The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 8, 2012, 08:09 PM   #26
Slamfire

I keep track of the number of times rifle brass is reloaded, but I am starting to give that up for pistol.

For pistol, I just keep on reloading them till the case necks crack, or I lose them in the grass.
Old July 9, 2012, 04:46 AM   #27
Mike / Tx

Like most of the others who have posted, once upon a time I kept up with the number of times I shot a particular batch of cases. I used the ammo box method, and it was fairly easy. I did the same with my rifle cases as well. Simply check the box on the inside label at each loading. This was fine when I had one firearm of a caliber, or simply used one load in a particular rifle.

Once I managed to add to my collection, and to work up other loads with more than one bullet weight, it started to slide. Then after a while I reorganized everything. I went through and inspect each case I had in every caliber I loaded, (and believe me it took a couple of months to get done in the evening after work.) After I was done I had only found a dozen or so that were close using the paper clip, and a few others I felt were suspect. I simply dumped them all into the tumbler and decided that it wasn't an issue.

This said, now as I load up a batch of 50-100, I look them over and the ones which look iffy, or the primer seats a little soft, I will take a sharpie or magic marker and color the base of the case red. Once I am done with it I toss it into the scrap bin.

Revolver and auto rounds will last seemingly forever, or until I loose them in the woods while hunting, or the washer or dryer finds them. (The wife don't like finding empties in her equipment). Rifle cases usually make it several years before either the neck splits or they get lost. Usually they are the most prone to being lost while I am hunting hogs. I simply don't take the time to look for them in the brush or tall grass when I got to shooting them.

Your on the right track for sure. But as mentioned if you shoot enough, it will get to a point sometime on down the road where you will find, like most, that in some cases it will matter and in some you will simply weed them out as you go. When I shot 50 rounds a handgun ammo a month, and 50 rounds of rifle a year, it was simple. Once I got to shooting 2-300 rounds of handgun ammo a week, and 50-100 rounds of rifle, through several rifles a year, it got tedious.
Old July 11, 2012, 07:40 PM   #28
tobnpr

I use sectioned bins.
Some guys just use ziplocs.
Some guys use coffee cans.
Record number of times reloaded, and when the brass was last trimmed.

Some guys also segregate by weight and headstamp, I do not.

Like everything else in the shooting hobby, there's all degrees of "anality"

Sometimes I'll have a "mixed" box of 50 rounds loaded for the range, I'll use a cardboard separator (3x fired vs. say, 5x fired), and obviously each case goes back in the hole it came out of, same as if it's a different load.
Old July 11, 2012, 08:39 PM   #29
Don P

The last time I was on top of my cases I got up with all these little dents and marks on me. Almost as bad as laying on a bed of nails