The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 9, 2012, 08:07 PM   #1
frumious

Hornady 325gr .458 FTX Bullets in Marlin .45-70 Guide Gun

Short version: These bullets are incredible, at least out of my gun.

Long version: Last week I picked up 3 boxes of these pointy Hornady bullets for my guide gun. Note that you are supposed to trim brass a little short in order for your crimp to be in the groove *and* the rounds still be able to feed through a lever gun. I skipped this part for now, crimped into the groove and just single-fed them.

I couldn't find any IMR 3031 load data so I looked at the Marlin-level loads for the 350 grain bullets in Hornady's 7th edition manual. I worked up 10 5-shot groups in 1.0 grain increments of IMR 3031 from 46.0 grains to 55.0 grains (max for the 350 was 56.1). The last few of these were VERY compressed and a little teeth-rattling but all shot pretty well off the bench at 100 yards (at least for a 45-70). Nonetheless 46.0 shot best so I loaded up 50 of that one load and shot 10 more 5-shot groups off the bench today, single-feeding again.

Here are the results. Click for a bigger version:

Measurements are edge-to-edge, so averaging and then subtracting one diameter gives a center-to-center average of 1.71 inches. At 100 yards. I am very proud of this load I am using Starline brass and CCI #200 large rifle non-magnum primers.

Next I guess I will bite the bullet so to speak and trim some brass to Hornady's spec. Then I will load up 50 more at 46.0 grains of IMR 3031 and see how they do.

-cls
Old September 9, 2012, 10:40 PM   #2
farmerboy

What are you getting ready for - Elephant hunting??? Wow that's a heck of a bullet. I love the guide guns.
Old September 10, 2012, 01:59 AM   #3
grubbylabs

I am not sure but I think you can buy brass already trimmed that short. But nice shooting. I think you will have to start over with your load development though.

I did get the 3031 to shoot well in mine as well but I am using a bullet that I cast from a custom mold. But I found the best shooting so far to be 4198.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old September 10, 2012, 10:40 AM   #4
frumious

farmerboy, no reason...I just like the 45-70. I might use it for hogs if I can get out this winter.

grubby I have plenty of brass so I will probably just trim. Also I don't expect the load to change much although I might end up having to back off a few tenths. Here's a thought: A standard practice in reloading is to work up the load as best you can at a given COAL and then play with seating depth, often seating all the way out to the lands. If that doesn't change the load much (and things are generally expected to IMPROVE), then I don't think a few thousandths shorter will make much difference either. But we'll see.

-cls
Old September 10, 2012, 11:21 AM   #5
grubbylabs

I don't know if you have the new book or not, I just moved or I would just post it for you, but they have data just for that bullet and brass combo. If you don't have it let me know and I will go un pack my books.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old September 10, 2012, 01:43 PM   #6
frumious

grubby, I don't have it. But don't get in a hurry on account of me. Just PM me when you get around to it. Thanks!

-cls
Old September 10, 2012, 01:57 PM   #7
farmerboy

Ive never shot a hog with one but that would be some nice hog medicine.
Old September 10, 2012, 02:24 PM   #8
frumious

Yeah I think if I could hit a hog (or any living creature) from a field position then the animal would totally disintegrate

-cls