The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 1, 2012, 03:39 AM   #76
warnerwh

If you shoot outdoors the concussion isn't as bad as indoors. There's a range called the english pit in Vancouver that is an outdoor range and inexpensive too. I won't use indoor ranges because of the extra noise and the air quality. English Pit is just under 18 dollars for as long as you'd like to stay that day. You can use all the ranges or just one.

Anything you might need to know regarding shooting or anything firearms related around Portland just PM me. Also if you and your husband would like some help learning to use handguns I can help you both. The 40+ years experience I have is almost exclusively with handguns. I'm not NRA certified but have helped many people shoot learn to shoot properly. It would be free.
Old October 1, 2012, 04:11 PM   #77
jzieba

Have the same issue with my GF. Tiny hands. She has issues with my XD45 as you described. The issue is the double stack mag and the width of the grip. Has to reach around it pull the trigger. We have been looking at the following for her(all are single stack):

M&P Shield(loves it!)
Beretta Nano(close second)
Bersa BP9
Taurus 709 Slim

She shot the XDS and the Bersa Thunder as well, but hated them. Didnt like the Rugers or the Walthers at all. To blocky according to her.

Good luck in our search.
Old October 1, 2012, 04:55 PM   #78
STW

My wife has visited every gun store in town trying on guns because of her hand size. Her findings:
M&P Shield 9mm - comfortable and fits well but low capacity for classes.
Bursa Thunder .380 - this ended up as her purse gun
M&P 9 - This is close and she uses it the most. However, she plans on having someone work on the grips to make them even smaller than the current small because it gives her trouble during one handed failure drills.
SP101 - Her favorite revolver she just wishes is was more cowboyish.
Blackhawk - too big for comfort but it does have that cowboy thing
SR9 - not enough different from her M&P to bother changing and the capacity isn't as high.
Single Six - her first gun but only a .22
CZ 75 - trigger way to far away
1911 - on her wish list but it takes a lot of pennies to buy quality
Those are all I can recall.
Old October 4, 2012, 06:29 PM   #79
TAKtical

Rent an M&P shield. Its very small. Also very accurate.
Due to several differences of opinion with staff, I am choosing to no longer do business on this forum. Everyone that has a pending order will need to contact me via email at [email protected] Thanks,
-Tom&Tricia
Old October 4, 2012, 11:46 PM   #80
Lost Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilcris
Oh, sorry! I didn't explain that very well. When my husband turned around, he saw me crying hysterically. The sound and the noise percussion just overwhelmed me.
I apologize for the inference, but I have to ask, Was it a GOOD crying or a BAD crying?

Back to serious parts of the question:

The advice about letting the discharge of the be a surprise to you is extremely important. Anticipation of the flash, noise and recoil of the discharge is also known as flinching, and once the flinch has developed, it is the very devil to get rid of. This is a primary purpose of practicing trigger control with an unloaded gun (dry firing) and one of the primary uses of a gun similar to your main weapon chambering 22 rimfire (or at least, using your main weapon with lower power loads).

Good luck.

Lost Sheep
Old October 5, 2012, 06:09 AM   #81
darkgael

Hands

Quote:
small-hands hands or for-a-woman
"nobody, not even the rain, has such small hands" - e.e. cummings
Old October 5, 2012, 07:49 AM   #82
Skans

My suggestion would be:

Colt Mustang .380.

A lot of folks might recommend other small 9mm's or .380's that are Double Action Only. The problem with double action only guns and really small hands is that they tend to have long heavy triggers. If you have small hands and short fingers, you will be struggling with the trigger. The Colt Mustang (Sig also makes a variation of the same gun) is a true single action only, which translates to a short, light trigger pull. The J-frame S&W will have a heavy trigger pull as well, as do most revolvers. The right SAO semi-auto is actually better for really small hands than a revolver. If the Colt Mustang is too small, then try a Walther .380.
Old October 5, 2012, 08:56 AM   #83
Snort

Another one I can now recommend is the H&K P30. It's not inexpensive by any stretch of the imagination, but as a guy with tiny hands, it fits me quite well once I've changed the side panels and backstrap all to the smallest options.
Old October 5, 2012, 10:28 AM   #84
Hilljack

My wife has a Ruger LCP .380 and absolutely loves it. Good fit for her, light compact, easy to use.
Old October 5, 2012, 07:25 PM   #85
Boatme98

How about a used Colt Gov't .380 0r Mustang?
I have a Gov't. model and every woman that has fired it has coveted it.
If your'e comforatable with a SA, it could be exactly what you need.