The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 16, 2001, 08:00 PM   #1
posigian

I found a 500 count box of "Star Bullets" in 38cal JHP for $17.00 at a local shop.

1) Any feed back on these bullets?

2) Can I follow the reciepes of a Speer or Nosler book?

3) Seemed like a good buy; should I go back and get the box?

This newbie thanks you,

Old March 16, 2001, 10:46 PM   #2
GeneS

I haven't used any Star .38 bullets, but I have loaded many thousand Star 9mm bullets, both 115 and 124 gr. They are quality bullets. Load data from any good manual should be applicable. As always, start below the maximum loads listed.
Old March 17, 2001, 11:55 PM   #3
S&W Man

I have used a lot of star bullets in different 38, 45, and 9mm configurations. They are a great bullet. From my reloading experience, you can use the data for any standard bullet from any company for any other IF IT IS THE SAME WEIGHT AND TYPE. IE: a 158gn JHP in Sierra, Hornady, Star, Winchester, or anyone can use the same loading data. A 124Gn FMJ from any company will use the same data as any other BUT NOT AS A 158JHP.Keep in mind that the load tests are done so they use the same bullet for all tests for that load, but not for all bullets of that weight. There are too many bullet manfacturers for them to test every bullet made by every manfactrer, they just test a certain weight and type.

And that is a d**ned good price for .357 JHP bullets, That is almost as inexpensive as cast lead.

The second admendment GUARANTEES the other nine and the Constitution!