The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 23, 2012, 07:09 AM   #1
chrisintexas

how to determine the size of one's hands??

how do you determine if one's hands are large/medium/small sized?
How do you measure it?
I mean if the grip is massive size then it would not be suitable for the medium/small size hands.
Thanks
Old September 23, 2012, 08:59 AM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

I must say I've never given that much thought. It's something "you just know", I thought.
Like, my hands are larger than most people. I know because I wear XL gloves and most people wear medium or large. I also know because I shake hands with people and most people's hands are not larger than mine.
It never occurred to me that there might be an actual measuring system.
However, switching tabs and asking Google, I see several references to how to measure for glove size. I guess I'd start there if I were you.
Old September 23, 2012, 09:04 AM   #3
Amsdorf

What Brian said.

When I try on gloves, most of the time, gloves marked XL are too small. XXL seems to do the trick though.

And, hence, I prefer handguns with large, beefy grips, like the Glock 20, 21, HK MK23, etc.
Old September 23, 2012, 09:11 AM   #4
MLeake

I go by known glove sizes most of the time.

When ordering grips from Herrett's, and gloves from Bates Leather, part of the process was having a friend trace my hand, fingers stretched, on a sheet of paper and sending that in.

Bates also requested a linear measurement from center of wrist bones to tip of middle finger.
Old September 23, 2012, 09:56 AM   #5
Aguila Blanca

I go to a store like Lowe's or BJ's (a discount club like Sam's Club) and try on their samples. They are generally marked for size.
Old September 23, 2012, 01:34 PM   #6
Buzzcook

http://www.glovesonhand.co.uk/wa/1/43/1286-Sizes.html
Old September 24, 2012, 03:10 AM   #7
giaquir

Is the OP taking bout grips
or gloves?
If it's grips just go to your LGS,
find the handgun you like and see if it
is comfortable in your hands and you
can reach all the controls. bingo.

Gloves? well email O. J. ,he is an expert on gloves.
Old September 25, 2012, 05:56 AM   #8
Metal god

My guess is if you don't no your hand size . There probably med to large ( average size ). I just say that cus if you had small hands something in life would have came up that would let you know there small and vice versa if you have large hands . You know like if your hand fits in a jar of pickles or through a roll of tape or ???? you know the more I think about it . How do you not know if you have small or large hands
As of this date 8-18-14 at 6:42am I became a proud grandfather I guess I'm officially old

Last edited by Metal god; September 25, 2012 at 06:01 AM.
Old September 25, 2012, 06:55 AM   #9
mete

Gloves used to have a number for the size .Mine is size 9 what now is large. But it's difficult because gloves come from many places and sizes can be weird !! I once returned a pair of gloves to LLBean because of that -the insulated gloves were made in Indonesia !!
Peoples' hands can vary greatly too . I helped a shooter design grips for his revolver .His hand was as big as mine but his fingers were a full 1/2" longer than mine !
Old September 25, 2012, 01:11 PM   #10
hulley

I wouldnt consider myself to having large hands but I wear a size large glove, I'm only 5'8" so I'm not a big guy. However I like the large grip on my FiveseveN pistol while my CW9 is so thin that its not that comfortable to shoot for long periods. My Sig P225 fits me like the proverbial glove, I can shoot that gun all day.
Old September 27, 2012, 04:03 PM   #11
Archie

Yes, hands come in 'sizes'.

For years, glove makers used a sizing system. It is still around, but people don't pay much attention to it anymore. A more serious problem is neither handgun manufacturers nor handgun grip makers seem to pay any attention to the problem of hand size.

Of course, if no one pays attention to their own hand size, why should grip makers bother?

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old September 27, 2012, 04:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLeake:
When ordering grips from Herrett's.....part of the process was having a friend trace my hand, fingers stretched, on a sheet of paper and sending that in.
I did that for the Herretts grips I bought back in the day for my one and only revolver (at that time)- they fit like a glove.

I had to do that.

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION
Old September 28, 2012, 06:08 PM   #13
Mello2u

Quote:
chrisintexas

how to determine the size of one's hands??
how do you determine if one's hands are large/medium/small sized?
How do you measure it?
I mean if the grip is massive size then it would not be suitable for the medium/small size hands.
All of the information about measuring for glove size I was able to find, uses the measurement around the palm of the hand. For manipulation of the controls of a handgun the length of the palm and of the finger is much more important.

It seems to me that the measurement of the red line in the pic is more relevant than the measurement around your palm.

My hand measures 5" on that red line. I am able to manipulate a standard 1911 quite easily.
" Frederic Bastiat