The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 20, 2001, 11:36 AM   #1
Lethal Farce

Tried some new media last night. Lyman Tuf-Nut. Very dusty combared to corn-cob. It cleaned very quickly, but left the brass really dusty. I guess w/ nut type media I need to rinse w/ water? Any ideas?
Thanks LF
Old March 20, 2001, 12:32 PM   #2
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Wouldn't worry about it - maybe blow 'em off prior to loading and perhaps rubbing loaded rounds between a coupla towels afterwards. I certainly wouldn't go through the hassle of rinsing them off as that's a benny of using media rather than washing. At times, when "starting" new media, I've left the lid off the tumbler (I've a vibratory type), turn it on to agitate & vaccumed the dust coming off the top - I don't bother anymore.
Old March 20, 2001, 03:56 PM   #3
Hipower

I use crushed walnut media and the dust bothers me a lot. It's an abasive residue left inside your case. I cringe when I think about what happens when it's blasted down the bore of my Kriger.

I'm I just being paranoid?
Old March 20, 2001, 04:11 PM   #4
Hip's Ax

I use walnut to clean the cases when I first get them home from the range. I always use corn cob for the final polish before loading. No dust problems that way.
Old March 20, 2001, 06:57 PM   #5
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Hipower, it's only walnut - it's an abrasive to brass, not good barrel steel.

Yup, you're just being paranoid. (I think)
Old March 20, 2001, 09:03 PM   #6

I am surprised to hear that. I have tried several different tumbling media over the years and recently bought the Lyman Tuff Nutt and found that my dust problems were over. I don't get any dust at all on my brass using that media. It also cleans so much better than anything else I have tried that I can't believe it. My brass comes out like a mirror. I tumble for about 12 hours, but I really think it is as clean as it is going to get after a couple hours. I switched to this Tuff Nutt because of the dust I was getting with whatever I was using before. I was always worried that it was an abrasive to my sizing die.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old March 20, 2001, 10:04 PM   #7
Lethal Farce

444, Do you add anything to the media? I was thinking of maybe trying a little water.
LF
Old March 20, 2001, 10:20 PM   #8

Yes, to every third (or so) loads I add some Midway case polisher. One thing I have always wondered about is whether using the media too long causes it to be ground down into dust ? I am on my first bowl full of Tuf Nut so maybe when I get down to the bottom of the bag I will get more dust.
Old March 20, 2001, 11:09 PM   #9
Ricco

Anyone notice the citrus smell with the Midway cleaner. I wonder if lemon juice would work? Anybody ever try alternate methods?
Old March 20, 2001, 11:19 PM   #10
shooter22

I use a 3:1 mix of walnut to corn with about two tablespoons of New Flitz Tumbler media cleaner. No It Does Not Have Ammonia in it. The cases come oout better than new after about two to three hours.

shooter22
Old March 21, 2001, 09:00 AM   #11
MikeFromIowa

I just started using the Lyman Corn Cob media with their "green" cleaner in it and have been very impressed with its cleaning ability and very low dust. I still use my regular corn cob with Midway Polish as a second step, to "shine" the cases before I load 'em. Tried walunt and found it way to dusty to use inside, which is impractical with a foot of snow on the ground.

-Mike From Iowa
Old March 22, 2001, 01:21 AM   #12
glock23

I have used white rice for about 3 years now and it works grate and it cheap with the tumber runing add 3 or 4 teaspoons for each pound allow 5 minutes for mixing befor adding brass i use midway brass polish good luck G23...
Old March 22, 2001, 01:48 AM   #13
muzzletalk

Just like glock23, I have been using white rice mixed with a little corn cob media. I then use some non amonia car polish about every 3 to 4 sessions. I find that it works very well and since rice is so cheap here in southern arizona, it helps on the wallet.
Old March 22, 2001, 03:40 PM   #14
Ark

I use two steps when cleaning brass. First, I tumble it in walnut media where a quarter cup of diluted auto shampoo is added. After de-priming and resizing I tumble it in corncob media with two tablespoons of auto polish added. It’s very shiny and there is no any dust. I’ve got this recipe from OSCAR1 almost a year ago and use it since. Ark
Old March 22, 2001, 04:32 PM   #15
Lethal Farce

I bought a bottle of Lyman polish. It helped, as far as shine and keeping down the dust. Thanks for all your replies.
LF
Old March 22, 2001, 06:46 PM   #16
maxwayne

Hey Ark, I am Maxwayne here, but on Shooters I am oscar. Glad that you are happy with the "recipe".
Old March 22, 2001, 07:08 PM   #17
Keith J

White rice?

That's no where as cheap as corn cob grit or walnut hulls. I remember paying $6 for 25 lbs of rice, direct from the mill. Local feed store has the corncob grit for about half that plus it only takes 1/3 the weight to fill my tumbler, in my own estimate.

I wonder how the higher density of rice affects the polishing/cleaning?

BTW, I've washed walnut shell. I used a 4" piece of PVC with a swatch of window screen taped to the bottom to act as a cleaning column. Load it with a slurry of detergent and water, then rinse it with a gallon. Spread to dry in the sun in a large box. Good as new, no dust.
Old March 23, 2001, 11:54 AM   #18
stuckatwork

Another way to help with the dusty walnut media problem is to add a piece of a dryer sheet while tumbling. Just tear the sheet into 1 inch long strips lengthwise. Add to the tumbler. The sheet catches the free dust and removes any static that builds up in the plastic bowl. And, you brass comes out smelling spring time fresh!

I'm not kidding, this really works. Try it.

stuckatwork