The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 16, 2012, 12:29 PM   #1
Reef

338 Win Mag Reloads

I have a Ruger M77 338 Win Mag that I want to reload. I've read for best accuracy to seat the bullet "x" distance from the lands vs. COL. How does one determine that distance? Is there a standard starting point from which adjustments are then made and compared to group size?
Old September 16, 2012, 01:24 PM   #2
iraiam

This is how I do it.

First I paint a bullet with a sharpie marker.

I make a primer less, powder less round, I insert the painted bullet in a case without crimping so the bullet can be adjusted in the neck without a ton of effort, I make sure the bullet is sticking out of the case far enough.

I then load the "round" into the action and close it, takes a little more effort but it works for me, take it out and measure the COL, if the bullet sticks in the lands a little or comes out of the case, push it back out with a cleaning rod and use the score marks on the marker paint to determine the depth.

I then go back so the bullet is .005" off the lands and call this my starting point, load my recipe and shoot in multiple groups of 3, move the bullet back in increments of about .020" looking for changes in accuracy.

I never make any rounds with the bullet all the way up against the lands.

Once I see a change in accuracy I will continue to move the bullet depth in .020" increments and look for another change of accuracy, this will give me an idea of how wide the sweet spot is, it has been my experience that 1 or maybe 2 more moves will tell me.

Once I determine that I can go back to the middle of the sweet spot and start adjusting bullet depth by .005", or .002"

I don't know how standard my methods are but it has worked pretty well for me.
Old September 16, 2012, 04:09 PM   #3
math teacher

A little easier way. Take a pair of pliers and lightly squeeze the neck of a fired case until you can just barely slip the bullet you wish to use in with your fingers. Leave it out extra long and close the bolt on the cartridge. Extract it and it will be at maximum length, then follow the instructions above.
Old September 17, 2012, 01:55 PM   #4
Reef

Many thanks.

Quote:
I then go back so the bullet is .005" off the lands and call this my starting point
Is .005" a "Standard" starting point or just what you've seen the best results from?
Old September 17, 2012, 05:10 PM   #5
capodastro

Or you could try the Hornady lock n load overall length gauge, which you use with a set of calipers. they really work great.
Old September 17, 2012, 05:15 PM   #6
Reef

Quote:
Or you could try the Hornady lock n load overall length gauge
That is what I have. I guess my real question is what distance from the lands do most people start with.