The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 10, 2011, 03:48 PM   #1
gdeal

Concealed Carry Black Leather Fanny Pack

I was reading in the Wall Street Journal that Fanny Packs might be making a comeback. So that made me think of the concealed carry leather fanny packs. What do people on this forum think of them? Oh and I have a S&W M&P Compact 40. Would the Small size be big enough for that?
Old February 10, 2011, 03:52 PM   #2
egor20

TBH, every time I see some one with a fanny pack my first thought is "I wonder what gun they're carrying ?"

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand

Last edited by egor20; February 10, 2011 at 04:06 PM.
Old February 10, 2011, 04:16 PM   #3
Pbearperry

I carry in a Fanny Pack during the warm weather.My preference is any old generic fanny.I feel that Fanny packs made specifically for firearms project that image.I want a fanny pack that says,cell phone,camera,or whatever.
Old February 10, 2011, 10:11 PM   #4
ChileVerde1

"TBH, every time I see some one with a fanny pack my first thought is "I wonder what gun they're carrying ?" - Ditto! You really telegraph that you're carrying. By now, even the dumbest crooks know what those are.

Bad idea - your CCW should be carried on your person in a good quality holster that has good retention. I prefer a leather pancake or paddle style with a thumbreak.
Old February 10, 2011, 10:21 PM   #5
oldandslow

gdeal, 2/11/11

Fanny/waist packs have been a concealment option for a long time. Whether or not they work depends on how commonly they are worn in your area. I live in the tropics where every other tourist carries some sort of waist or fannypack. I also use one when I am not carrying IWB and it fits in fine with the local habits. I have traveled back to the States and noted many areas where very few locals carry one and thus it is much more conspicuous. Generally a nylon, non-black model blends in best in my area. Check out www.theconcealmentshop.com. Click on the pistol pack icon to see their products from Anderson Enterprises (AE). Good luck.

best wishes- oldandslow
Old February 10, 2011, 11:56 PM   #6
Yung.gunr

My wife would propably leave me if I wore a fanny pack. Not to mention having to kick my own a**. In my generation fanny packs are very uncool. I stick with IWB or pocket carry.
Old February 11, 2011, 11:35 AM   #7
Pahoo

Quote:
TBH, every time I see some one with a fanny pack my first thought is "I wonder what gun they're carrying ?"
A local NRA certified instructor that I know, claims that it is just as revieling as an open carry. He also says that most LEO's are aware of this. Another, is camera cases which are almost as bad .....

BE Safe!!
Old February 11, 2011, 12:30 PM   #8
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
What do people on this forum think of them?
In theory, they might work okay, but for one reason or another they seem to draw attention. That isn't some thing you really want if you are carrying a CCW.
Old February 11, 2011, 02:33 PM   #9
Skans

Not very concealed - I know a at least one guy and one woman who used these to holster guns. Most folks just think they are fruity - I've heard several folks comment on a friends black leather fanny pack. Non-gun folks don't know that there is a gun in there, but it still draws lots of unwanted attention.

Personally, I think there are better ways to carry concealed, but if you intend to carry a full-sized gun, its an option.
Old February 11, 2011, 02:40 PM   #10
Pbearperry

Unfortunately in hot weather when I am just wearing a t shirt and shorts,there is no other way for me to carry.
Old February 11, 2011, 02:48 PM   #11
rantingredneck

I do occaisonally carry off body in some sort of bag, but it's generally when carrying an extra gun in the car on long trips.

I'm sure it's hotter in the summers here in NC than it is in MA and I often carry one and sometimes two guns on my person in shorts and a T-shirt.

It takes a combination of the right gun, the right belt, the right holster, and the right clothes, but it's very do-able.

I prefer revolvers for the most part and it's not hard to carry an SP101 on my belt and an LCR in a shorts pocket completely unnoticed by the populace at large.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old February 11, 2011, 05:05 PM   #12
retiredcoasty

One of my co-workers, a retired cop, sometimes uses one of these packs to carry. It is like a strobe light that he is carrying. It is a beacon of concealment. Kind of defeats the purpose.
Old February 12, 2011, 04:43 AM   #13
bamaranger

screams ........GUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I see one and I think, he's packing, espcially a black one.

Carrying in the heat. Plenty hot here in AL. My usual hot weather rig is a M36/60 2" .38 in the pocket, or a Sig 230/.380 likewise.
Old February 12, 2011, 05:19 AM   #14
scoobydoo6906

I would think "are they carrying" but john q public is clueless. my blackhawk serpa sticks out below my shirt and I carry a full sized m&p from time to time and not one person has noticed or has said buttkiss to me. I have open carried also and I don't think but 1 in three people even noticed. cops and ccw people might think gun but thats it I think
Old February 12, 2011, 11:10 AM   #15
Skans

Quote:
I would think "are they carrying" but john q public is clueless.
That is true, but john q public will still have their attention drawn to it. I've been with someone many times who uses one of these and he always gets comments.
Old February 13, 2011, 01:44 PM   #16
AngryPatriot

There's a fellow making all leather quasi-pack holsters that carry the gun and a spare mag. Don't know how large/small the limits are to what he makes tho....

www.dragonleatherworks.com

He calls it a "Pistol Pouch"...

Patriot
Old February 22, 2011, 10:03 AM   #17
HJ857

I have a number of nylon and canvas messenger bags around because I used to travel primarily by bicycle. I glued velcro in to one of the pockets and have a half holster attached to it. Holds my Beretta very well, plus two extra mags. I'm used to how it feels so it seems natural to me. I use it no matter what type of clothing I have on.
Old July 28, 2012, 04:07 PM   #18
Larry C.

I've used a fanny pack on occasion

Howdy,

With our budget being so tight these days, I no longer have $100 for a new holster. I'm wanting to carry concealed again. Recently I employed a dark brown leather fanny pack for my 92FS and wore the rig with dark dockers and under an untucked Hawaii type shirt.
It was more comfotable than my Galco leather holster for my GP100, which I doubt i could've effectively concealed, even under my photographer's vest. Here in Louisiana we have "open carry", but I'm not prepared to undertake this just yet.
Old July 29, 2012, 11:01 AM   #19
tobnpr

I like these...not a Fanny Pack...
Gonna get my wife one for her LC9 for when she doesn't have it in her purse.

Here is their model for the S&W:

http://www.sneakypeteholsters.com/pr...product_id=134