The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old August 27, 2012, 02:22 PM   #26
johnbt

It appears that due process worked in this case. If it didn't he'd still be in the hospital.

"Threats? I must have missed the part where he made threats. "

You obviously did.

John
Old August 27, 2012, 02:30 PM   #27
johnbt

I'm sure the Rutherford Institute has done some good work for some people, but there are some entertaining statements on the site. Here's one of the pieces written by the founder.

"London 2012 Olympics: The Staging Ground for the Coming Police State?"

http://www.rutherford.org/publicatio...g_police_state
Old August 27, 2012, 02:41 PM   #28
pnac

Quote:
It appears that due process worked in this case. If it didn't he'd still be in the hospital.

"Threats? I must have missed the part where he made threats. "

You obviously did.
Cite, please. I'm still missing it.
Oh Lord grant me speed - Gram Parsons
Old August 28, 2012, 05:06 PM   #29
Eghad

The Federal Judge who ruled on the case said there no factual evidence presented and dismissed the case. Then you have the FBI & Secret Service involved. Which leaves the question did the "Special Judge give the Vet due process or is it just a Kangaroo Court where the judge rubber stamps the actions of law enforcement? I don't think the vet in question owned any firearms but he could have lost his right to in the future.

NRA Life Member
Old August 28, 2012, 05:51 PM   #30
KyJim

Quote:
The Federal Judge who ruled on the case said there no factual evidence presented and dismissed the case.
It was actually a state judge. I am unaware of any general federal statute that provides for involuntary commitments. That is the prerogative of the states.
Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.
Old August 28, 2012, 05:58 PM   #31
pnac

Eghad said:
Quote:
The Federal Judge who ruled on the case said there no factual evidence presented and dismissed the case. Then you have the FBI & Secret Service involved. Which leaves the question did the "Special Judge give the Vet due process or is it just a Kangaroo Court where the judge rubber stamps the actions of law enforcement? I don't think the vet in question owned any firearms but he could have lost his right to in the future.
Heres a link I posted in another discussion. Draw your own conclusions.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sluggi..._schizophrenia

The article in part:

Quote:
Sluggishly progressing schizophrenia or sluggish schizophrenia (Russian: вялотекущая шизофрения, vyalotekushchaya shizofreniya) was a category of schizophrenia diagnosed by psychiatrists in the Soviet Union to justify involuntary treatment of political dissidents. It was defined as a special form of the illness which supposedly affected only the person's social behavior, with no influence on other traits: "most frequently, ideas about a 'struggle for truth and justice' are formed by personalities with a paranoid structure", according to Moscow Serbsky Institute professors.[1] The diagnostic criteria were vague enough to be applied to nearly anyone, as desired. The dissidents were forcibly hospitalized and subjected to treatments which included antipsychotic drugs and electroconvulsive therapy.

Sluggish schizophrenia is not included in the International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems 10th Revision (ICD-10);[2] however, its Russian version adds sluggish schizophrenia to schizotypal personality disorder in section F21 of chapter V.[3]

Psychiatric diagnoses (such as the diagnosis of "sluggish schizophrenia" in political dissidents) in the USSR were used for political purposes;[4]:77 the diagnosis of sluggish schizophrenia was most frequently used for dissidents.[5] Critics implied that Snezhnevsky designed the Soviet model of schizophrenia (and this diagnosis) to make political dissent a mental illness.[6] According to American psychiatrist Peter Breggin, the term “sluggish schizophrenia” was created to justify involuntary treatment of political dissidents with drugs normally used for psychiatric patients.[7]
You may enjoy this quote from Voltaire:

Quote:
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize." -- Voltaire

Last edited by pnac; August 28, 2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old August 28, 2012, 09:10 PM   #32
pnac

Those that have been following the Brandon Raub case will want to watch this interview with Raub. My observation is that he is a very intelligent, articulate young man, that drew the wrath of the gummit for speaking out.

http://www.nbc12.com/story/19396255/...ng-confinement
Old August 31, 2012, 06:24 PM   #33
BGutzman

It wouldnt suprise me if we open Gulags in Alaska for re-education.... This is a clear attack on free speech...
Old September 1, 2012, 12:07 PM   #34
johnbt

Oh jeez, gulags. Everybody followed the written due process. Then, later in the same process available to anyone, a state judge said the original paperwork didn't have enough details about specific behavior and turned the guy loose. I'd say due process worked. Are mistakes made? Sure, there were over 6,000 people picked up for a 72-hour-max evaluation in one year just in this state and errors happen - both in paperwork and human judgement - just like they do in any organization.

Gulags? That's a leap of fanciful thinking. Every state has been using a process like this for decades and almost nobody noticed.

One of Raub's posts, cited by the ABC News Legal blog, said "Sharpen up my axe; I'm here to sever heads."

Then there are the references to posts that were not on his personal page.

"Certain other Facebook postings that were discussed at a court hearing on Monday for Raub focused on messages allegedly from a closed Facebook group that was not part of Raub’s public Facebook profile.

ABC News was not able to obtain access to those postings."

Maybe the authorities should be following up on his claims about...

"a secret Castle in Colorado where they have been raping and sacrificing children for many years.""

I have not talked to anyone who was on the scene and heard what he said to either the police or mental health employees. John