The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 5, 2012, 06:02 PM   #1
Budda

So any new .38 bodyguard owners out there?

I just bought mine on a whim cuz it was a steal and the guy next to me said if I did not jump on it he would.

My question is.....I have researched it AFTER I bought it...(backwards...I know) and I have seen mixed reviews......how have yours been?? Good or bad.

I have been looking at this one or an LCR and the smith looked better made.
Old September 5, 2012, 06:13 PM   #2
Redhawk5.5+P+

Well, go shoot the darn thing!

Shoot first, ask questions later.
Old September 5, 2012, 06:16 PM   #3
Budda

I am stuck at work for a while and cant make it to the ranch till sat. I was just asking.......sheesh...
Old September 5, 2012, 07:13 PM   #4
Technosavant

The first one I bought had suffered the issue of the improper barrel attachment that required complete replacement. It shot about three feet to the left at seven yards.

The one they sent me to replace it has been great. It doesn't feel quite as solid as the 642, nor does it seem like it's capable of the same absolute accuracy of the 642, but the trigger pull and seeming recoil absorption of the plastic grip frame helps me shoot it just as well as the 642.

It's obviously built to a lower price point, but at that price point it's a solid little gun backed by the same good customer service as the rest of the S&W line.
Old September 6, 2012, 07:36 PM   #5
bedbugbilly

When I was looking for a light weight snubbie for CC, I looked at the BG and th LCR. I checked with several LGS that I do business with and only one had a BG in stock, and it was half of a special set of some kind that also included the BG 380. The BG hadn't been on the market too long and I'm glad that I went with the LCR as they did have some problems with the BG - on the other hand, they did with the LCR as well. The LCR fit my hand better but I was impressed with the BG. I'm not touting the LCR over the BG as they are both great lightweight SD revolvers. Had the BG fit my hand better, I would have gone with it.

Your BG looks nice and your groups that you shot are very good as well. I've always shot SA so it took me a while to get used to a DAO trigger as well. I did try the BG trigger pull when I looked at it and it wasn't bad - with practice, I think a person can soon get used to the trigger pulls on these types of revolvers Congrats on your new purchase and keep us posted on how it is working out for you. They are a nice carry piece for sure!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old September 8, 2012, 10:37 AM   #6
YankeeIronSights

A few months back, I was at a LGS and saw a BG .38 in like new condition selling for $300.00. I bought it on the spot. When I tested it at the range I experienced great disappointment. Using the iron sights, most shots landed about 6" to 10" left of the bullseye. Days later, I read in forums that the revolver had barrel issues and Smith and Wesson was working on it. Needless to say, I ended up selling it..

I recently bought a Ruger LCR .357 and love its quality and accuracy.
Old September 8, 2012, 01:41 PM   #7
Budda

ya, i have heard that too.....but they have long since fixed it in the newer ones. Sorry you it. S&W would have given you a new one.....I like the lcr but the Bodyguard is way thinner and less bulky.