The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 2, 2012, 11:47 PM   #1
pumkin

10/22, Barrel -stock varmint, or aft. mark.

I really don't like the feel of a 10/22. It always felt like to much gun for what it was. Most of my life I had the little Browning that breaks in half and loads through the stock. That got stole from work, so I got this worn out 1960 Russian bolt that the romanians used in training. So I believe.

I'm thinking you cant beat the 10/22 economically, so I need to get one. Accuracy is high on my expectations. I saw a 10/22 with a stock bull barrel. It was shiny blue, with some slight outer twist on outside.

Also the was a stainless one, with stress marks on outside barrel, both wood stocks. Both around 400 dollar range.

Question is, am I better off buying standard gun, and putting a aftermarket bull barrel on it? If so, which do you reccomend, and a guess at making the conversion.

These two models I described, is one better than the other? They both had 20" barrels.

The trigger guard and safety looked really cheap on these. It was made of plastic. The saleman told his personal one was aluminum.

Any suggestions would be welcome.
Old October 3, 2012, 07:00 AM   #2
jmr40

I like the Hogue aftermarket stocks on them. The newer versions seem to be more accurate than the older versions even with the factory sporter barrel.

http://s1129.beta.photobucket.com/us...34186476382478

http://s1129.beta.photobucket.com/us...32432925205926

This is factory other than the stock.

The next rifle has a heavy fluted Shooters Choice barrel I ordered from Cabelas and a Hogue stock. Everything else is factory including the trigger.

http://s1129.beta.photobucket.com/us...50221099802025

http://s1129.beta.photobucket.com/us...41989190968538

If you liked the Browning then consider this.

http://ruger.com/products/1022Takedown/models.html
Old October 3, 2012, 08:54 PM   #3
bedlamite

All Ruger 10/22s including the target model use a really loose chamber. If accuracy is important, than you either need an aftermarket barrel, or send the OEM to CPC. Ruger switched from aluminum to a plastic trigger housing a few years ago, you can still find older models at gun shows.
Old October 4, 2012, 10:32 AM   #4
pumkin

I thought as popular as these are, I could get more feedback than two posts.
One guy said there chambered loose. Why is that. Is that meant for when rapid firing, to compensate for the heat? If I go with a tighter chamber, what differences would I see? Like I said I never owned one, but heard they were extremely accurate out of tthe box, even the base model? Is that or was that true? I need to buy one, and need to know how to go about it. It seems these two bull barreled ones I mentioned in the opening of the thread, someone out there would have experience with them. What kind of groups will they shoot??? Thnks to the two guys who posted.
Old October 4, 2012, 06:39 PM   #5
bedlamite

I can't answer why, I can only assume it's for reliability with all types of ammo. Head over to http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php for more info on the 10/22.
Old October 4, 2012, 07:02 PM   #6
Panfisher

If you thought the standard 10/22's were too much gun for what they are, and you don't like the feel why on earth would you buy one? I have one and freely admit that while I shoot it a lot it never really "feels" right.

There are plenty of the little break down brownings out there if that was the "one" for you. My favorites for handling have been Marlin 39 (Golden if you don't mind a full size but very accurate rifle), or one of the 39 TDS if you can find one. Also the Henry's are super slick little lever guns, and if you like looking for them a Winchester 9422.
Old October 6, 2012, 02:37 PM   #7
pumkin

thanks bedlamite, that looks like a good site for this.
Old October 8, 2012, 06:14 PM   #8
sholling

Generally speaking an out of the box 10/22 with bulk ammo is a 2-3MOA shooter. With a little money (barrel, trigger, etc) and a bit of work you can get that under 1MOA with target ammo. And if you've done the mods really well you can get that well sub-MOA with match ammo - if you do your part.

