The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 5, 2012, 05:26 PM   #1
jproaster

Conceal Carry Day 2

Well. It's day 2 of conceal carry for me- sig238 w/Crimson Trace in a Crossbreed Minituck. Ive worn shirt in and out with much success. People can't tell it's there. Probably need to lose 10-15 lb to wear all pants snug but not too tight.

I've spent more money than my love would like for this setup, but I'm quite pleased with the result. The sig is simply sweet for a small gun; groups far better thn I was expecting.

Anyhow it feels a little strange to carry- Walking in stores or wherever and feeling privy to a secret. To be honest though, it's begun to feel natural; and I certainly wouldn't want to feel anything but natural with such a responsibility as carrying concealed.

Well. I just wanted to share. And to ask if anyone wanted to share tips, experiences, etc to help newbies- in the car, when arriving at places that don't allow guns, and whatever.

John (who is very tired and hopes the message is clear)
Old September 5, 2012, 05:34 PM   #2
farmerboy

You're getting closer and closer to not even knowing its there. In a week or two it'll be so normal for you. And also what a great feeling if you ever need it and nobody don't know it's there but you.
Old September 5, 2012, 08:18 PM   #3
sgms

It will feel so normal you will be uncomfortable with out it.
Old September 5, 2012, 08:33 PM   #4
Creeper

If you've not shot, purposely printed or flashed anyone... congratulations, you might be a responsible, level headed adult.

C
Old September 5, 2012, 08:57 PM   #5
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
It will feel so normal you will be uncomfortable with out it.
I must echo this.
Old September 5, 2012, 10:07 PM   #6
Dashunde

You'll be used to it in no time.

After several years of carrying I'm getting tired of it.
The comforting feeling I get from carrying vs going without is only LCP sized nowadays.
Old September 6, 2012, 09:02 AM   #7
Constantine

I feel naked without my gun.

You know what I hate...actually. Cause this happens often...

People in your family, or anyone who you're close with that knows you carry.

Yea, yea, yea, "no one should know". Yes...Read the above. Kind of hard when you were at one point a LEO in uniform to be seen as "not armed" but anyways.

People close to you..when they hug you or some kind of movement happens where you're made and it's not a big deal. Cause they know you, and you're a good guy, hero, or whatever in their eyes that's positive.

But those one or two smartasses that point it out with stupid comments like

"What are you afraid of?!" - to which I reply "nothing?"

or

"You serious? You brought your gun to your grandmas house?" - to which I reply, "and the commute to my grandmas house and back? or the stops to my grandmas house and back? "

Just all kinds of stupid little comments from ones close to you..

Even if one if "not on duty".

Anyways OP..No one knows I carry...people who know me assume I do 24/7 anyways, which is true. No one I don't know..actually KNOW knows I carry. That's the way it should always be. Unless you're on duty in uniform.

10-4?

It's cute when my little 20 year old sister is there when someone points something out, family wise. She's so cute.... Feisty little brat always has her big brothers back with the family.

Sometimes I feel like 39'ing them...

Ok...I went on too long with that...lol woosah.

Sorry guys..I totally made this a journal entry.

Anyways, carry on brother (pun intended).
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium. Ímperet ílli Déus, súpplices deprecámur: tuque, prínceps milítiæ cæléstis, Sátanam aliósque spíritus malígnos, qui ad perditiónem animárum pervagántur in múndo, divína virtúte, in inférnum detrúde. Ámen
Old September 6, 2012, 09:39 AM   #8
BGutzman

Im with my brother Constantine on this one, I feel naked without my gun... I make an effort to stay away from places Im not allowed to carry... It cant always be avoided, havent found a gun yet that I want to go swimming with. Not that I couldnt but the whole Idea just doesnt work for me.
Old September 6, 2012, 09:51 AM   #9
Constantine

Quote:
Im with my brother Constantine on this one, I feel naked without my gun... I make an effort to stay away from places Im not allowed to carry... It cant always be avoided, havent found a gun yet that I want to go swimming with. Not that I couldnt but the whole Idea just doesnt work for me.

You always got my 6...lol mad love bro!

I hate that feeling...Avoiding all places you can't carry is 100% understandable. I'd hate that naked feeling especially in a crappy area.

lol you've love this...for the swimming with a gun part? You can borrow my Glock. They're expendable to me and I don't care the damage they obtain.

I wouldn't let my SIG go through that. Yesterday I had my P226 on me...saw the rainy weather and put it back in the same and strapped on the G19.

