The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 21, 2012, 01:17 PM   #1
ZOOM2X

?? re your SCOPE on your Ruger 10/22 TAKEDOWN model

Do you have a scope on your Ruger 10/22 TAKEDOWN model that, when taken down, still fits in the Ruger Takedown backpack-style carrying case? If yes, keep reading, please.

The pouch for the receiver-half of the rifle is too short to begin with, in my newbie opinion, as the receiver-half sticks out past the top of the pouch but the flap is sufficiently long that it wraps around the butt and holds the receiver-half in. OK, but not optimal.

I loosely put the Weaver Classic 2.5-7X 28MM on my 10/22 just to see if it would fit OK with proper eye relief and fit in the case. Well, it won't fit in the case. The butt of the receiver-half (or if you reverse it, the objective end of the scope) sticks too far out of the pouch and the flap won't go around to hold it in. It's just too long. The Weaver weighs 9.75 oz. and is 11.5" long.

Now, I think I'll try the Leupold VX-1 2-7X 28MM (which was my first choice anyway but decided at the last minute to go Weaver for some reason -- probably because the Weaver rings were about $18 and the Leupold rings were $48! --- I now think the Weaver rings will do just fine on the Leupold scope; and I think I had the weights reversed for these two scopes because I surely thought I was ordering the lighter of the two and even said so in a prior forum post). The Leupold VX-1 weighs 8.5 oz. and is 9.9" long.

I think the 1.6" difference in length will do the trick but now for the questions:

1) Does anyone have a Leupold VX-1 on a Ruger 10/22 Takedown?
2) If yes, does it properly fit in the Ruger Takedown carrying case?
3) Does anyone have any scope on their Ruger 10/22 Takedown that properly fits in the Ruger Takedown carrying case?
4) If yes, which scope is it?

Thanks for your help. Have a good day.

NRA Benefactor

Last edited by ZOOM2X; July 21, 2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old July 24, 2012, 08:01 AM   #2
jmr40

I put a Leupold 2-7 on mine just to see if it will fit. It won't, but by using Weaver rings it is a simple turn of a screw with a screwdriver to remove or replace the scope. I've done this in the past with Weaver mounts and have always had the scope return to zero. Quick detachable mounts are a possibility, but keeping a screwdriver in the case is a lot cheaper. There is space in the case for rifle and scope once removed.

I'm also considering buying a VX-1 scope in 1-4X20. That should fit without having to remove the scope

I haven't zeroed the scope, still thinking about which route I'm going to go, but am seriously considering using the 2-7 that is sitting on there and just removing it when in the case. I already own the scope and this would save me $200 and likely work just as well.
Old July 24, 2012, 09:08 PM   #3
ZOOM2X

JMR

thanks -- I'm still undecided. I have these Weaver rings (still in the factory packing) and have a "stubby" screwdriver and a 6-screwdriver jeweler's set (used to mount the Ruger scope base -- the 4 little screws that filled the scope base holes are in a plastic baggie, also in the carrying case) in the Ruger carrying case for use when I decide what to do

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/320...s-matte-medium

Lee

NRA Benefactor
Old July 25, 2012, 12:53 AM   #4
sholling

Maybe this will help. If the scope in the video is the one that I think it is (VX-2 1-4x20) it's 9.5" long so I'm surprised that the 10" VX-1 2-7x28 won't fit. The Leupold Rifleman is 11" and about the same size as the Weaver RV7 so I can see where that might be a tight fit. The Leupold FX-1 4x28 us even shorter at 9.2".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMWTN-xQo_g

Last edited by sholling; July 25, 2012 at 01:06 AM.
Old July 25, 2012, 10:13 AM   #5
jmr40

Those are the same rings I'm using, most Walmarts have them. No need to remove the base. Just loosen the 2 screws and the rings and scope come off in a few seconds. Same putting it back on. I've done this in the past quite often and never had any problems returning to zero. Might not be good enough for a serious long range target shooter,but close enough for any of my hunting rifles,and certainly a 22 plinker.

I'll go to the range tomorrow and see how it shoots like it is and then decide whether to keep it as is, or try something else.

Tags
ruger 10/22 takedown , scope