble front sight as long as the dovetail is the same size. I am going to put it up for sale (possibly on ebay) and go back to the factory sight. If anyone is interrested let me know, i'm thinking around $40. In hind sight (which is always 20 20) I was too hasty to replace the factory sight... live and learn.

This is the sight... http://www.midwestgunworks.com/mm5/m..._Code=A-3-0010

Thanks everyone for your input on this subject, definately helped a 9mil noob!
Old December 15, 2011, 09:55 AM   #17
mbgolfer05

Thanks for the Update on the rear sight

Ten-Trigger, thanks for the sight information. I was just about to click on "Buy" for that very sight, but I'm going to hold off now.
Old December 15, 2011, 10:25 AM   #18
kraigwy

Using Shipwreck's diagram, I use #1 with my 92FS. I shoot cast bullets in the 124 grn category (actually mine cast a tad heavier, more like 128 grns with wheel weights).

What I did do, was to dab some florescent orange paint where the front dot is. I can see and line up the orange better then the white.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old December 16, 2011, 02:47 PM   #19
texagun

One of these might help you diagnose your shooting:

Old February 4, 2012, 07:43 PM   #20
big_cigar

92 FS changed rear sight problem

I have a new Beretta 92 FS. The 3 dots were hard for me to see so I installed a new rear 2 dot combat sight. It is higher that the fixed front sight and I am shooting high. I brought it to my gunsmith to figure out what to do. It needs some type of a cap on the front sight to raise it up. Any thoughts from anyone?
Thanks
Old October 19, 2012, 05:22 PM   #21
Spindrift

Old thread, but good info. I have had my 92 fs Inox 9mm for almost a year now. The first steel/moving target comp I shot I used an almost stock S&W Sigma .40 . I came in 8th out of 25 shooters. After a LOT of research I chose the Inox 9 for a new competition gun. It took a LOT of practice for me to fall back into the top ten. Now that I have ruled everything else out, I'm looking for some better sights that I can see. Like on the cheaper Sigma. Those sights practically aim themselves. Big black thick sights with bright white dots. I hate having to look for the Beretta front sight I use sight picture #1 on all my pistols, including the 92 fs and if I bench shoot it's right on. But when the clock is running, the factory sights don't cut it. Does anyone have a link for these combat sights mentioned in this thread?

Since this thread is old (I found it in a google search) is there a new hot sight system I should be looking at? I love everything about the Inox except the sights and want something that works no matter what. Thanks for any help.
Old October 26, 2012, 04:14 PM   #22
pete2

I have a SS model 92FS. It shot low when new, I called Beretta and they blew me off. I finally found a Novak taller rear for it, now shoots point of aim. I'd rather it be an inch or 2 high at 25YD but That would mean an even taller sight if I can find one. It is a great pistol but no more Berettas for me, I don't continue doing business with companys that blow me off like they did.
Old June 18, 2014, 12:34 AM   #23
Martin248

Updating this really old thread because this is what comes up high in google for people who are looking for information about 2-dot versus 3-dot sights on a beretta 92fs or m9, and so it would be nice to have the answer here. I found the answer, after first reading this thread, so for others like me who find this thread, here goes:

If you have a 3-dot sight and you think you would rather have a 2-dot, or the reverse, you DO NOT need to change out your rear sight. The two rear sights are absolutely identical. The only difference is where the paint is.

So if you want to change your sight, remove the current paint with thiner, and use white enamel metal paint to put the dot(s) where you want them. Either a line in the center, or white paint in each of the little holes.

No need to buy a new rear sight or go to a gunsmith. In the military it is common for the dots on an M9 to eventually wear off, and the armorer will just put new enamel paint on, in either configuration at the shooter's preference.

Last edited by Martin248; June 18, 2014 at 12:42 AM.