The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 10, 2012, 01:14 PM   #26
Sevens

True story -- because I'd have to be stark raving looney tunes to even attempt to make this up:

Was at a large, annual outdoor swap meet over Labor Day weekend, like a big gun show, dog show and flea market. Many, many guns bought, sold & swapped. You are just as likely to see antiques, old records or someone selling homemade honey or jelly as you are to see a table full of handguns, rifles and shotguns.

One lady had a scattered few gun accessory items and mostly garage sale type items on her table. With a little tag hanging from it was a modern full-size Ruger padlock, the ones they ship with revolvers where the instructions show a picture of the cheap chinese padlock simply locked behind the trigger in the trigger guard. (as if anyone would do that...)

She had a tag with a price of $20 and a line through that price, recently reduced to $18.

I honestly don't know if she thought it was some rare-ish collectible, or she was hoping that some schmuck might think that were the case.
Old September 11, 2012, 07:08 AM   #27
Hal

Quote:
Was at a large, annual outdoor swap meet over Labor Day weekend, like a big gun show, dog show and flea market. Many, many guns bought, sold & swapped. You are just as likely to see antiques, old records or someone selling homemade honey or jelly as you are to see a table full of handguns, rifles and shotguns
The one at Washington Courthouse by chance?
I've been to that one & it's freaking huge!
Old September 11, 2012, 01:36 PM   #28
Sevens

I am actually not aware of THAT one?

The one I was at was in Johnstown. It's been going on for YEARS but I've only been going for a bit. Back in the day, my Labor Day event was the National Coon Dog Field Trials in Kenton, Ohio. It was b-i-g but it grew too crazy. The drunk campers were one thing, but when they expanded in to evening entertainment (concerts) it simply grew in to a monster and the owners just pulled the plug on it.

As I've heard it, a bunch of the regular vendors went to Lima to the Allen County Fairgrounds for a similar event, and another large bunch went to Johnstown.

Next year, I'll finally get it right. Johnstown on Saturday and Lima on Sunday! (range day on Monday!)
Old September 11, 2012, 02:22 PM   #29
Hal

It's been years since I was @ the WC show.
I was visiting some friends in Circleville for the Punkin show & we took a ride to WC to see the show. My buddy Tom wanted to pick up an 8mm Mauser.
He got a nice one cheap IIRC.