The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 1, 2012, 04:47 PM   #26
SC4006

well i certainly got the answer to my question none the less... thanks for all the replies again. if they weren't sold out i'd definitely be buying some of that .22 ammo, oh well.
Old August 1, 2012, 05:01 PM   #27
Gunnut17

My dad was trained on a 1911 converted to .22 while in the Navy.

"|Pistol calibers| all suck, so pick the one you shoot best."
Old August 1, 2012, 05:44 PM   #28
2damnold4this

I don't remember who made the ammo but I shot quite a bit of .22lr out of single shot rifles on a shooting team with the Tennessee Army NG back in the Eighties.
Old August 1, 2012, 09:59 PM   #29
kraigwy

Quote:
I don't remember who made the ammo but I shot quite a bit of .22lr out of single shot rifles on a shooting team with the Tennessee Army NG back in the Eighties.
If they came in Green boxes they were Remington, if they came in White boxes they were Wincherster.

Unless of course you got some special civilian manufactored ammo.

In the early 80s (forgot exactly what year) my unit won the CNGB Postal match using the M16a1 and the sub-cal device. We were flown to Nashville, (the Hqrs of the NG MTU before they moved to Little Rock),

We were issued Remington Green Box which functioned quite well in the sub-cal devices.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old August 1, 2012, 10:08 PM   #30
30-30remchester

During WWII in the Alutian Island invasion by the Japanese, there existed a lagistics problem. Seems the islands were so large no individual could carry enough food to actually travel the distances required to spy on the Japs. The militaries solution was to employ an outfit called Castners Cutthroats. These were mainly Alaskan sourdoughs and outdoorsmen familiar with the wild places. When asked what they need to go on extended inland reconisence missions, the one thing every cutthroat was supplied was a 22 handgun. This allowed the reco guys to secure needed food in a lightweight quiet gun. Google Castners Cutthroats and look at some photos and you will see their 22 pistols.
Old August 2, 2012, 01:14 AM   #31
FloridaVeteran

I still have, and occasionally shoot (against my Colt collector friend's advice) a Service Model Ace .22lr that presumably was used to train Army troops sometime prior to the early 1950s (it was bought as surplus from the Army). It was the first semi-auto I ever shot, handed down by my dad around 1956. There seem to be modern equivalents available. They give the heft of a 1911 and ammo costs of near-zero compared to the ACP rounds. There was also a civilian version and a fair number come up for sale on Gunbroker. The downside is that real military Aces are expensive, so while there is a "cool" factor, the cost sorta defeats the advantage of cheap ammo. But it was a very creative solution for its original purpose. I was surprised that a puny little .22 cartridge could cycle a slide that heavy.
Old August 2, 2012, 06:03 AM   #32
PawPaw

We used a device in the 105mm M68 gun as a sub-caliber device to help with crew training. It fired .22LR ammo from a rifle device mounted in the breechblock. As I recall, it fired tracer ammo and was woefully inadequate even for training purposes. There is no way a .22LR can be made to simulate a 105mm round.

But, when I was in college our ROTC department had a range and they shot a lot of .22LR ammo, teaching basic marksmanship to the cadets.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old August 2, 2012, 09:46 AM   #33
cannonfire

The only sub cal conversions for the M16FOW I saw in the marines was a 9mm conversion kit for sim rounds.

I know the training version of the AT4 uses a small caliber tracer, I think they told us it was a .22 but I don't remember. Heck I don't even remember what I ate for breakfast

Blaming guns for crime is like blaming the planes for 9/11
Old August 2, 2012, 10:01 AM   #34
aarondhgraham

Green box & White Box ammo,,,

Quote:
If they came in Green boxes they were Remington, if they came in White boxes they were Wincherster.
The stuff I have is definitely Mil-Surp,,,
It comes in a white box,,,
It's Remington ammo.

Just saying,,,

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old August 2, 2012, 12:42 PM   #35
kraigwy

What is the year of that, I've never seen Remington in white box, though I got out (retired) in 1992.

Learn something every day.
Old August 2, 2012, 12:59 PM   #36
aarondhgraham

Hello kraigwy,,,

This is from the CMP website:

DESCRIPTION: Remington .22 Long Rifle Ammunition.
US Military contract Remington .22LR ammunition dated 1995 production.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old August 2, 2012, 08:21 PM   #37
Bob Wright

Quote:
When I was in the new York National Guard we had 22LR conversion units for the M-16s. Used them only 1x IIRC to allow the troops to qualify when for whatever reason we couldn't get to the range.
How novel! A conversion kit to convert a .22 to a .22.

Bob Wright
Old August 2, 2012, 08:24 PM   #38
Bob Wright

Quote:
Unless of course you got some special civilian manufactored ammo.
I thought it was ALL civilian manufactured?

Bob Wright
Old August 2, 2012, 09:33 PM   #39
kraigwy

Quote:
I thought it was ALL civilian manufactured?
You're right, I met to say purchased locally as opposed to getting it through the Military ASP's.
Old August 3, 2012, 12:36 AM   #40
MR.S45

I've been told the US Air Force used to train with the Ciener Partner .22 conv. in M16's. Some trained with the Colt 1911 Ace .22 (the gun also had a 45 top-end to go with it, i've seen a few)
And.....what was the full auto Ruger 10/22's used for?
Old August 3, 2012, 05:53 PM   #41
couillon

I bet there are a few military trainers still in service somewhere. My M44 Mossberg was marked to the Naval Weapons Support Center in Crane Indiana. One of about 3500 in inventory that were renumbered and parked in the 1970s. I think I hae a .22 headspace guage somewhere around here still in the military contractor packaging too.

Old August 5, 2012, 08:52 AM   #42

My Guard unit (CT) had some .22 conversion kits in the armory for the M-16s. We used them once. There is also a yearly rifle match at the Coast Guard Academy that CT NG guys go to. The match uses service rifles with the .22 conversions.

Way back when, I shot .22 bolt action rifles while on my high school rifle team, we used rifles belonging to the NG unit in the Ansonia armory. They also had a range in the basement.

Every armory I was assigned to had a range inside (Waterbury, Naugatuck, New Haven, and the above mentioned Ansonia armories- the Danbury one had one also though I wasn't assigned to that one). Most of them were decomissioned when I joined, but obvious there was a need for a range capable of handling .22 cal shooting at one time.

I know 1st Mar Div had a rimfire rifle team back in the 70s. They used Marine Corps rifles.