The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 19, 2012, 09:02 PM   #26
PT-92

Plus 1 on Hornady's new line of "Critical Duty" (not to be confused with their Critical Defense line). I really like the .135gr offering as it IMO perfectly bridges that gap between 124-147. Cycles seamlessly in all my 9mm's (my CCW gun is a P11 and it eats them like there's no tomorrow).
Old October 20, 2012, 12:19 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT-92:
Plus 1 on Hornady's new line of "Critical Duty" (not to be confused with their Critical Defense line). I really like the .135gr offering as it IMO perfectly bridges that gap between 124-147. Cycles seamlessly in all my 9mm's (my CCW gun is a P11 and it eats them like there's no tomorrow).
Although I prefer heavy-for-caliber bullets, I find the 135 gr Critical Defense to be very appealing. I'd carry 'em happily.

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION
Old October 20, 2012, 02:16 AM   #28
Redhawk5.5+P+

Gold Dots every time for my HD it's a CZ75B (9mm, not my .357 or .44mag) first 7-8 shots 124g GDHP +P, the rest Fiocchi cross circle NATO 115 +P+. Those are really hot and they don't flash.
Old October 21, 2012, 02:47 AM   #29
baccusboy

Federal HST 124, 124+P, 147, or 147+P
Speer Gold Dot in any of the same from 115+P on up.

I would stay away from Hornady Critical Defense due to a very high number of unrelated internet posts across various forums where people had dud rounds and hard primers (the problems continue -- most of these threads are recent). I have no comment on Critical Duty, as it is newer to the general shooting community. Again, the primers are the issue. Everything else about the bullet seems good to me (although at least one manufacturer of .45 pistols specifically states NOT to use Critical Defense in their guns due to hang-up of the tip).
Old October 21, 2012, 10:59 PM   #30
Redhawk5.5+P+

Quote:
Federal HST 124, 124+P, 147, or 147+P
Speer Gold Dot in any of the same from 115+P on up.

I would stay away from Hornady Critical Defense due to a very high number of unrelated internet posts across various forums where people had dud rounds and hard primers (the problems continue -- most of these threads are recent). I have no comment on Critical Duty, as it is newer to the general shooting community. Again, the primers are the issue. Everything else about the bullet seems good to me (although at least one manufacturer of .45 pistols specifically states NOT to use Critical Defense in their guns due to hang-up of the tip).
Yep, I never bought a Horaday. There prices are crazy, and I know they're not that good for the money, I'll keep my GDHP +P 124g at $00.25 a round.
Old October 22, 2012, 08:34 AM   #31
Webleymkv

In order of my preference:

Winchester 127gr +P+ Ranger T-Series
Speer 124gr +P Gold Dot
Cor-Bon 125gr +P JHP
Old October 24, 2012, 08:22 AM   #32
Helldrake

Why not Hydra-Shok? It's the FBI uses what CIA uses what NSA uses and what Fed Protective Services uses... Oh and that one little agency called secret service... If its good enough for them.. LOL you get the drift.. I've been using Hydra-Shok for a long time and I love it...
"They say that the best weapon is the one you never have to fire. I respectfully disagree. I prefer the weapon you only have to fire once. That’s how Dad did it, that’s how America does it, and it’s worked out pretty well so far" Tony Stark
Old October 24, 2012, 05:01 PM   #33
1hogfan83

Im certainly no expert but from most of the videos and reports I've seen shows the hyrda shoks coming apart. Just because they use the bullet dosent mean that other bullets cant perform as good or better than the bullet. The FBI has a set test, so many bullets have passed that test and has moved on that I just dont want "good enough", I want the best.
You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe—and shudder. James 2:19
"I do not fear the man that practices ten thousand kicks one time, I fear the man that practices one kick ten thousand times." Bruce Lee
Old October 24, 2012, 05:51 PM   #34
serf 'rett

Best ammo selection starts with the one which shoots each time and every time. Then I look at which produces the best groups from the pistol. If barriers may be involved, the bullet weight goes up. Availability is important. Plus, can I afford them?

Toting Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel currently.
Old October 24, 2012, 09:48 PM   #35
1hogfan83

Serf,
Where do you get your short barrels at?
You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe—and shudder. James 2:19
"I do not fear the man that practices ten thousand kicks one time, I fear the man that practices one kick ten thousand times." Bruce Lee
Old October 25, 2012, 01:49 PM   #36
Inazone

In the interest of using the same ammo for practice and carry, and not having deep pockets, I usually try to keep a supply of Fiocchi Extrema 124gr and Golden Saber 124gr or +P 124gr. Both have been problem-free in every gun I've run them through, and I find that I shoot 124gr more accurately than 115gr regardless of brand.