The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 19, 2012, 10:37 PM   #1
wyohusker

CZ p-01 Vs. Beretta Px4 storm 9mm

I am considering both of these guns. My LGS has both and I went in to get the CZ but then saw the Beretta. It feels a little thinner than the CZ. Also the CZ has a aluminum alloy frame which I have never owened. The gun will be carried occationally, home defense, and range time.

Which one is going to be better quality?

Do I need to fear the alloy frame?

Thanks in advance!!
Old September 19, 2012, 10:47 PM   #2
MLeake

I have both.

I prefer the P01, but the PX4 is a nice gun, too.

PX4s have fewer aftermarket options. There are threads about people breaking sight pushers trying to remove rear sights, when having night sights installed. Both the PX4s I had converted to night sights required lateral cutting of the rear sights, in order to break them loose from the dovetails.

I have never heard of a PCR or P01 frame failure.
Old September 19, 2012, 10:52 PM   #3
TunnelRat

I've had both. Personally, I would prefer the P-01. The PX4 is a perfectly decent service pistol. But there was never anything about it that made me really enjoy it. I know that sounds stupid but it was true. The P-01 made me look like a better shooter than I am.
Old September 19, 2012, 10:57 PM   #4
LockedBreech

That is a tough one. As a general rule I'll take Beretta over CZ most of the time, but the P-01 is a great pistol, very tough and well-proven.
Beretta PX4 .40 S&W | Beretta 92FS 9x19 Para | Rock Island Armory GI 1911 .45 ACP | Colt Python 4" .357 Magnum | Colt 1968 Det. Spec. .38 Spc. | Ruger LCP .380 ACP | Daniel Defense M4V1 5.56x45 | Alpine M1 Carbine .30 | Steyr M1895 8x56 | Ruger 10/22 .22LR |1943 Izhevsk Mosin-Nagant M91/30 7.62x54R | Remington 870 12GA
Old September 19, 2012, 11:08 PM   #5
wyohusker

Does the alloy frame scatch up easy? Do you have to keep the rails super clean and lubed well?
Old September 19, 2012, 11:21 PM   #6
TunnelRat

Quote:
Does the alloy frame scatch up easy?
No more than a polymer would. You might get some scratches in the finish but CZ's bake on finish is pretty durable and unless you really beat it up it should stay looking good. Nice thing is you can always refinish metal. If you take a nail file to it you'll get scratches.

Quote:
Do you have to keep the rails super clean and lubed well?
Not sure what you mean by clean, free of debris yea. Lube is definitely a good idea and will certainly help prolong the life of the firearm and make it function smooth.

Aluminum is not glass . I know you haven't had one before but they've been around a while. They work.
Old September 19, 2012, 11:26 PM   #7
wyohusker

Thanks Tunnel Rat... That makes me feel better. I just think of soda pop cans and how easy even the top will bend. True I can alway refinish. Just want to make sure on the 2000 round it does not crack or break. CZ has a 5 year warranty if I remember right.
Old September 19, 2012, 11:29 PM   #8
chris in va

I found the PX4 to have inferior ergonomics to the P01. No grip options on most polymer guns either.

The P01 has a forged frame and has been through some pretty serious tests. It takes a while for the trigger to smooh out though.
Old September 19, 2012, 11:50 PM   #9
MLeake

The P01 has a forged frame? You may be thinking of the SP01. The P01 has an aluminum alloy frame, just like the PCR does. (The SP is all steel, but I don't know off hand if it is forged. I have an SP01, too, and it is significantly heavier than the P01.)

OP, instead of thinking of soda cans or foil, think of baseball bats, boats, and airplanes.

Edit: as pointed out in the next two posts, Chris in VA is right, the P01 frame is actually forged aluminum.

Last edited by MLeake; September 20, 2012 at 12:17 AM.
Old September 20, 2012, 12:02 AM   #10
myshoulderissore

Yep, the P01 has a forged frame, forged aluminum, but still forged.
Old September 20, 2012, 12:10 AM   #11
MLeake

I had never heard "forged" and "aluminum" used together. Live and learn. Did a look-up, and you are correct. The P01 frame is forged aluminum, which is a theoretical upgrade from the PCR frame, which is cast aluminum.

A few sources, including the CZ Custom Shop, call it a forged aircraft grade aluminum frame.

In any case, I doubt most people will shoot a P01 frame apart. I think its design specs include 15000 rounds +P or 30000 rounds standard 9mm as minimum tolerance.
Old September 21, 2012, 01:39 AM   #12
SteelChickenShooter

Anyone on this website knows I am a strong advocate of the CZ P-01. I did a lot of homework before buying one and I swear by it. Any time anyone is perplexed by indecision- buy the CZ. Get the other one later if you want- but buy the CZ first.
Old September 21, 2012, 09:45 PM   #13
FairWarning

I personally don't like the feel of the Storm very much and I didn't shoot it particularly well either in my range experience. The P-01, on the other hand, is one of the world's great combat 9s. I felt at home right away with it and it fared well against my universal standard piece (Browning Hi Power). CZ hands down over the Storm for me.
Old September 22, 2012, 01:13 PM   #14
wyohusker

Well..... I went to LGS put the Storm and CZ P-01 and did a lot of comparing. The Ergo's of the P-01 are amazing and felt like and extention of my hand so it won me over and I brought it home. I AM sure glad that I picked the CZ... It feels amazing and is a natural pointer for me.. Thanks for the advice on the new gun!!

Not my gun but once I get a hold of CZ Custom Shop that what it will be looking like soon.....

OK can't get the photo to post!!! Arrrr
Old September 22, 2012, 04:01 PM   #15
marine6680

As far as the aluminum frame and lubrication... just use a quality gun grease.

The frame will last a long time, but steel on aluminum can wear faster than steel to steel or aluminum to aluminum. Its not a problem when lubed properly though.

Oil works fine, but extended range sessions, or if it sits unused for a while and you shoot it without re-lubing, the oil can drain away. Grease stays put better than oils, and avoids those issues.

I love my CZs... they really temper my desire for more pistols... a little.