The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 4, 2012, 01:52 PM   #1
tom234

RCBS X-Dies: Do they eliminate trimming ?

I'm gearing up for bulk AR15 .223 shooting & reloading. Do the RCBS X-Dies work as claimed and eliminate case trimming or are they just another fad ?
If they work, would the small base X-Die be better for an AR15 ? So far I have had no problems using a standard FL sizing die.
Old July 4, 2012, 04:44 PM   #2
F. Guffey

I do not believe there is a claim by RCBS that the ‘X’ die eliminates case growth??? The instructions recommends trimming the case .020 thousandths before starting, if the ‘X’ die eliminated growth the case would remain .020 thousandths short.

F. Guffey
Old July 4, 2012, 05:29 PM   #3
huntinaz

Quote:
I do not believe there is a claim by RCBS that the ‘X’ die eliminates case growth??? The instructions recommends trimming the case .020 thousandths before starting, if the ‘X’ die eliminated growth the case would remain .020 thousandths short.
I have not used an X die, but was reading the instructions the other day at a local reloading store with the shop owner. If I remember correctly, the instructins absolutely do claim that the X die eliminates case growth. You trim the first time to make sure they're in spec and after that the die does the rest. I cannot attest to the effectiveness however, although if it does work it's worth the money.

"Once you quit hearing sir and ma'am, the rest is soon to follow." - Cormack McCarthy
"I'm just an average Joe, although I did score 4 touchdowns in one game..."-Al Bundy
Old July 4, 2012, 05:33 PM   #4
Vance

After you do the initial trimming and get the x-die set, the case will grow .002", then stop as long as you only use the x-die on that case. When you get cases that you haven't reloaded before, you have to size normally, then trim, then those are good for the x-die.

I am using the x-die for .223 and it works as claimed. I did break the decapping pin early on, so I would buy some spares when you buy the x-die. It takes the standard headed pins. I only broke the one though. I trimmed down to 1.73" so when they grew they ended up being 1.75".
Old July 5, 2012, 02:48 AM   #5
lll Otto lll

Looks like you've started this topic on several message boards at the same time....cross posting isn't necessary and is poor etiquette.
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=373798
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...wpost&t=666547
Old July 5, 2012, 06:57 AM   #6
Bud Helms
Staff

Posting the same topic on different boards is not cross-posting.

Posting the same topic in different forums/subforums on the same board is cross posting.
Old July 5, 2012, 11:12 AM   #7
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Posting the same topic on several forums is a good way to pick more brains , I'd say !
Old July 6, 2012, 10:46 AM   #8
Nathan

So, does it work?
Old July 6, 2012, 04:43 PM   #9
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
It does with the classified ads .