The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 6, 2012, 08:02 PM   #1
Captain H

Shot the S&W Shield today

What a good shooting pistol. A friend of mine was visiting and we ended up at the range to pop off some rounds. He let me shoot his S&W 9mm Shield. Very accurate. Even though a compact, I was able to shoot just as tight groups at 15 yards as my S&W mod 10 and my 1911 that I had brought. Trigger was nice and felt pretty crisp, I liked it. Recoil was not bad at all. Fit and finish was top notch, typical of any S&W IMO. The pistol was very small and slim. I compared its size to my Kel-Tech P11 and it was about the same but slimmer.

If this little compact shot this good, I need to try out a full size M&P 9mm.
Old July 6, 2012, 08:51 PM   #2
angel71rs

I like my Shield 9 a lot, kicked my PF9 to the safe. Just so much easier to shoot accurately, especially follow up shots. I have a M&P 9mm too, didn't like the trigger anywhere near as much as the one on the Shield. It's better after I did the Burwell job on it, but going to leave the Shield trigger alone, it's fine as is.
Old July 6, 2012, 09:05 PM   #3
plouffedaddy

I think S&W will be backordered for a long time on the Shields... They're great little guns.
Old July 6, 2012, 11:23 PM   #4
jfrey

My wife found one by total accident for me at Fathers Day. I found another one the same way yesterday for my son. They are back ordered everywhere and most gun stores have a waiting list. They are good shooters and not one failure out of mine in over 200 rounds so far. My son shot his today and put about 50 rounds through his with no problems at all. All those rounds are my own loads too. They carry very well and conceal OWB under a minimum of cover garment. The Shield fits the nich between my G19 and LCP. Recoil is very mild for such a light pistol. I'm not a fan of heavy triggers and mine was 6 1/2#'s which S&W advertises. I put the Apex hard sear in mine and my groups greatly improved. The hard sear brings it down to an honest 4#'s. At first, I was shooting about 3 inches low at 7 yds. After installing the sear I was clover leafing shots all close to the center of the target. I did have a few fliers but that was my fault, not the pistol.

I tried the CW9, LC9, Nano, G26, M&Pc, PPS, and others before I got the S&W. The Shield just fit my hand and shooting style better. Honestly, if I just want to punch paper I would rather shoot my G19 or one of my high end 1911's, but for a carry gun you aren't going to find one much better in 9mm or .40 S&W.
Old July 8, 2012, 02:12 AM   #5
BigDog

I bought the first Shield my dealer got, and also relegated my PF9 to the locker. Great little pistol, and now my hot-weather everyday carry!