I'll have a custom Glock made for you. underwater carry edition...the grip of a SIG e2. Yes? lol
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium. Ímperet ílli Déus, súpplices deprecámur: tuque, prínceps milítiæ cæléstis, Sátanam aliósque spíritus malígnos, qui ad perditiónem animárum pervagántur in múndo, divína virtúte, in inférnum detrúde. Ámen
Old September 6, 2012, 10:00 AM   #10
jproaster

In light of realizing that without a routine that I could achieve rather easily (I don't want to think CC a hassle to achieve each day), I'm on the lookout for tips.

For instance, I laid out my work slacks with the holster mounted without the gun so that I could dress quickly and in the dark. I easily found my gun tucked in a drawer and the mag tucked in another.

Walked out to the kitchen, prepped the gun and easily holstered while grabbing keys etc as I walked out the door.

And yes, thankfully, it's feeling normal for it to just be there.

John
Old September 6, 2012, 04:14 PM   #11
Vermonter

Tips

1. Never ever ever tell anyone that you don't have to that you are armed ever.

2. Always inform an LEO who is on duty and talking with you that you are armed. I don't care what anyone says online that is just a good way for everyone to go home safely. Do so calmly and politly while the officer can see both hands.

3. Train with your carry piece or pieces very often. Do not get complacent and remember that one outfit may work differently than another. Practice drawing fully dressed as you carry with a safe gun.

4. Leave your ego (no offense as I don't know you personally) at home. No tuff guy macho stuff. No being the worlds hero. You are carrying so you can defend yourself and your loved ones not to become captin america.

5. Shoot alot

6. Shoot More

7. Be prepared to loose weight or gain a clothing size make more room for your gear.

8. Buy an el cheapo nylon holster for the side map pouch of your vehicle. When taking a quick trip into the post office or other restricted area unholster while sitting in your vehicle and put the firearm there. Then LOCK THE VEHICLE.

9. Carry a reload

10. CCW all day every day until you go to sleep this will famaliarize you with your gun and make it feel more natural.

11. Stop touching it. I know your touching it while wearing it so you may as well stop. There is nothing more telling about a ccwer then how he fondles his belt area.

12. Enjoy The Expirence
Old September 6, 2012, 04:38 PM   #12
kchaneymb65

Concealed Carry

It felt very unusual the first few days, however, after about a week carrying concealed, it's part of my everyday clothing line-up. I am ex-military and familiar with many types of firearms. Not an expert by any means! But I have found that the small of the back in a nice Uncle Mikes inside-the-waistband holster works nice. I also buy and wear loose fitting shirts just for the purpose of concealment and it works great. Again, as the others say, practice drawing with your firing hand and always be aware of your surroundings! It's a fantastic privilege to carry concealed and there are many out there that wish they could! Glock 23 Gen 4
Old September 6, 2012, 04:57 PM   #13
BGutzman

Quote:
You always got my 6...lol mad love bro!

I hate that feeling...Avoiding all places you can't carry is 100% understandable. I'd hate that naked feeling especially in a crappy area.

lol you've love this...for the swimming with a gun part? You can borrow my Glock. They're expendable to me and I don't care the damage they obtain.

I wouldn't let my SIG go through that. Yesterday I had my P226 on me...saw the rainy weather and put it back in the same and strapped on the G19.

I'll have a custom Glock made for you. underwater carry edition...the grip of a SIG e2. Yes? lol
I laughed so hard I had tears, live the idea of the Glock with the Sig e2 grip... lol Great post brother!
Old September 6, 2012, 05:24 PM   #14
Kevin_d77

This is a great thread so far. I'm in the application process right now so I find this interesting. I am thinking of going either a Shield or I recently fondled a Sig P238 and it felt nice in my hand. There were no P938's on hand but that one has some interest to me too.

I remember someone posting about doing the very first awkward public appearance, walk of shame at a late night Walmart and feeling like everyone is staring at you lol.....
Old September 6, 2012, 10:19 PM   #15
kchaneymb65

Concealed Carry

Kevin, I have a Sig P238 and it is the most accurate small semi-auto .380 that I have fired. Great for pocket carry. Of course, the P938 gives you the extra fire power and is also easy to conceal. Either way, both are worth every penny you pay.
Old September 6, 2012, 10:31 PM   #16
kchaneymb65

Concealed Carry

Also, forgot to mention, yes, your first few days of concealed carry do make you feel like everyone is looking at you. That quickly goes away!
Glock 23 Gen 4, Sig Sauer P238 SAS, Ruger SR22 Pistol
Old September 6, 2012, 11:24 PM   #17
TheRaskalKing

Today was my first day of carrying. It's a great feeling. I went to school all day, yes CCW is legal at my university- I checked, and I was shocked at how easy it was. Nobody asked, noticed, or cared. Unfortunately I had to take it off for work as I work in a public school.

