The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Closed Thread

Old October 18, 2012, 06:43 AM   #26
rebs

I agree the response time for the police to arrive is scarry at the least. The police have suffered budget cuts and cut backs to the point of officers being laid off and the ones still there are working short handed. I also live in a rural area. I have a S&W 9 shot pump action short barrel riot shotgun. I keep it loaded with 00 buckshot, there is only my wife and myself in the house so I don't have to worry about children getting it. I believe it is a very good home defense gun, I prefer it to my AR for home defense. As a backup I have a Colt 1911 loaded with hollow points.
Old October 18, 2012, 09:26 AM   #27
Slopemeno

I often wonder how our ancestors were able to defend themselves through the hard times of the previous century with lowly single action revolvers and SxS shotguns. I mean- didn't they know what a serious handicap they were under?...

Get real. Check out the video of Clint Smith downing a plate rack with a single shot H&R Topper. A basic 5-shot pump shotgun with buckshot is plenty. Add an extension and a side saddle and your golden.
Old October 18, 2012, 09:56 AM   #28
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

To become law, a bill must pass in BOTH houses of Congress. That's why I made the comment about the House of Representatives.

Efficacy of a defensive firearm depends on one's individual circumstance and one's envisioned scenario. There is no such thing as, "One size fits all."

Not new, but valid: Mindset, skill set, gear set: In that order of importance.
Old October 18, 2012, 02:48 PM   #29
Deja vu

The last (only) time I had to call the police was on a home intruder. It took the police 31 min to get to my place.

As said many times. I carry a gun because I cant carry a police officer.

On the phone with 911 they told me to say in my room. I did as they asked, fortunately our home invader was a pair of racoons. I felt stupid but it also worried me that it took the police over 30 min to get to my home, what if it had been a deranged madman in my home? I guess that is why I keep the 870 near the bed.

all 25 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple
Old October 18, 2012, 02:58 PM   #30
coyota1

Deja vu, I have heard of these kind of 911 issues. Once you are on the phone with them your government is giving you orders, and if you disobey it can be used against you.
Old October 18, 2012, 09:30 PM   #31
mordis

Thanks for giving me some good advice guys. My biggest fear is not the single intruder, but the rising occurance of multiple intruders breaking in. Currently i only own my 6 shot revolver, thats only 2 shots on 3 guys, assuming i dont miss, which in a fight i will miss.

From what im gathering its time to start training with what ever i aquire and stop dreaming about EBR's.

I did compete a little bit in cowboy action and liked the pistol caliber lever gun. Maybe i should start there, cast attacks, easy recoil accurate.

P.S whats wrong with having the fantasy of being a 21st century minute man?
Old October 18, 2012, 11:48 PM   #32
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

"P.S whats wrong with having the fantasy of being a 21st century minute man?"

Nothing--as long as you are fully aware that it's a fantasy. Never lie to yourself.
Old October 19, 2012, 07:15 AM   #33
Beretta686

I love this forum! It's the perfect window into people's John Wayne fantasies.

Quote:
Thanks for giving me some good advice guys. My biggest fear is not the single intruder, but the rising occurance of multiple intruders breaking in. Currently i only own my 6 shot revolver, thats only 2 shots on 3 guys, assuming i dont miss, which in a fight i will miss.
You're kidding right? You really expect to be duking it in your living room with multiple determined assailants who will continue to press the attack in the face of armed resistance like Bruce Willis in Die Hard 4, when he takes on an Army of thugs armed with automatic weapons with his Sig P220? I'm glad I don't live in your neighborhood.

Evidently you've never actually seen what happens when someone lights off a round inside a building. I seriously doubt your home invaders are going to immediately execute Battle Drill React to Contact and engage you with suppressive fire. Rather I'd expect them to react with what's called "Death Blossom" as they immediately flee from your house and you're both left with short-term hearing loss from the concussive effects of the round being discharged in such a confined area. You may also notice the need to change your underwear.

Quote:
Nothing--as long as you are fully aware that it's a fantasy. Never lie to yourself.
Wise words indeed.

I confess that most every time I watch a Miami Vice rerun, I go get my MAC-10 from my safe and play with it while watching Crocket & Tubbs kick ass. But I know that's just fantasy not real life. Just as I know that for all the keyboard jocking everyone on here does, in the bizarre off chance it hits the fan and you have to actually use your weapon, you're going to be so scared you'll forget 99% of all the ninja stuff you read on the internet.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Old October 19, 2012, 08:13 AM   #34
coyota1

I would say the best thing to put your mind at ease would be to purchase a high cap 40 cal pistol. If you can't do the job with this, then you needed more practice.
Old October 19, 2012, 08:34 AM   #35
2damnold4this

Quote:
I did compete a little bit in cowboy action and liked the pistol caliber lever gun.
That should work just fine.
Old October 19, 2012, 09:11 AM   #36
jimbob86

Quote:
Will lever actions be sparred the ban stick?
Probably temporarily..... the gunbanners usually take the elephant in bites....

For home defense, I want a shotgun anyhow.......

That does not make any sort of gun control OK in my book, though.

If you want to shoot up your neighbohood with semi-auto EBR because some crankhead tried to break in.... YOU deal with the consequenses of your actions.

