The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 10, 2012, 01:00 PM   #1
jjcbuck

1911 question

Just this morning I noticed by grip safety is not operative on my 1911. It has approx. 12k rounds through it. I'm guessing it's time for a new sear spring. Is there anything else I should be checking?

Thanks

jjcbuck
Old October 10, 2012, 01:23 PM   #2
dahermit

Has it worked since the last time you had the gun apart? You can get the finger of the spring that is supposed to operate the grip safety over the grip safety instead of under...then it does not work. Or, you might have bent it... In any event, take it apart and look at the spring; I cannot imagine it not working if it is not broken off.
Old October 10, 2012, 01:31 PM   #3
jjcbuck

1911 question

It is in the right place - it appears to have a slight roll to the left that may be caused by the contact point on the grip safety which also seems to be slightly rounded to the left. Bending that right tang back a little seemed to activate the grip safety again buy after a few times it ceased working again.
Old October 10, 2012, 03:20 PM   #4
polyphemus

Both sear spring and grip safety are inexpensive replacement parts,they show signs of wear and they don't work,bending the grip leaf temporarily resolves the issue it could be that it has lost functionality and in addition may have damaged the grip safety.New ones are likely the solution.
Old October 10, 2012, 03:39 PM   #5
drail

If you're saying you bent the spring back and it immediately went weak again then that spring has no temper and is junk. Buy new one from Brown, Wilson or any of the big names. Factory springs are mostly junk. Is it the orginal factory spring? How old is it?
Old October 10, 2012, 09:09 PM   #6
jjcbuck

1911 question

As I mentioned the gun has approx. 12k rounds through it and has never been refurbished except for a new extractor. All other components are original and about 8 years old. A local smith built it for me and has now moved away. Caspian race ready frame (Commander) and a Caspian slide. Mostly Ed Brown guts. I have no complaints.

Thanks for the input
Old October 11, 2012, 09:52 AM   #7
Hunter Customs

In all my years of working on 1911's I've never had a sear spring lose it's tension.
However I'm not saying that can't happen.

If Caspian cut the frame for the grip safety sometimes the radius cut they do is very generous, thus allowing the grip safety a lot of wobble.
This along with other things may be the problem.

Here's something else to check.
The slot in the grip frame that the tab on the sear spring fits into to hold it in place may be to large allowing the sear spring to walk to the left.
If this is the case stake the slot in the frame on the left side of the tab.

Also check to make sure the tab on the sear spring is not sheared off the spring.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old October 11, 2012, 10:31 AM   #8
drail

Maybe it just needs a little more "bend".
Old October 11, 2012, 10:38 AM   #9
polyphemus

The Occam's Razor principle states that when there are two solutions to a problem the simplest one is the right one.Eight years and 12,000 rounds later is a fairly long period of time for a machining traced issue to show up.Odds on a new sear spring does it,I would also replace the safety because of the wear signs,however failing that I would then proceed to stake things on but then I would be staking new parts and not be out that much.
Old October 12, 2012, 09:11 AM   #10
jjcbuck

1911 question

spring appears to be seated and riding the grip safety properly.

I have an Ed Brown sear spring on the way - I will keep you posted.

Thanks for the time and input.
Old October 12, 2012, 03:46 PM   #11
jjcbuck

1911 Question

OK - the Ed Brown sear spring arrived an hour ago and my problem is solved. Grip safety is once again fully functional.

Brownell's service was exceptional - regular mail.

Thanks to those offering advice.
Old October 13, 2012, 12:24 AM   #12
Jammer Six

Gunsmith.
Old October 15, 2012, 04:45 AM   #13
1911Tuner

Springy

A quick test.

Cock the hammer and apply light upward pressure on the underside of the grip safety tang. Pull the trigger. If the hammer falls, you have a grip safety problem. If it doesn't, you have a spring problem.

Quote:
You can get the finger of the spring that is supposed to operate the grip safety over the grip safety instead of under.

Um...Yer gonna hafta 'splain that one.

You can get the left leg under the sear, and have the hammer fail to cock...but the right leg over the grip safety? That'd be a trick.

Last edited by 1911Tuner; October 15, 2012 at 04:51 AM.