The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 21, 2012, 07:41 PM   #1
Prof Young

Large Pistol Primers Standard and Magnum

Loaders:

So I have two types of large pistol primers. I can't recall the brand names but one is for magnum and one is labeled for standard or magnum. What's the difference? Can I use the ones labeled magnum in standard loads?

Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old October 21, 2012, 08:54 PM   #2
jepp2

If you use a magnum primer in a load that was developed with a non-magnum primer, it "could" develop higher pressure. So good practices would suggest you drop your starting load slightly to compensate.

The magnum primers were developed for the harder to ignite powders like H110.

A good reference can be found here.
Old October 23, 2012, 10:17 PM   #3
publius

Yes, drop your powder charge if you use mag. primers in a standard load. On the other end, use magnum primers for mag. loads. I used some standard primers on some heavy .45 loads with H110 and it did not fully ignite, bullet stuck in barrel.
Old October 23, 2012, 11:26 PM   #4
Zekest Crowe

I think what the OP is asking is:

Winchester makes large pistol primer that is clearly marked on the box "STANDARD OR MAGNUM"

When I saw that box I was confused too! How can it be Standard -OR- Magnum?! I passed on the Winchester brand and purchased Remington...
Old October 24, 2012, 03:57 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

Prof Young,

There are different approaches to making a primer magnum. Some make it burn hotter and faster by just increasing the amount of priming mix. Others change the mix to add fuel components so it makes more gas for pressurizing a large case, but actually has lower brissance. The WLP primers may be of the latter sort, staying gentle enough for target loads, but making enough gas and flame for magnum loads. As near as I could tell when I used them about 20 years ago in the .45 ACP for target loads, Winchester WLP's presented no significant performance change over my more usual Federal 150's. I notice they've not made a standard/magnum combo primer like that in any other size, so it seems like it's something that only works out for them in the Large Pistol format with their priming mix.

Read this primer on primers.
NRA Patron Member

Last edited by Unclenick; September 13, 2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old September 12, 2013, 10:54 PM   #6
UncleLoodis

broken link

Uncle Nick, would you be so kind as to please check your link for primer on primers...I clicked, but it appears like the link no longer exists.

Thanks.

U.L.
Old September 13, 2013, 07:48 AM   #7
243winxb

Mysteries And Misconceptions Of The All-Important Primer Link http://www.shootingtimes.com/2011/01...motaip_200909/ WLP & Rem 2 1/2 are the only large pistol primers made by each company.
Old September 13, 2013, 08:52 AM   #8
David Bachelder

I have two boxes of the Winchester "Large Pistol For Standard or Magnum Pistol Loads" Marked as WLP.
Old September 13, 2013, 10:58 AM   #9
Unclenick
Staff

UncleLoodis,

It's the second time they've moved that article. 243winxb got the current location and I went back and fixed my link as well. Thanks for letting me know it was broken.

Nick
NRA Patron Member