I have an AR ..... it'd be a bad choice to shoot a burglar with, considering I have my Carry gun handy, and 3 shotguns in the safe.....

http://nefirearm.com/
Old October 19, 2012, 02:08 PM   #37
coyota1

Quote:
For home defense, I want a shotgun anyhow.......
I have to agree with Mr. jimbo here. A shotgun has tremendous stopping power. I have a five shot pump loaded with No. 1 buck. The pellets aren't so big that collateral damage would likely occur, but would have plenty of punch for stopping multiple deadly intruders.
Old October 20, 2012, 11:09 PM   #38
DD4lifeusmc

home defense

well I guess my question is what am I defending my home against?
If it's the government, you ain't going to win no matter what weapon you got.
Just ask Randy Weaver or David Koresh.
If it is just against looters then again it's not so much the weapon but shot placement
while in a high stress situation.
Where I live unless you are literally a snake in the grass, i can see you coming from over a 500 yds out. But at that range don't necessarily know your intentions.
But I guess I can work up with a bolt action 10 shot 22 cal pellet gun, which can just hurt you or kill you depending on shot placement.
Or a .44 cal revolver, two actually. 6 shots times two
Or a .44cal revolver carbine 6 more shots
Or a .54 cal sharps shooting 535 grain slug.
Notice non are auto or even semi auto.
Or I could just open up with the sharps at long distance.
Then up close i got 10 and 12 guage double barrels.
But as I said, depends on who or what you are defending against and shot placement.
My revolvers are by the bed along with the 10 guage.
Dog rarely barks unless outside, but has a growl I can hear.
Don't get in a fist fight with an old man. He'll just shoot you.
Now i need my beauty sleep. Last nights didn't help any!
Old October 20, 2012, 11:35 PM   #39
Meeteetse

I must make a few comments.
First; if you start shooting long distance at a perceived threat without knowing their intentions, you will be the criminal. If you are being shot at, then defend yourself, but don't pull out the ole' Sharps and blaze away at a simple intruder.

Second; Based on the guns you mentioned, revolvers and a rifle, you have more than enough to defend yourself "if" you know how to use them. I agree with many here who suggest a good basic pump shotgun. It does not need to be tactical or even cool, just dependable.

and last; if you buy an AR without knowing how and when to use it, it will not defend you better than the guns you already have. If you are really concerned, get training and then decide if you need additional guns. The AR is NOT a cure all or perfect weapon for the average guy. It is a weapon best used by the well trained. At home, most of us are better off with a shotgun. Sleep well and keep the shotgun near has worked well for 150 years. Technology hasn't changed that.

p.s. being from Wyoming I'm surprised you don't own a shotgun. Growing up there, besides my .22 rifle, a shotgun was my second gun and my 30/30 was third. They can all defend the ranch. . . .
Old October 21, 2012, 11:14 AM   #40
tobnpr

Don't forget that the President doesn't create/pass our nation's laws...

There has been NO appetite for gun control legislation in Congress- even the Democrats know that's political suicide these days, it's what killed Al Gore...

Far too many firearms owners- Republican AND Democrat- for this issue to gain any momentum anymore.
Old October 21, 2012, 02:59 PM   #41
couldbeanyone

Quote:
I know every were i turn, i hear that semi auto mag fed rifles are the only way to go.
How else are you going to pin down the enemy until you can call in an airstrike?
Old October 21, 2012, 03:54 PM   #42
Pilot

The President can do a lot of damage to gun rights through Executive Orders which will be upheld by the SCOTUS as he will get at least two judge appointees which I guarantee will be anti gun like his last two. There are many other ways to circumvent Congress through these means, BATF regulations, DHS, etc.

Yeah, if he's reelected, I'm worried.
Old October 21, 2012, 10:33 PM   #43
scottd913

didn't governor Mitt Romney pass one of the country's biggest anti gun laws ever when he signed the assault weapons ban in Massachusetts?

didn't President Obama pass law to allow carrying in state parks?

not that i stand on one side or the other but seems every election we have everyone bloveating fear for guns, god and gays!

I'm sick of it, its a game of mis-information bought and paid for by greedy cooperations and greedy cooperate executives; theres only one reason for billions of dollars that are spent on elections and if we get more judges to give more rights to the greedy corporations ( such as when they said they have the same rights as an individual ) soon enough we will all be slaves to them and gun laws will be the least of our worries!

to sum this up...keep chasing the carrot and all you will have to eat... will be carrots!!!!!!!!!!!
Old October 22, 2012, 03:09 AM   #44
Flopsweat

Yeah, it was pretty big - not quite as bad as California's but bad just the same. I'm also not OK with what he said when he signed it:

"Deadly assault weapons have no place in Massachusetts. These guns are not made for recreation or self-defense. They are instruments of destruction with the sole purpose of hunting down and killing people."

How he got an NRA endorsement after that stunt is beyond me.

Obama signed a law that had a rider on it that allowed carry in national parks. The law itself was one of his pet deals and the Republicans snuck the totally unrelated gun part in. It's an old trick that both sides like to pull. He had to make a choice of killing his own bill or just putting up with it. So he gets 0 points for that one.

Meanwhile back at the original topic, I personally figure a 12 gauge or a handgun should be plenty for most home invasions. Not expecting one anytime soon, but at least I've given it some thought.
Old October 22, 2012, 03:22 PM   #45
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

More politics than there is useful information.