The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 9, 2001, 12:56 PM   #1
Andrewh

I posted in the shotgun forum, but got no response, so I thought I would try here too. I did some searching, and only found references to the fact that it was availible not that anyone actually owned one.
So does anyone have a bounty hunter II, with the exposed hammers or internal? If so, how is it? My local gun store only got in one and sent it back because the guy thought both barrels got the 45-70 insert. He can get them without the inserts for around 230. Judging by what I have read it is a good deal money wise, but is it a good coach gun?
Old March 9, 2001, 01:31 PM   #2
dreadnaught

Are you talking about the Baikal shotgun? I have one w/o exposed hammers. I had to have $80 worth of gunsmithing done to it before it was really serviceable for cowboy action shooting. Works pretty good now.
Old March 9, 2001, 02:20 PM   #3
Andrewh

I am not sure. It is the one that EAA puts out.
http://www.eaacorp.com/firearms/shot...h43/index.html
Old March 12, 2001, 12:23 PM   #4
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

Howdy,

The EAA Bounty Hunter shotguns are Russian made. The "External hammer" version has hammers that you cock, but they don't actually hit the firing pin when you fire the gun. What cocking the hammers does do is just cock the internal hammers. If you want a Mule-ear shotgun, I would look elsewhere. Like most inexpensive coachguns, they need some work to smooth them out and make them easier to open. I prefer Stoegers, but have seen many servicable Bounty Hunters.

Bellicose Bill
Old March 12, 2001, 12:29 PM   #5
Andrewh

Thanks. And I guess that is my next question. Internal or external, and why. But I will post that as a new topic.
Old March 13, 2001, 01:08 PM   #6
Andrewh

Bill Mitchell- I forgot to ask. I have read on here before, that the external hammers don't actually hit the firing pins, but can you decock the shotgun using the external hammers? OR once it is cocked, that is it?
Old March 20, 2001, 11:31 PM   #7
Joe West

I have the SASS model Bounty Hunter with exposed cocking levers shaped to look like hammers. I've done action work on it to make it easier to use and will be giving it as a prize at Mule Camp (it also has screw in chokes). I repair many CAS guns and am comfotable working on the Bakail/ Bounty Hunter/ EAA. The hammers(internal rebounding) are connected to the external "hammers" and make it quite easy to lower the hammer after cocking.
Joe West
Old March 21, 2001, 08:31 AM   #8
Andrewh

Thanks Joe. I decided to go with the internals though. Realized I may not be coordinated enough to reload and cock two hammers at the same time. Now I find I have to reload and click off the saftey.