The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 24, 2012, 12:37 PM   #1
pghrich

Cabelas is #1 in customer service

Hello, i bought a pietta 1851 civilian several weeks ago from cabelas, i finally got it to shooting great but now the pins on the frame that accept the barrel fell out and the wedge is very loose, i have put a few hundred rounds of 25 to 30 grains of pyro thru it so far, anyways i called cabelas to ask them to send me the parts i need to fix the gun and Diane [from cabelas] suggested to send me a whole new gun, so the new gun is on its way after it comes i will send back the old defective one, now thats customer service, pghrich
Old September 24, 2012, 12:46 PM   #2
Wild Bill Bucks

pg,
Cabelas isn't a gun shop, so it is easier for them to just send you another one than it is to fix one.
Not to take anything away from their customer service though, as I also have had good experience with them.
I bought a pair of camo coveralls from them several years ago, and like everyone, I managed to order the wrong size. This was on a Monday before Turkey season started when I called them, so I knew there was no way I was going to get my re-placements in before season. To my surprise, my new coveralls came to me on Wednesday, before I even had a chance to send my others back to them.
There stuff is very high quality, and comes with a price, but sometimes the service and quality just doesn't have a price tag.
Old September 24, 2012, 12:47 PM   #3
brazosdave

I like Cabelas. I got a better deal on the 51 confederate navy at the store down in Buda than I could have got on their website. I picked it up for $115 new.
Old September 24, 2012, 12:59 PM   #4
mykeal

From the Cabela's web site page detailing their returns policy:
Quote:
Firearms, black powder guns, ammunition, gunpowders, and primers may not be returned due to safety considerations.
I don't call that "good customer service".
Old September 24, 2012, 02:12 PM   #5
pghrich

Well what ever their policy states and what they did for me are two different things, [i did use my cabelas visa that may be why?] this is not the first time i have heard of cabelas accepting muzzleloader cap and ball returns, heck they even offered me a full refund, i do call that good customer service, pghrich
Old September 24, 2012, 03:11 PM   #6
mykeal

A couple of months ago a member of The High Road forum reported Cabela's refusing to take back a defective new Pietta revolver he received. They cited that policy. That engendered a long thread in which people reported what can only be described as a confused policy, in which some folks got returns accepted and others didn't. Even phone calls to Cabela's failed to resolve the question as different people got different answers from Customer Service on the same day. Glad you got good service. Others weren't so lucky.

edit: I would provide a link to that thread but THR is currently off line due to a 'database error', whatever that is.
Old September 24, 2012, 05:14 PM   #7
pghrich

Yes i remember that discussion, i guess i got lucky, i had a similar situation with a uberti cattleman and uberti also sent me a new gun, so sometimes it all depends on who you happen to get connected with, ya whats up with thr, i also couldn't get on today, rich
Old September 24, 2012, 06:06 PM   #8
Mr.Guido

Quote:
Quote:
Firearms, black powder guns, ammunition, gunpowders, and primers may not be returned due to safety considerations.

I don't call that "good customer service".
I suspect some of us define the term "returned" differently as it applies here. For example, given that most States have laws in place to protect consumers, I would tend to believe that in this case "returned" means to "un-purchase" the item as opposed to physically sending it back for repair or replacement due to a defect in material or manufacture.
Old September 24, 2012, 06:17 PM   #9
mykeal

In the case discussed on THR, the gentleman purchased a new Pietta cap and ball revolver that arrived in an unsafe, unusable condition, according to his description. Cabela's refused to accept the return of the gun either for repair, replacement or refund. Just plain, "No returns, period. Read the policy."

Now I wasn't personally present to hear the discussion with Customer Service, so I'm taking his word - I have no reason not to. However, as I said above, there were others posting on the thread who had similar, and others who reported different, experiences.

But "good customer service" does not include posting a "No returns" policy that on the face of it applies to any transaction without exceptions. And then actually allowing exceptions on a case by case basis, depending, I guess, on how the customer service rep or manager is having a nice day.
Old September 24, 2012, 07:31 PM   #10
Mr.Guido

Quote:
But "good customer service" does not include posting a "No returns" policy that on the face of it applies to any transaction without exceptions. And then actually allowing exceptions on a case by case basis, depending, I guess, on how the customer service rep or manager is having a nice day.
I agree 100% with this statement.

I don't recall the particular thread that you cited, however I do recall a similar thread in which the poster ordered a kit rifle that had a poor barrel/stock fit and after having checked the return policy online, proceeded to call Cabela's C.S. to verify the policy. It struck me at the time as though he may have have failed to indicate that the gun was not serviceable and instead focused on his dissatisfaction with his purchase. I also seem to recall feeling that he had decided to fix it himself, even before he made the call and was not therefor inclined to pursue the matter further.

The return policy in question could certainly be made more clear, but inevitably the responsibility of knowing the purchasers rights and responsibilities resides with the purchaser. If every purchaser understood the concept of "implied warranty" and the protections that it afforded, the policy would be clear to all purchasers.

My definition of "good customer service" would be that which lives up to the terms of the agreement entered into by both the seller and the purchaser.
In this case: If you buy it, you own it. If it is broken we will fix it, replace it, or refund your money as required by law, however, if you simply tell us you're unhappy, you are probably SOL unless we are having a good day.

PS: I would also be very reluctant to accept that any trained CS rep at a place such as Cabela's would have been instructed to refuse the return of any defective product.

Last edited by Mr.Guido; September 24, 2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old September 24, 2012, 07:37 PM   #11
dickydalton

All I know is i bought an 1851 Pietta and it arrived with a wedge that was all the way in brand new. I called them and the replaced it no questions asked. They have been great for me.
Old September 25, 2012, 04:44 AM   #12
Doc Hoy

I have had no trouble with Cabela's service...

...I bought a pistol from them and could not hit the broad side of a barn with it.

I called them up and whined about it.

They told me I was blind.

That was correct.

Great service!

Feel free to delete this post, Gary.
Old September 25, 2012, 05:43 AM   #13
Sure Shot Mc Gee

dickydalton: Which store did you call the Rogers or the Owatonna one?
Old September 25, 2012, 05:45 AM   #14
Amsdorf

Cabelas is a VERY dangerous place.

Each time I walk in to my local Cabelas, I come out poorer.

Old September 25, 2012, 09:25 AM   #15
Wild Bill Bucks

I would be leery of buying a firearm from anywhere I couldn't put my hands on it first. I'm one of those touchy, feely, kind of guys.
My local gun shop has got me spoiled because, if he orders me a firearm, when I go to pick it up, he chambers an empty round in it, several times, to make sure the firing pin is working properly, and that it ejects like it is supposed to, and that all the parts are like they are supposed to be, before handing it to me for my inspection. Heck, he even puts the scope on, and bore sights it for me, without any charge. Buy the time I pay him for it, I won't have spent much more than I would if I had ordered it, and payed the shipping charges, and I know what I'm getting right from the git-go.