The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 5, 2012, 10:10 PM   #1
kraigwy

Ruger MK III - getting fancy

I decided to get modern a bit and got a Mark III target and put red dot sights on it.

I don't like the thin grips. Is Ruger's wood grips thicker the the plastic grips that come with the gun, if not, anyone know of after market grips that are thicker???
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old September 5, 2012, 10:12 PM   #2
tahunua001

IIRC hogue makes the overmold fingergroove grips for the MKIII.

as for factory ruger the woods should be the same dimensions as the plastic so I doubt they would help you much.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old September 5, 2012, 10:16 PM   #3
kraigwy

Thanks, I was hoping to find something that was thick on sides, not front to back.

Guess I'll have to make some spacers.
Old September 5, 2012, 10:26 PM   #4
Creeper

Volquartsen makes some very nice plastic target grips that don't add to the back strap, but do add a bit to the front strap with finger grooves. $50.

They also make a laminated wood grip in a variety of colors in the same pattern... but are a bit pricy at $150

C
Old September 6, 2012, 07:49 AM   #5
drail

Oh man, those Volquartsens are like a bad LSD flashback. And just how long is that mag release button sticking out through the grip, like an inch? Here's the deal - on Ruger MK pistols you are pretty much limited to grips for use with one hand (Bullseye competition with a big thumbrest shelf) or grips that allow use of both hands. I currently own 3 MK II pistols with a lot of time on them and they all wear grips that I made myself because I couldn't find anything on the market that didn't suck. (I use both hands) In my opinion the gun was designed for one handed shooting based on the grip angle but can be used for two handed combat shooting if you can adapt the grips and your hold to the gun. Switching back and forth between a MK II and a 1911 is kind of - "challenging".

Last edited by drail; September 6, 2012 at 07:59 AM.
Old September 6, 2012, 10:30 AM   #6
Fishbed77

Quote:
I don't like the thin grips. Is Ruger's wood grips thicker the the plastic grips that come with the gun, if not, anyone know of after market grips that are thicker???
The Ruger wood grips are a bit thicker than the plastic grips. Not a lot, but definintely noticable when in the hand.

I have heard great things about the Hogue wrap-around grips. They seem to be a popular and inexpensive upgrade.

Old September 6, 2012, 11:49 AM   #7
kraigwy

Mox Nix

My Mk III is the 22/45 P5112 with the Integral grips, can't change them.
Old September 6, 2012, 12:02 PM   #8
tahunua001

you might still try the hogue grip sleeves. yes they add to the front and they may need to be re-adjusted every once in a while but they should be better than nothing.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old September 6, 2012, 01:11 PM   #9
sigcurious

IIRC, I saw a thread on rimfire central where someone modified their 22/45 to accept slightly modified 1911 grip panels. If I can find it again I'll post a link.
Old September 6, 2012, 01:16 PM   #10
sigcurious

22/45 mod

Not the exact thread I saw before, but shows what can be done and has the contact info for the member that does it.
Old September 6, 2012, 10:19 PM   #11
sgms

Google Ruger MK III you'll find a lot of options. Or shopruger.com/grips use to have a good selection on it.
Old September 7, 2012, 07:54 AM   #12
Skans

If you want to fancy-up a stainless Ruger Mark II or III, then PEARL is the only way to go!