What was difficult was that I have two classes with some friends- one, who is in the reserves, and the other a gun nut. We got talking about guns as we nearly always do, and SO BADLY I wanted to be like "yeah, check out my USP- just picked it up as a carry piece a few weeks ago." Not because I wanted to show off or be the macho tough guy, but just because it's fun to talk shop with those who appreciate and enjoy guns. Of course I didn't and never would do this. I have no plans to publicize my carry routine. Plus, offhand I'm gonna say that if I pulled out the HK during Advanced Writing, it would not end well for me.

Great thread.

Last edited by TheRaskalKing; September 6, 2012 at 11:31 PM.
Old September 6, 2012, 11:40 PM   #18
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
And to ask if anyone wanted to share tips, experiences, etc to help newbies- in the car, when arriving at places that don't allow guns, and whatever.
I prefer a holster that can be removed from the belt without removing the belt. If you pull up to a location that doesn't allow carry, you can, fairly easily, remove the entire holster and stow the gun. I really do my absolute level best to NEVER unholster a loaded gun in public--there's very little good that can come of it. So when I must remove the gun, I remove it holster and all.

A carry garment needs to extend about 6" below the lowest portion of the gun that is visible to insure that it always covers, even when you reach up or bend over.

Thick material conceals better than light, dark colors better than light, patterns better than solid colors.

If you pocket carry a gun or magazine, make a concerted effort to remove ALL the lint from the pocket first. Don't carry a gun or magazine in a pocket if there's anything else in the pocket.

Think of some common questions people might ask and some good answers to give them. Remember, a good answer doesn't always have to provide any information. For example, if someone asks me if I'm carrying a gun, I might respond by saying something along the lines of: "Of course not, what kind of person do you think I am?. I'm carrying FIVE guns and a couple of grenades!" And then laugh convincingly.

You might try some experiments at home to figure out how to manage bathrooms and other daily "hazards" in constructive fashion.

Discuss the topic with your family (at least the ones you want to know about your carrying) and decide what you want to do and say in various likely situations. For example, if you're with friends who don't know you carry, and discover too late that you're headed somewhere that guns are not allowed, you will want to have some way to let your spouse know that she needs to run cover for you while you ditch your carry gun in the trunk.
Old September 7, 2012, 03:23 PM   #19
jproaster

Thanks all

Thanks all for the tips- very relevant.

John
Old September 9, 2012, 08:16 AM   #20
Vermonter

Covering For Each Other

Quote:
Discuss the topic with your family (at least the ones you want to know about your carrying) and decide what you want to do and say in various likely situations. For example, if you're with friends who don't know you carry, and discover too late that you're headed somewhere that guns are not allowed, you will want to have some way to let your spouse know that she needs to run cover for you while you ditch your carry gun in the trunk.
Quoting Johnska

This very thing happened Friday night. Mrs. Vermonter and I were planning an evening at home. I got home exceedingly late from work and so did she. When she came through the door she had a coworker and two other friends with her. The girls had an awesome day at work (corporate showed up and everything was perfect so they wanted to take the staff out to celebrate)

I carry at work therefore having just returned home from work and walked the dog I was still doing so. They asked me to come to dinner in New Hampshire with them. I have the proper paperwork to carry in NH so I was fine with going to dinner therefore off we went.

After dinner the decision was made to go to a movie. We did not drive and with all the hooplah regarding movie theater shootings I was glad to be carrying but then again was afraid that they would be banning ccw there as well. (we have not been to the movies after the CO tragedy so I didn't know what to think)

MRS. Vermonter and I have it worked up that whenever one of us needs to stash a gun for whatever reason it goes in her purse. We made our sign to each other and were prepared to stash the firearm in the purse and then she would ask if it were ok to leave her purse in their trunk. (not optimal but no one should be going into her purse)

As we pulled up we quickly realized that it was a non issue and I could've carried a dam .50 cal without anyone noticing. Point being though we have our audibles called in advance.

Regards, Vermonter
Old September 9, 2012, 08:58 AM   #21
farmerboy

Y'all sound like yall got it down to a clue. Great job. Just me but if they wouldn't allow guns at a movie, I wouldn't go just for that reason.