The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 22, 2012, 08:25 PM   #1
hollowpointt

357 sig prices

Anybody know how much 357 sig ammo is at Walmart I have a G31 opportunity tomorrow morning
Old September 22, 2012, 08:50 PM   #2
jproaster

Sorry I can't answer your immediate question. But if decide to make any judgement on this caliber based on reloading, know what you are getting in to. While some do reload the round ( I do), it is far more difficult than straight wall calibers.

I know you didn't ask for this, but the info may prove useful.
Old September 22, 2012, 09:21 PM   #3
Hogtown

been in about 4 or 5 different Wal-Marts here in centeral Texas and none handle 357 sigs, they claim too costly
Old September 22, 2012, 09:35 PM   #4
BigPoppa

I was pricing some in Wally World tonite and it is right at $30/box of 50(WWB)fmj. I just purchased some premium Federal 125 grain HST JHP for $28 per box of 50. This stuff is extremely hard to find so when you find it online you have to get it right then and there.
Old September 22, 2012, 09:47 PM   #5
medic15al

Yep, about $28 per 50 at WM.

Good price here http://georgia-arms.com/cannedheat35...cket500pk.aspx
Old September 22, 2012, 10:01 PM   #6
hollowpointt

357 sig

Ouch that's pricey but I guess I could get a forty barrel which would be a little cheaper, and shoot 357 less.
Old September 22, 2012, 10:03 PM   #7
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

Georgia Arms is great. $155/500

That's tough to beat.

(Unless you reload, and if you're going to shoot very much you really should be)
-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.
Old September 23, 2012, 09:51 AM   #8
greyeyezz

Quote:
I was pricing some in Wally World tonite and it is right at $30/box of 50(WWB)fmj.
Way too much for FMJ. Buy online.

http://www.sgammo.com/product/federa...25-gr-fmj-ammo
Old September 23, 2012, 10:01 AM   #9
sigarms228

Quote:
Way too much for FMJ. Buy online.
http://www.sgammo.com/product/federa...25-gr-fmj-ammo

That is almost as cheap as .45 practice ammo these days.
Old September 23, 2012, 02:40 PM   #10
AK103K

I had a 31 for awhile. I also had a number of SIG's in the caliber as well. Your best bet cost wise for 357SIG , is buying online by the case.

I did have a Lone wolf 40-9 9mm conversion barrel for my 31, which made practice cheaper. It also eventually shifted me away from 357SIG altogether.

One thing to consider, my 31 was beating itself to death shooting 357SIG ammo. The underside of the slide was being heavily battered (peened) by the locking block, and showed no signs of slowing down, right up til I got rid of it. Ive heard this is a fairly common thing with the .40's as well, but I havent seen it in the few I looked at. If the gun youre considering is used, I would pull the slide and give it a look.

Quote:
But if decide to make any judgement on this caliber based on reloading, know what you are getting in to. While some do reload the round ( I do), it is far more difficult than straight wall calibers.
Ive loaded a good bit of 357SIG, and its really no harder to load for than anything else. If you use a .40 sizing die for the first step, its one extra step. Use a load using AA #9, which is a compressed load, and you will have none of the setback issues you often hear about.

When I first got into 357SIG, there really wasnt much incentive to reload for it, as factory ammo bought in bulk was only a buck more a box. As the prices went up during the last shortage, the gap opened a good bit, and reloading became more cost effective. Even then, its not really cheap to load for, and a 9mm barrel is probably the better choice, especially if you reload.

Zeitgeist - The Movie
Old September 23, 2012, 04:17 PM   #11
SRH78

It is not expensive to load for. I am shooting jhp's and my cost per 50 rounds, not counting brass, is less than $6.50.

1000 pieces of brass was about $40 and since it can, of course, be used several times, my cost is still easily less than $7 a box and again, that is loading jacketed hollowpoints.