The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 28, 2012, 07:28 PM   #26
PT-92

Quote:
WW2

SPEMack618

I have complimented my C9 with an Hi-Point 995 carbine. Got the 10 round mags for the carbine that also work in the pistol! This carbine always attracts attention at the range!...

Very good suggestion. I too did this only with the .45acp Hi Point handgun and corresponding carbine. I already had a couple of Kel-Tec Sub2K's in 9mm (here again complementing my 9mm handguns) which I also highly recommend.

The idea of a handgun and corresponding rifle/carbine has been around at least since the Western days, but I rarely see people doing this anymore (at least that I know of). One exception though are the cowboy action shooters where it’s indeed commonplace.

-Cheers
Old September 28, 2012, 09:43 PM   #27
Cheapshooter

"I am not a gun snob by any means, or so I like to think, but I personally do not own a Hi-Point. However, that being said, I will never disparage a man for purchasing one, especially if he can't afford anything better to protect himself, home, or loved ones."

You sir, are certainly NOT a gun snob! Not particularly liking a certain gun is not what gun snobbery, and Hi-Pointaphobia ia about. It's the "They're junk, and I haven't shot one because I wouldn't own such a pot metal POS" attitude that makes a gun snob.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old September 29, 2012, 06:44 AM   #28
Patrice

Hhmmm....I don't own a Hi-point, but I'm tempted every time I see one. I hear good things about them from most of the folks that own one (or more).

Side Question---Tell me, someone....I know you have to use a punch to take the pin(s) out to clean a Hi-point. But how do you lube the things without taking the gun apart? Hi-point doesn't recommend taking it apart to clean except every X-hundred rounds--but how does one lubricate the guns w/o striping it down??? [I'm guessing that perhaps the CLP/Breakfree spray cleaning products could be used, but I've never used said products as a "lube."] --Patrice

Last edited by Patrice; September 30, 2012 at 06:14 AM.
Old September 29, 2012, 11:50 PM   #29
FFournier

I commend Hi Point for doing what they do. Supply a low cost reliable hand gun for people that otherwise may not be able to defend themselves if the need presented itself. Like most have said, they will not win any beauty contest, but neither will a Glock. Between the two, I would get a Hi Point. I rather buy something that cheap, ugly and reliable, with a lifetime warenty then something that's expensive, ugly and reliable with what, a 30 day warenty?
Old September 30, 2012, 09:27 AM   #30
osbornk

I keep seeing comments that a Hi-Point is a reliable pistol for people who cannot afford anything better. I don't think that reflects many of us who own one. I can afford any pistol I want but I bought both a Hi-Point C9 and a little Phoenix HP-22. I could not justify spending a lot of money on a "pretty" pistol when I could buy a reliable and accurate pistol for not a lot of money. I retired debt free 10 years ago at 55 by being frugal and not buying more expensive products than I need to get the job done. If a pistol goes bang every time I pull the trigger and hits what I am aiming at, what more do I need? Why do I need pretty when I don't plan on anyone seeing it unless they are looking at it pointing at them?
Old September 30, 2012, 11:26 AM   #31
FFournier

^^
Well, if you you've always just gotten what you need to " get the job done", then where's your joy in life? Sure, everyone here could have just one Hi Point to get the job done, but there is also a level of joy we derive from the guns we have, aside from the fact that they go bang. That's what's important in life, joy, not just getting the job done. I hate that. It's boring and mundane. I could listen to music on a transistor radio, or watch TV on a 13 inch black and white. Both get the job done, but that's about it. I'm not retired, and don't want to be. I have what to me is the best job in the world. I'm an Airline Captain for the largest airline in the world. And for the past 25 years, I have looked forward to going to "work" every day that I do, which is only 14 days a month. I have been all over the world many times. Seen places and thing most people will never see. Done things most people only dream about. And to top it off, I get paid very well to play with some very big and expensive toys. Plus, I have the best office views you will ever see. No, retirement is not something I'm looking forward to, and thankfully will not have to face it for 10 more years. I've never lived my life doing what I need to do to get the job done. And never will.

