The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old July 13, 2012, 02:47 AM   #1
Bedrockk

South Florida IDPA/USPSA Recommendations?

I know I could just blindly google for locations but I prefer forum inquiries to see people's experiences or comments.

I've never done either before & have only been shooting for a few months so any pointers or preferences would be welcome.
Old July 13, 2012, 09:40 AM   #2
Jim Watson

Without hitting the maps, I don't know which of the Florida IDPA and USPSA clubs are near Miami, but you can look them up.

http://www.idpa.com/clublist.asp?pick=FL
http://www.uspsa.org/locate-uspsa-clubs-results.php

I shoot IDPA these days.
There is a good introduction at:
http://www.gadpa.com/index.php/idpa/...r-information/
http://www.gadpa.com/index.php/idpa/...oter-briefing/

Some places offer new shooter indoctrination and even classes but some don't.
We mostly hold matches, not instructional courses.
You are expected to know how to operate, fire, and shoot your gun.
You will be starting with a draw from the holster, from under a concealment garment in IDPA, shooting at widely varied targets, shooting on the move, from behind cover in IDPA, around assorted props in USPSA, in various stances, positions, and contortions.
You will be moving with a loaded gun in hand, sometimes shooting, reloading on the move in USPSA, getting to cover to reload in IDPA.

Safety, keeping control of your gun is essential.
You can have a lot of fun, but you need to be in constant learning mode. Pay attention to the course of fire directions and watch experienced shooters. Don't try to go as fast as they do, though.
Old July 16, 2012, 07:10 AM   #3
g.willikers

As a new shooter, you might want to start with another game that doesn't require as much gun savvy, at first.
Like Steel Challenge, or NRA Bianchi Cup style action pistol.
You will still be required to draw from the holster, and engage multiple targets fast, but there's no running around with a loaded gun, reloading under the clock or shooting around props and such.
Both are excellent games in their own rights, and also very good training for the more fancy games.
Old July 18, 2012, 03:21 PM   #4
5RWill

Define shooting for a few months? I've recently started USPSA about a month ago but been shooting firearms for years and handguns for about 6 months on a regular basis. Definitely takes some practice to feel natural running around with a firearm.
Old July 19, 2012, 12:14 PM   #5
Bedrockk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackops_2 View Post
Define shooting for a few months?
Since early May. Been going to the range a few times every week since.

I'm not concerned about being "fast" but just want to have some recreational fun, learn/expose myself to some new things & meet some people. I'm actually going to go watch my first USPSA match this afternoon.
Old July 19, 2012, 02:35 PM   #6
Mr Budha

Good info, I'm new to shooting as well but want to go watch some of these events and eventually participate.
Old July 19, 2012, 07:44 PM   #7
5RWill

I insisted that i watch my first as well, as the guy who invited me to shoot, told me i had to shoot my first (jokingly) he insisted i do so. I was nervous as hell, but it was fun. I still get nervous/anxious when i go to bigger matches. Technically i shoot a USPSA match every friday but it's with all friends and at the gun club, it's more or less practice. When i go to byrum or Glenn i'm nervous. The main thing stressed to me by ROs was don't try to win or go fast your first time, just have fun and be safe. Though since getting dqed in byrum safety has been on my mind, last tournament i shot was in Glenn and though i didn't get DQed i shot the worst i ever have to date. First match is free, i say if you feel you have enough fundamentals, and are comfortable go for it.

As far as shooting this is JMO but learn how to shoot accurately before fast. Maybe i get that from rifles but accuracy is of prime importance to me.