If accuracy is important then go with an aftermarket barrel and a wood or wood laminate stock. Synthetic stocks, especially Hogue stocks flex too much to allow the rifle to reach it's full accuracy potential. As far as barrel selection Green Mountain match barrels ($120-180) are usually considered the bang for the buck champion with accuracy potential beyond most of the people shooting them. The next step up are Kidd and Volquartsen match barrels but they run $250+. None of those Bentz chambered match barrels will chamber Stingers.

http://www.shootersdiscount.com/cart/
http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/

The thing is that there is more than a barrel swap involved in eking out the last bit of accuracy. For example right out of the box the triggers suck and you'll need to either do a trigger job (or have one done), or install a trigger job in a box kit, or replace the trigger assembly with a match trigger. The single takedown screw and/or the weight of the barrel means that at some point you may want to bed the stock or 1" of the barrel or both. And finally you'll have to do some trial and error to find out what target/match grade of ammo your barrel likes best. 10/22s can be made seriously accurate but there is time and money involved. These are three of my half dozen.

If you want great accuracy without having to modify the rifle then the budget solution is a bolt action CZ455 American but it could still use a trigger job.

Last edited by sholling; October 8, 2012 at 06:30 PM.
Old October 9, 2012, 12:05 PM   #9
nathanrw

You can spend as much money as you have stomach for on these rifles. Since your mentioning the heavy barreled version I'm guessing that that is what you want. If your going to replace the barrel anyway just pick up a used carbine that has metal parts. Places like Clark can provide you with a barrel and slick everything up for you.
http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/longgun.htm
With a smooth trigger/action job and well balanced stock you should have a rifle that is more accurate than bulk ammo will allow it. Here in KS I've seen plenty of 10/22's for under 250 with bull barrels on them already. If you wanted something lighter you could always go with a carbon barrel from Magnum Research.
Old October 9, 2012, 07:13 PM   #10
BerdanSS

Mine has the aluminum trigger housing. Hmmm mine must be special, I can keep all rounds in a quarter size spot all day at 50 yards. Didn't think that was bad from a semi auto .22, I defiantly wouldn't call it inaccurate.
Old October 9, 2012, 08:09 PM   #11
sholling

A quarter is pretty close to 1" and at 50yds a quarter size group translates into roughly 2MOA, that's pretty good for a factory 10/22. Just to give you an idea of potential the first 10/22 shot this 10rd group of Wolf Match at 50m (54.68yds). The rifle is capable of far better but the shooter still needs a lot of work.

The photo below was a first time out with a new 10/22 build and I was just zeroing the scope at 25m (27.34yds) before moving to 50m. Unfortunately there was a wait and I ran out of time.

Old October 9, 2012, 08:26 PM   #12
BerdanSS

I do love that thumb hole stock I think it's funny though that my dads 54+ year old western field bolt gun with knock down spent .22 casing all day without effort unlike most new guns. They don't make them like that anymore.
Old October 9, 2012, 09:03 PM   #13
sholling

Ruger uses a fairy sloppy chamber to facilitate feeding and minimize returns for repair and that limits accuracy. The Bentz chamber used in match grade semi auto 22 barrels is a huge improvement without killing reliability but still seems loose as a goose compared to an bolt action Anschutz. A CZ452/453/455 is usually (luck of the draw) a pretty good compromise with accuracy often on par with well done 10/22s. I like 10/22s enough that I have a half dozen including one I'm working on now and enjoy shooting them more than I do my Annie.

FWIW the other challenge is the quality of budget 22 has gotten pretty bad with too much round to round variation and way too many fliers.
Old October 16, 2012, 07:24 PM   #14
bladexz2

Bells and whistles

Hi Sholling,
What stock are you using on one of the three guns above. The one that is on the grass on the white box. The wood looks excellent and I'd love to get one. Could you give me the name and number for the manufacturer please. I want to put together a special Ruger1022 with all the bells and whistles.

My e-mail address is: [email protected]

Fred
Old October 18, 2012, 10:15 PM   #15
sholling

Email sent.
Old October 19, 2012, 08:51 PM   #16
bladexz2

Hi Sholling,

Did not get your e-mail please try again or you can call me I'm up late nights.

1-317-293-6449

What stock are you using on one of the three guns above. The one that is on the grass on the white box. The wood looks excellent and I'd love to get one. Could you give me the name and number for the manufacturer please. I want to put together a special Ruger1022 with all the bells and whistles.

My e-mail address is: [email protected]

Fred