The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 29, 2012, 02:00 PM   #1
mayosligo

Storing ammo

When I purchase rounds I normally buy several boxes and then it could be weeks until I get to the range. Do people store there ammo in speculation containers or boxes? Or do you just leave them as you buy them. I am not talking thousands of rounds, but times I could have a dozen boxes in between range visits. I have also thought of reloading and thought if I reloaded all my brass I would need to store it somehow.
Old July 29, 2012, 02:41 PM   #2
Arizona Smithshooter

Unless I load them into magazines I leave them in the boxes they came in. For one thing every commercial box of ammo has a lot number issued by the manufacturer in case there is a recall or you have a problem shooting. If you dump all your rounds into one box there is no way of knowing where they came from.

My reloaded ammo is stored in 100 round plastic boxes and the box has the date I loaded it, the powder, primer and bullet that I used.
Old July 29, 2012, 03:15 PM   #3
Tag1980

I store them in the boxes and load the mags before I leave the house when I'm going to go to the range.
Old July 29, 2012, 04:08 PM   #4
Kreyzhorse

Buy a couple of ammo cans and store your ammo, in the factory box, in the ammo cans. The ammo cans aren't necessary, but they help me keep my ammo organized.
Old July 29, 2012, 04:23 PM   #5
Smitty500Mag

Keep them in climate controlled storage and they'll last a long time. In fact even if they're not they last a long time. I found some 00 buckshot 12 ga shotgun shells that belonged to my Great Grandfather in my Grandpa's attic that had been there for at least 40 years in very hot conditions and very cold conditions for all those years and they shot just as good as new.
Old July 29, 2012, 05:00 PM   #6
kilimanjaro

I keep it in the steel ammo cans in a locker, in the original boxes. Don't stack your stuff on a concrete floor or against an exterior wall without having it in cans and/or a locker, due to moisture wicking or temperature swings.

For the old brass, I got some Tupperware-like storage containers at the Dollar Store, they stack nicely and keep it separated.