The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 17, 2012, 08:27 PM   #1
woody wood

10/22 idea?

i was going to build a ruger 10/22 by buying a entry level rifle and swaping out a stock that i already have and buy a bull barrel.but than i thought i'd buy just a complete reciever with trigger online for around $170(new ruger).
than i had a thought-maybe buy a 10/22 charger,have fun with it,than later swap reciever into my rifle stock with a bull barrel.(18 inch or longer).
i suppose thats a no no with reciever being registered as a pistol?
any thoughts? or give up on charger idea?
Old July 18, 2012, 10:19 AM   #2
Pahoo

Seek and you "may" find !!!

Mentioned this option to an ATF guy about a year ago and these guys are very evasive on their answers. He did state that they are more concerned with someone taking a rifle and turning it into a pistol. Then you get into the realm of "short-rifles" and so on. Don't read much about "long-pistols". Suggest you talk to some dealers and then contact your ATF regional office.
Please try and come back to let us know what you found out !!!

Be Safe !!!
Old July 18, 2012, 06:27 PM   #3
Jo6pak

I would think that since it is legal to put a buttstock and longer barrel on a TC contender pistol, the same would be true for a 10/22.

But I'd also advise you check into it more, just to be safe.

And as Pahoo mentioned, let us know what you find.

Last edited by Jo6pak; July 18, 2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old July 18, 2012, 07:05 PM   #4
ScottRiqui

Quote:
I would think that since it is legal to put a buttastock and longer barrel on a TC contender pistol, the same would be true for a 10/22.

But I'd also advise you check into it more, just to be safe.
I second the idea of investigating further. I know that the T/C Contender is mentioned specifically by name in some of the regulations, so it's possible that a modification that would be legal with a T/C might not be legal with another gun (however similar it may be).

Looking at the ATF rules, I *think* you can legally do it in the following order:

Remove the stock,
Remove the barrel,
Install a barrel greater than or equal to 16"
Install the rifle stock.

This shouldn't require any kind of a tax stamp, but once you've done this I don't believe you can legally go back to a pistol configuration without additional fees/paperwork.
Old July 18, 2012, 10:04 PM   #5
Coach Z

It was my understanding that the T/C contender ruling made it legal to transition back and forth as long as it's done in the above mentioned order and never ends up in an SBR configuration. Before contacting ATF and waiting a long time for a reply I'd read through some of the recent interpretations and I think you'll find the definitive answer.

As an example I just purchased 5 stripped AR lower receivers and they can be built as whatever I like.
Old July 19, 2012, 12:13 AM   #6
toppermost

Funny I should run into this post... Was just wondering: Can I save any money if I build a 1022 piece by piece? I have a couple of old pieces laying around.
Old July 19, 2012, 02:29 AM   #7
nimbleVagrant

The left-over bits and pieces of 10/22s I've customized over the years never seem to hang around for very long. There's always someone looking for a stainless barrel or a plastic stock or whatever, and I'm always happy to give it away.
Old July 20, 2012, 07:30 PM   #8
smoakingun

does minesota have a firearms registry? if no, the the piece is not "registered as a pistol. The ATF does not care if the reciever is used for a pistol or a rifle, of if it is changed back and forth, so long as the rifle stock does not attatch to the reciever at the same time the pistol barrel is attatched. There is no maximum lencth on a pistol barrel
Hundreds of years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove... But the world may be different because I did something so bafflingly crazy that my ruins become a tourist attraction.
Old July 24, 2012, 07:09 PM   #9
Caliber

@toppermost no you can't save money building a 1022 from scratch you wind up spending more for this and oh that looks nice lets buy that and wind up going from $200 budget to this: http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...7/565fe0bf.jpg

:-\
Old August 7, 2012, 10:10 PM   #10
1911steelplate

Much like caliber I built a 10/22 "project" and had more money into it than shoulda been spent on 2 10/22's! If your looking for a high quality 10/22, I've looked at Magnum Research's version and was very impressed. If you have to build your own "project" then go for it, it's alot of fun, just may not be the best bang for the buck.imao.
Old August 8, 2012, 02:06 PM   #11
Pahoo

Ya get what you pay for !!!

Quote:
I've looked at Magnum Research's version and was very impressed.
Worth every "dollar" but sure spoils my tinkering. I often do trigger jobs on 10/22's and theirs is excellent !!! .....

Be Safe !!!