The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 16, 2012, 02:01 AM   #1
FlySubCompact

9mm case stampings on used range brass

I was tumbling some range brass. While inspecting the primer pockets for bits of corn cob media I noticed about one fifth of the brass had "RWS" case markings. I took note of these because they looked really nice after tumbling. Especially the pockets. (looked like they'd came off a CNC mill, instead of stamped in a forging process) Plus, overall, they look in better shape than the rest of the mix.

Most of the used brass is Winchester. This looks a lot shabbier than the RWS stuff. Walls looked stained, more bulgy, thinner.

There were a few other brands in the mix, but the RWS stuff just stood out. Almost like it had not been fired before.

What I'd like to know is are there specifically better range pickup brass cases that you covet for reloading more than others? Also, what type headstamps do you look for?
Old September 16, 2012, 06:57 AM   #2
Shootest

I scrap all A-Merc brass, everything else gets equal treatment.
Old September 16, 2012, 08:07 AM   #3
Misssissippi Dave

Yes RWS brass is good. You might want to take a magnet to them. Some if I remember correctly 9 mm were only brass plated steel. RWS 45 brass is very good. S&B brass does have tight primer pockets. The ones with the red sealant on the primer I can load with Winchester primers. After a few reloads they work just like once fired Winchester. Winchester brass is also good. I can reload it many times before it starts to fail. I'll load Remington brass, but, it doesn't seem to hold up as well as Winchester does. Federal and Blazer brass seem to reload about an equal number of times and longer then Remington. I also don't care too much for WCC brass but it too get loaded again by me. Steel, Aluminum and A-Merc all go to the trash.
Old September 17, 2012, 02:20 AM   #4
FlySubCompact

I haven't run into any Amerc brass. Some steel ones, but those are in the garbage. Shot some reloaded Winchesters today. Some of these have been reloaded once aready. I did see a few of the red-tinged brass. Most of those look like they can't take much reuse.
Old September 17, 2012, 08:27 AM   #5
cornbush

I also "round file" any A-merc brass no matter what the caliber, too many problems so it gets scrapped now.
Old September 17, 2012, 10:52 AM   #6
oldreloader

Federal primer pockets seem to get loose sooner than others but not too bad. As soon as I notice one being a little loose I mark it with a Sharpie then crush it when I fire it. That keeps me or some other brass hound from using it again. I have some Winchester brass that has been loaded 8 times that still works fine. I haven't run across any A-Merc yet.All the others work too I just keep a close watch on them. I don't do steel or aluminum at all.
Old September 17, 2012, 11:26 AM   #7
moxie

RWS is high quality ammo made in Germany under the RUAG group in Switzerland.

USAF Munitions 1969-1992
RVN 1972-1973
Old September 17, 2012, 02:41 PM   #8
BigJimP

I toss out A-Merc and S&B cases.../ A-Merc doesn't resize properly ...and the tapered primer pockets on the S&B just aggravate me.

Other than that ....I don't fuss about any of the headstamps...its all swept up free.../ all gets run thru the press !
Old September 17, 2012, 03:24 PM   #9
Gerry

BigJimP, send those S&B to me then!

I'd rather have to put a bit more force in that last leg of the "up stroke" than accidentally load a "trickler" during an IPSC match. Plus I find the pockets do loosen up after only about 50 reloads or so...
Old September 18, 2012, 08:04 AM   #10
WESHOOT2

In 9x19 my favorite case is headstamped "Speer".
Old September 18, 2012, 08:41 AM   #11
DJK Frank 16

I have a good amount of 9MM Luger that I have been cleaning, inspecting, and sorting. I have been tossing WCC and S&B off to the side. May have to give them a try next time I run a batch through.