The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 12, 2012, 06:09 PM   #1
OleEd

Your opinion please

I gave my son my 9mm and thought and settled on the 9mm Sig P226 Elite Dark but hey, for $1200 bucks I could get another 45.

I'm looking at the STI Trojan, Sig 1911 Compact RCS NITRON and the Remington 1911r Enhanced. I have the Remington 1911r1 base model and enjoy it. The R1 I have is accurate, no (nada) mechanical problems and feels the same as the one's I carried in the Marines and in the Army but have the itch for one more....

Not wanting to get in a get a kimber etc. debate., so please, if you have the STI, SIG Comp RCS NITRON or the R1 Enhanced. Even the Sig 226 above. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

Retired - Army and Civil Service w/CBT ENGRS
NRA Life Menber (1969)
Old July 12, 2012, 08:57 PM   #2
lamarw

You have a good group in the mix, and I agree with you on the R1 since I have one too. I realize the R1 enhanced has a few extra features, but I wonder if it will be worth the difference vs a totally different pistol for your shooting pleasure.

Just to confuse things more, have you handled a Sig P220? I am an old combat engineer myself and know what you mean about the old M1911A1s. I have a feeling you might just love the P220.
Old July 12, 2012, 10:58 PM   #3
BarryLee

Well, I have a SIG P229 9mm and P220 .45 and both are great guns. If you do decide to lay down $1200 for a 1911 I would suggest you give serious consideration to Colt or maybe Springfield Armory both have very nice guns in that price range.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old July 12, 2012, 11:04 PM   #4
willmc33

I have a Sig P226 Navy 9mm and it has been an impecable firearm. It is in the mid 7000 round range and it is still tight and it good condition. I have never had a malfunction of any kind and it has been as reliable as a S&W revolver so far. Worth every penny it cost. Cant help much with the 1911 because my experience is very limited with that platform but I can highly reccomend the P226.
Old July 13, 2012, 10:44 AM   #5
Constantine

Have the SIG P226 e2, and it's one of my favorites if not the favorite carry gun. You'll love it.

As for the 1911 part..I'm getting my SIG 1911 XO in tomorrow. I'll post about that also. Keep an eye on this semi auto forum.
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium. Ímperet ílli Déus, súpplices deprecámur: tuque, prínceps milítiæ cæléstis, Sátanam aliósque spíritus malígnos, qui ad perditiónem animárum pervagántur in múndo, divína virtúte, in inférnum detrúde. Ámen
Old July 13, 2012, 12:03 PM   #6
KyJim

I have an STI Spartan which is the bargain basement model from STI and it is an extremely accurate pistol. Real world shooting, I'm hard pressed to tell the difference between it and a Les Baer I own. The Trojan is better finished than the Spartan, though I don't know if it is anymore accurate. I also own a Sig C3 1911 which is closely related to the Sig Compact. The Sigs are solid guns but STIs are better. I don't have the others so I won't comment.

Consider what you are going to use it for. If it is a range or home defense gun, a full sized pistol like the Trojan would be more appropriate. If you choose to carry, perhaps the Sig Compact might suit you better.
Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.