The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 10, 2012, 12:54 PM   #26
math teacher

Like Hooligan1, I find my 7mm RM loves IMR7828 behind a 160gr Accubond, but I use that on everything up through moose. For deer alone I would use the 140gr Accubond. In three of my friends rifles, Reloader 22 works as well or better.
Old September 10, 2012, 12:56 PM   #27
Wyoredman

Quote:
139 GR. HDY GMX IMR IMR 4350 .284" 3.290" 59.6 2902 49,300 PSI 63.4 3099 58,500 PSI
http://www.imrpowder.com/

The IMR website lists a starting load for 139 gr Hornady GMX bullets at 59.6gr of 4350 and a max of 63.4gr.
Old September 10, 2012, 12:57 PM   #28
jwrowland77

It perplexes me that there is such a difference between the manuals though.

Edit: I'll have to take a picture of my manual tonight when I get home. This just blows my mind.
Old September 10, 2012, 01:00 PM   #29
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

The differences you'll find using one manual over a number are just... differences. There's no reason why any one of them is more accurate or applies to your gun better than another, except by random chance.
Some use universal receivers, some real guns, some use copper crushers, some piezo-electric pressure equipment, some are a random mix of all of the above.
More importantly, NONE of them are your gun.
The generally accepted best practice is to start at the lowest official starting load you find and work toward the highest official maximum you find. It's just a guideline though. Many people only have/use one source or prefer a certain one.
Old September 10, 2012, 01:02 PM   #30
jwrowland77

I'll have to do another work up and start where I left off at using a max from a different manual.
Old September 10, 2012, 01:08 PM   #31
Wyoredman

I found that my Hornady manual is one of the most conservative manuals on my shelf.

A chronograph really helps sort out all the conflicting info, though. I suspect that your 56.5 grain loads are comming in under 3000fps.

When loading for a hunting rifle, I try and get the most velocity and the most accuracy. So if I get good groups with two different loads, I tend to go with the one that has more velocity (power). They are better (in theory) at putting holes in game at distance.

Be sure to shoot your load at distance to verify that it is accurate at hunting ramges.
Old September 10, 2012, 01:10 PM   #32
jwrowland77

Ah ok. I did like the 59 and 59.5 too. I might have to work up to 62 or so and reassess my likes.
Old September 10, 2012, 06:26 PM   #33
hooligan1

In my partition loads, (150 grn) I'm using 61 grains of IMR 4350, With the 150 grn Ballistic Tip I'm using 61.8 grns of IMR 4831. these two different bullets and powders shoot almost identically same poi.( out of my Weatherby Vanguard) 1/2 moa.
Old September 10, 2012, 07:32 PM   #34
jwrowland77

Need some help. Came in to some Hornady 154gr Interlock RN. I got them from a buddy because I wanted to give them a try since I hunt a lot of brush and briars. As a matter of fact our hunting clubs name is Briar Patch Hunt Club.

Problem is they are in my Hornady manual but they don't list IMR4350. I was wondering if anyone has run into a load using IMR4350 for the bullet named.

Can I use the 154gr load data out of my Lyman 49th for the load data for the IMR4350? I'm thinking yes, it's just my OAL will be shorter since its a round nose. Am I on the right track?

Last edited by jwrowland77; September 10, 2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old September 11, 2012, 09:09 AM   #35
Clark

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.
The 7mmRM was SAAMI registered by Remington at 61kpsi in 1962.
Rem should have registered it at 65 kpsi at least.
If the 22-250, 6mm, and 270 are registered at 65kpsi, the 5kpsi stronger magnum case head should have been registered at 70 kpsi.
The published load for the 7mmRM are mostly way below the 61kpsi.
That is why I shot an antelope and a deer deer last year with a 7mmRM with 9 gr more powder than max published.
The way I got those loads was to work up to the threshold of long brass life/ short brass life, and then reduced the powder charge 4%.
4% is a good number for my reloading process, my individual rifle, and Hodgdon extreme powders.
I know that Vernon Speer used 6% reduction for writing load books in 1956.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old September 11, 2012, 10:07 AM   #36
Wyoredman

9 gr over max load? How in the heck do you get your bolt open? Did you shoot them over a chronograph? What are the velocities? Come on, give us some verifying info!

Brass life was your only qualifier? No pressure signs, just brass life?
Old September 11, 2012, 10:19 AM   #37
oldmanFCSA

I do not agree with what "Clark" is suggesting above.

Differences in rifles, chambers, components, etc. will allow for some hotter loads, but not recommended.

I like the Hornady Manual, with many others for cross-referencing data. Nosler, Speer, IMR, Hodgdon, VihtaVouri, Alliant, just to name a few. Some are available free online.

Stay safe, in almost all cases you do not need the increased velocity from hot loadings for hunting purposes.
Old September 14, 2012, 12:00 AM   #38
Clark

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

I converted a VZ24, made a little after 1924, from 8x57 to 7mmRemMag by opening up the bolt lips, opening up the extractor, opening up the feed lips, lengthening the magazine, rebarrelled with a Lothar Walther barrel, and cut the chamber to 7mmRM with .215" headspace.

Before I hunted with it, I experimented up to QL 107 kpsi in that rifle, but that is not good for it.

With 150 gr Ballistic tip bullets I am using 66 gr H4350 3.4".
QL thinks that is 65kpsi.

Hodgdon has listed a very long time a load for 7mmRM 150 gr 57 gr.

And now I see they have added another load for 150 gr at 62 gr.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old September 14, 2012, 09:09 AM   #39
Wyoredman

Thanks for the clarification.