Last edited by FFournier; September 30, 2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old September 30, 2012, 11:51 AM   #32
huntinaz

They look like big squirt guns! Lump me into the "gun snob" group I suppose, but they look too ridiculous for me to ever own one. I can do better. For $150, I'd rather buy something else. Anything else... not even just shooting related would serve me better than a clunky, enormous, ugly, squirt-gun pistol that may or may not function as amazingly reliably as eveyone seems to suggest.
Old September 30, 2012, 11:55 AM   #33
lapetrarca53

Well, from my observations on different forums, the majority of Hi-Point detractors have never owned, held or shot a Hi-Point ffirearm but, they draw theit conclusions based on stories from a "friend, that knows this guy, that has a cousin that has a friend that told him about this guy that knew a guy that had a Hi-Point.......".

Seems that even people that don't own one but, had the opportuniy to shoot will at least acknowledge that ,at their price point, Hi-Points perform quite nicely and, at the very least, provide a platform for a good, value minded starting point for an HD gun.

Reference the above post.
Old September 30, 2012, 02:00 PM   #34
huntinaz

Quote:
Reference the above post.
Haha, I know. I'm such a snob. I have held one though, and it was ridiculous. Wouldn't need to shoot one to know that I would never want one. I make up a vast minority of the gun market as a whole, however.

If I want home defense on a budget, I'll put $150-$200 into a used pump shotgun.
Old September 30, 2012, 02:13 PM   #35
Cheapshooter

Actually the previous posters aren't true gun snobs. They just don't particularly like the looks, or the feel of Hi-Points. Myself, I can't stand the look of a Beretta PX4 Storm! To be a true gun snob you must insult, decry, and degrade anyone who dare even mention having a good experience with a Hi-Point. Then more insults if you disagree with them. Most everyone posting on this Hi-Point thread has said about the same thing. Weather or not they own one, or would never own one. "They are what they are". Low cost, basic firearms.
Old September 30, 2012, 03:30 PM   #36
osbornk

FFournier--"Well, if you you've always just gotten what you need to " get the job done", then where's your joy in life?"

There is joy in life beyond handguns and work. I retired early so I could enjoy my children, grandchildren and other hobbies. I wouldn't take anything for the time I have been able to spend with my grandchildren that I would have missed if I had continued to work. I would have missed the rides through the rural Virginia mountains with my friends every week in the summer time on one of my two BMW motorcycles if I had not retired. If I had continued to work, I would have missed camping trips and riding my 4X4 ATV or 4X4 F-150 on my brother's farm. It also takes more time than is available after work to mow the 3 acres of my lawn and take care of my herd of goats, donkey and pony that lives on the rest of my acreage.

Everyone has different priorities.
Old October 1, 2012, 08:01 AM   #37
TJx

^^^^ +1
Old October 1, 2012, 10:17 AM   #38
FFournier

Osbornk, glad to hear that. You do have a lot of joy in your life. That's what life is all about. Now, if I could give some advise?? More goats. Get more goat. That way you won't have to mow at all...lol.
Old October 1, 2012, 05:14 PM   #39
osbornk

I had goats as a kid and I have had them here for 13 years. There are a few problems with goats:

1. You can keep a goat anywhere it wants to be. If it wants to get out of the field, it will always find a way. They love the neighbor's grape vines and they can strip the bark right off an apple tree.

2. They don't eat evenly and they don't eat much regular grass. They would much rather eat the leaves off of briars or trees. They like poison oak and only certain weeds. You also have to feed the suckers in the winter.

3. The get eaten by a lot of things. I just lost a baby one. I suspect it was a coyote or our roaming bald eagle. Dogs like to get them also. That is why I have a donkey. It is supposed to protect goats and sheep from coyotes and dogs but I sometimes wonder.

I got the goats because I have 2 or 3 acres that are so steep I can't mow it even with a 4X4 tractor and a bush hog.

Also, I only mow about three acres of my own. I've been mowing my neighbor's 4 or 5 acres all summer as he takes chemo for Lymphoma. He is married to my sister-in-law so I need him to get well.

Last edited by osbornk; October 1, 2012 at 05:26 PM.
Old October 2, 2012, 11:48 AM   #40
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Now, if I could give some advise?? More goats.
Quote:
I had goats as a kid and I have had them here for 13 years. There are a few problems with goats:
Taking this thread OT, Now that really gets my GOAT!!! LOL