The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 17, 2012, 03:58 PM   #1
kealil

ATI 1911

Hey all,

Just thought I'd share my experience with my new to me ATI 1911. I bought it used at a local pawn shop for $300. I bought it for that price because it was a in near unfired condition and everything seemed in good shape. I broke it down and discovered that fit and finish seemed as impressive as it did in the store.

I oiled it and brought it to the range and threw 300 rounds through it, 100 Tula steel case, 100 Winchester Brass case, and 100 of my own reloads. Accuracy was decent, got 2" groups at 20 yards. and 100% reliability. Overall, not bad for a $300 1911.

My next test was one of my own creation. It's called the Florida Car Torture test. It works like this: I take a recently fired firearm, do a dry wipe down of the outside and some of the internals do get a major majority of the junk out, and then leave the gun in a locked (not sealed) case for at least 24hours in the cab of my car. After 24 hours I bring out the gun and inspect it and then do a deep clean.

I do this test because there are few environments harder on a guns finish then the humidity and heat of a car in Florida. and since there is a good chance of my guns getting exposed to this environment constantly either on my person or in my car, I feel that it will give me an idea of how well a guns finish will survive my ownership. Every one of my guns currently have survived this test with zero or next to zero negative effects....until now.

The ATI 1911 failed this test pretty hard. Before putting it through the test, the finish was dark and pretty even save for the scratches that it came with. There wasn't any overt signs of bad finish. After I pulled it from the car the next day, there was a thin film of what looked to be rust or some other form of oxidation on the entirety of the gun, focusing on the parts of the gun that my hands had touched(this was actually a little bit expected).

This was surprising because none of my guns ranging from my $100 hipoint to my $600 XDM9 EVER failed the torture test after one day. I did have one start to fail on the 10th day but this was a change.

I have decided that for a range gun or "beater gun" the ATI 1911 would probably be decent for most people. I don't think I'd take it hiking or in any sort of "rough" environment let alone carry it for any real stretch. For me however, I am going to sell it; probably at a loss because I have better choices out there for around the same price. (I'm eyeing a Sig 45 for 450 )

So thanks for reading my overly long post that really doesn't matter on the big picture. I hope that this may help someone in the future when considering an ATI or at least give them something to think about.

What have your experiences been with ATI?
Old September 17, 2012, 05:40 PM   #2
KyJim

Well, the Hi-Point and the XD are both polymer pistols. The ATI 1911 is either a matte blue or parkerized, it appears to me. That would explain the difference right there. Hard to make plastic rust.
Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.
Old September 17, 2012, 06:01 PM   #3
9mm

Yeah, I love to see me some good plastic rusting. Because ATI/RIA uses a lower grade of parkerize.
Old September 17, 2012, 11:49 PM   #4
kealil

Quote:
Well, the Hi-Point and the XD are both polymer pistols. The ATI 1911 is either a matte blue or parkerized, it appears to me. That would explain the difference right there. Hard to make plastic rust.
Quote:
Yeah, I love to see me some good plastic rusting. Because ATI/RIA uses a lower grade of parkerize.
HaHaHa, that is true and yes seeing some plastic rust would be interesting. I was of course talking about the actual metal parts of the gun. In the ATI's defense, I am comparing it to some much higher quality guns(IMHO): S&W 4506/5906, S&W 422, Ruger Security Six, Springfield 1911 and XDM9. While this may be the case, it does not change my mind about selling it.

I figured I'd give a low end 1911 a shot and see what it had to offer. It offered a lot of fun at the range but it didn't offer what I wanted/needed.
Old September 17, 2012, 11:51 PM   #5
9mm

I have nothing against ATI/RIA companies.

They do however uses a lower grade of parkerize because it cuts down on their cost to make the pistol cheaper. So the finish isn't going to be that of a COLT, duh
Old September 18, 2012, 12:53 PM   #6
GunsmithSteve

gun finish

All the guns you have mentioned can be refinished. You can Parkerize, DuraCoat, or SeraCoat at your home. There are many finishies that can be done with a little prep work at your house.