The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 4, 2012, 03:12 AM   #1
Apom

PPQ shortage??

Just as I'm ready to purchase all my local stores are out.. and Buds went out of stock this morning... bummer.....

althought I did pull the trigger on the Midway USA compact competition range bag in coyote color.. cant wait to use it.
Old August 4, 2012, 06:45 PM   #2
FairWarning

Doesn't surprise me. They compete with the big boys of that league for a mid-level price.
Old August 5, 2012, 03:10 AM   #3
Apom

Anyone familiar on possible time tables or ball park estimates for re-supplying distributors in the US?
Old August 5, 2012, 10:27 AM   #4
balance

Try getting in contact with Buds, Galleryofguns, Vanceoutdoors, etc.

If none have any in stock, then you may need to wait until the next shipment comes in from Germany.

This happened occasionally with the P99 over the years.

Last edited by balance; August 5, 2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old August 5, 2012, 10:45 AM   #5
sigarms228

I would monitor Bud's frequently and also follow the following thread on the Walther Forum.

http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/p...rywhere-8.html

I was in my LGS yesterday and they got a couple phone calls looking for a PPQ within an hour.

Dang I should have bought five of them when i got mine for $489 shipped from Jet Guns.

Walther is no longer going to use Smith and Wesson as their US distributor and support for the PPQ which is GREAT IMO but there may be short term pain until Walther gets everything up and running here in the US. It will be nice to be able to buy Walther pistols without the Smith and Wesson billboard on them.
Old August 5, 2012, 11:22 AM   #6
Apom

I thought I read a post where someone said Walther is opening its own plant in the US?? But not until 2013? Ugh.. I hope to not have to wait that long.
Old August 5, 2012, 12:16 PM   #7
TunnelRat

Quote:
Walther is no longer going to use Smith and Wesson as their US distributor and support for the PPQ which is GREAT IMO but there may be short term pain until Walther gets everything up and running here in the US.
Hmm, I did not know that. That's good to know. Probably for the best as Walther has products in direct competition to what S&W offers and no way they'd get the fair amount of advertising.

Who will do the warranty service on them then?
Old August 5, 2012, 01:09 PM   #8
sigarms228

Here are the details that I have read. Looks like this will not happen until beginning of 2013.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...ther-arms-inc/

Arnsberg, Germany based PW Group, owners of shooting sports companies, CARL WALTHER GmbH Sportwaffen and Umarex, announce the formation of Walther Arms, Inc. to handle all the importation, sales, marketing, distribution and servicing of Walther products in the United States. The transition will occur in two phases beginning January 1, 2013. Previously, Smith & Wesson held responsibility for the distribution of Walther firearms and accessories in the United States. On January 1, that responsibility will be handled by the newly formed Walther Arms, Inc. with the exception of the Walther P22 and PK380 models, which Smith & Wesson will continue to sell and distribute through April 30, 2013.

Walther and Smith & Wesson will maintain their strategic alliance on several fronts—Smith & Wesson will continue to manufacture the PPK for Walther Arms, Inc. and CARL WALTHER will continue to manufacture the M&P22 handgun for S&W. Additionally, Umarex will continue to license the Smith & Wesson brand for airgun products. “We are extremely thankful for the relationship we have had and will continue to have with the quality organization of Smith & Wesson,” said Wulf-Heinz Pflaumer, President of PW Group. “Smith & Wesson has been an outstanding partner and has represented the Walther brand in the U.S. with tremendous focus, effort and results. We look forward to many more years of strategic alliance with Smith & Wesson.”

“We are excited about the formation of our new company, Walther Arms, Inc. It will allow us to intensify our focus on the U.S. firearms market,” said Pflaumer. The Walther brand is a legend in the firearms industry with a rich history of design, innovation and outstanding German manufacturing. “Walther is known throughout the world as a leader in handgun innovation and quality. The new U.S. based Walther Arms allows a more direct influence from the U.S. consumer’s wants and needs into our product development.” said Karl Heinz-Luther, Vice President of Sales & Marketing, CARL WALTHER GmbH Sportwaffen.

Walther Arms, Inc. will begin operations sharing a corporate campus in Fort Smith, Arkansas with Umarex USA, another company in the PW Group. Adam J. Blalock has been named President & CEO of Walther Arms, Inc. and will also remain as President & CEO of Umarex USA. “We are extremely grateful for the way Smith & Wesson has represented Walther and we look forward to our continued relationship with them”, said Blalock, “We will have a dedicated team focused on meeting the needs of U.S. consumers with high quality, innovative products worthy of the Walther brand. We are very thankful for the many loyal Walther customers and we’re excited for the opportunity to serve them.”
Old August 5, 2012, 02:18 PM   #9
sigarms228

As of the time of my post they are in stock in the following link - CTR Guns. I know nothing of the vendor however.

http://www.ctrguns.net/catalog_detai...oduct_id=78091
Old August 5, 2012, 04:14 PM   #10
Apom

Thanks Sig.. will give them a call tomorrow when they open.
Old August 6, 2012, 09:23 AM   #11
Nevertoomanyguns

Apom you need to get on it and buy one of these babies! I just bought one in 9mm a little over a week ago and have put 500 trouble free rounds through it. It is very accurate and the trigger is the best factory striker fire that I have shot.

It has me looking at my Glock 22, one of my favorite guns, where I might sell it to buy a PPQ in .40 S&W. The only thing that is holding me back is that the G22 has been 100 % reliable for me and is very accurate at that, plus I have shot some toothy critters with it, (coyotes and bobcats) and I have done a lot of rust free canoe and hiking trips with it so it has some sentimental value to it as well.
Old August 7, 2012, 02:17 AM   #12
Apom

Never,

I placed an order early Monday morning (4am) from CTR Guns website. They had 2 left in stock. By 12:00pm Monday the last one on their site was sold out.

Got all my paperwork in and now waiting for that phone call to let me know when its ready for pickup.

Also bought a new Midway USA compact competition bag. Cant wait tor try everything out at the range.
Old August 7, 2012, 08:35 AM   #13
sigarms228

Cool!

Let us know how your experience with CTR goes and what you think of your new PPQ once you get it and try it out.
Old August 8, 2012, 10:56 PM   #14
Apom

1.Placed my order with CTR Guns (Arizona) monday morning (about 4-5am via website). Went to bed.
2. Woke up and went to my local FFL dealer about 3pm Monday and filled out paperwork.
3. Worked Tuesday.
4. At work on Wednesday when I get a phonecall around 4pm that my PPQ is ready for pickup.

From Arizona to Florida in 3 days. That was fast. Will be going to range this weekend to try it out.