The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 16, 2012, 08:06 PM   #26
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
has anyone had any experience on what the 60 grain 22lr does to game. i know its pretty quite
At longer distances, doesn't it usually require a different twist barrel?
Old September 16, 2012, 10:06 PM   #27
603Country

A supressor (am I spelling that correctly)....I never considered that. Hmm. What's required to get one, and how much do they cost. And I guess I'd have to get the barrel modified to be able to attach a supressor. Somebody educate me. I vaguely remember somebody saying that they are legal in Texas. And how much of a sound reduction do you really get?
Old September 16, 2012, 10:26 PM   #28
big al hunter

The effectiveness of a suppressor is dependent on the cartridge used. It is most effective on subsonic cartridges. If you can get a suppressor that would be the way to go for longer range. If all of the shots are close look at the Beeman R1 in 22 or 25 cal. One of the guys at work has one in 22, shoots through both sides of a 55 gal steel drum. And he says it is more accurate than he is. He's pretty good. Lots of pellets to choose from. Oh yeah its a pellet gun.
Old September 16, 2012, 11:22 PM   #29
Major Dave (retired)

Question for 603...

Is your .223 rifle an AR? With a flash suppressor?

If so, I truly feel your pain. I went to my nearby range, to target practice, and the shooter who set up next to me had an AR, with flash suppressor. The range has a tin roof covering the firing line, and by the time that guy shot 3 or 4 rounds, half the other shooters packed up and left. Because I was using double hearing protection (muffs over ear plugs), I was able to tolerate the noise level - barely. I wasn't having much fun, but that's just the way it goes, sometimes.

So I put away my mild mannered 7X57, and cranked up my 270 WSM
He packed up and left.
Old September 17, 2012, 12:42 PM   #30
603Country

Major Dave, my rifle is a 223 bolt gun. I suppose it's the least noisy rifle I have, but still is loud. I was doing Ok till the carport incident during my severe attack of stupid.

As for the guy next to you at the range, I went to the range one morning in Houston (where I used to live) and set up on the 200 yard line. The guy next to me was setting up to shoot, but I wasn't paying much attention till he cranked off a round. It was a 460 Weatherby with muzzle break. I think when he did that, all the stuff on my bench was blown 6 inches to the left. I went and had coffee, knowing that he wouldn't be shooting that thing all morning. I'm sure that rifle was brutal to him and to me, all at the same time.

As for the suppressor, my cousin has one on a rifle. I'll just ask him what reduction in noise level he's seeing. He won't be shooting subsonic ammo, so will have info that would apply to my situation.
Old September 18, 2012, 05:10 PM   #31
huntinaz

I vote a 22 Hornet. It's louder than a 22 mag but it's definitely easier on the ears than any other centerfire rifles I've shot including a 223. And It will have the required punch for a coyote out to 150 yards, more so than a 17HMR or 22 mag.
Old September 18, 2012, 06:54 PM   #32
603Country

Funny, but when I bought the 223, I was actually looking for a 22 Hornet. I got lured over to the 223 by the many bullet weights it would shoot. I'll probably just stick with what I've got (with the brand new super quiet hearing muffs) or use the 22 LR, which has gotten a bit of use since the carport incident. I think my hearing is Ok, but my wife has gotten quieter. Hmmmm.
Old September 18, 2012, 10:32 PM   #33
Deja vu

My brother has a suppressed Ruger bolt action 44magnum. When loaded with 44 specials that thing is crazy quiet. It was the reason I got my 45/70 suppressed. I know it seems daunting and the wait time is a pain but shooting with a suppressor makes shooting a completely different game.

While most guns will never be movie quiet a suppressor will make a world of difference.

obvously know your state laws to make sure its ok where you live.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old September 18, 2012, 11:44 PM   #34
DaleA

I have almost zero experience with suppressors. If you want to go that route get the legal niceties cleared up, pay your fees and then go get a 'quality' suppressor.

HOWEVER

there is a goofy alternative that I found on youtube using oil filters for suppressors and an even goofier one where you use a 2 liter plastic pop bottle. Legal requirements afaik would be the same as for a real suppressor.

I have shot a lot of subsonic .22 ('standard' velocity target .22 ammo) and it is not at all quiet as far as I'm concerned.

Here's the oil can link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...iqFcIXTqs&NR=1