The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 22, 2012, 01:56 PM   #26
Texasfirearmfan

nice setup

I love all your choices, i would be in favor of shooting hogs with .223 due to easy follow up shots, but i have so much in my small game rifle already that i don't have 1,000 for an AR, right now. I have a chance to buy one of two guns right now, either a Beretta 92fs 9mm that i would use for a side arm for shooting Hogs, or i can get a WASR ak-47 ( for plinking, and i could set it up for hunting for the occasional challenge ) which gun should i get, which ever i pick i won't be getting the other for a long time so i don't what to choose wrong on this one.
-Corey
Old June 22, 2012, 02:10 PM   #27
buck460XVR

Quote:
Whats your Predator rifle and whats it used for?

My predator rifle is whatever rifle I have in my hand while I'm hunting predators.........it could be the .17HMR , the .223, or the ought-six. Sometimes I prefer the 12 ga.

....and I use it for, you guessed it, predators.
Old June 22, 2012, 09:11 PM   #28
Texasfirearmfan

wow, i bet you sat in your Parents basement for hours thinking of that sentence, thinking it would come across as something cool? and somehow you thought that it would somehow touch my heart and hurt my feelings?
have a nice day
-Corey
Old June 22, 2012, 10:52 PM   #29
Willie Lowman

My predator rifle is a Colt Hbar II lower with a RRA stainless flat top upper. It has a Z-51 night vision scope.

I mostly use it for the sake of conversation. People start talking about hunting coyotes or pigs or such and I break out my night-vision-AR-15 and get a few oohhs and aahhs then it goes back in the safe...
Old June 23, 2012, 12:27 AM   #30
Texasfirearmfan

Willie

yeah, with an investment like that it belongs in the safe! i have a friend who has some kind of night vision scope he said its a Jager pro or something like that, he said its the same one that this pro. hog hunting crew use all over the states to control those beast. i was with him when he bought it.... 6,500! if yours is anything like that then i have some serious respect for the quality you have in your AR, im not much of an AR person ( not because i don't like them, i love them and i wish i owned one, but heck i get to shoot one of my dads all the time when we do run and gun drills so im not in a hurry to buy one) anyway thats a nice setup, i like my remington 700 bdl, ive always had a soft spot for a nice wood stock. take care!
-Corey
Old June 23, 2012, 12:48 AM   #31
jimbob86

I get so very little time to hunt anymore .... I use one rifle for pretty much all my hunting (save that which must be done with a shotgun).... prairie dogs to deer (and maybe Elk in the future- G-Pa got one with this same rifle, so it's possible), it's my .270 WIN.
Old June 23, 2012, 12:50 AM   #32
jimbob86

$6,500? Divide that by the # of coyotes you kill with that and they are pretty spendy, unless you are killling a whole lot of them on a reglar basis!
Old June 23, 2012, 08:16 AM   #33
rickyrick

Dang, my scope costed 79$. My "night vision" is a red light made out of 30$ worth of parts, some used.
Old June 23, 2012, 10:06 PM   #34
Texasfirearmfan

Jimbob

yeah, i don't know how many he gets, but he owns around 200 acres, and the closest property to his is a state park that firearms are not aloud in. so they come on to his property all the time. i have never been to his house and not seen atleast one. he prob. takes close to a hundred a year, maybe not that much but he gets one nearly every other day.
Old June 23, 2012, 11:41 PM   #35
PunchinPaper

My predator rifle is just a plain DPMS AR15.
It has a 16"pencil bbl,free float tube TRS25 Reddot and a flashlight.
It's accounted for everything from rabbits to hogs. Mainly Coyotes!!
Old June 24, 2012, 12:13 AM   #36
huntinaz

Quote:
My predator rifle is whatever rifle I have in my hand while I'm hunting predators.........it could be the .17HMR , the .223, or the ought-six. Sometimes I prefer the 12 ga.

....and I use it for, you guessed it, predators.
Yup. I've used 22mag, 223, 243, 22 hornet, 45 colt, 45-70, 30-30, 30-06 and possibly my favorite: the 12GA. Shotgunning coyotes in the thick stuff is pretty awesome.

My sentiments on coyotes is that they're good for putting bullets into. All my guns will do that. Can't wait to flog one with my 50 Beowulf.
Old June 24, 2012, 12:32 AM   #37
PunchinPaper

I like it because it's light, accurate and cheap to shoot!
Old June 24, 2012, 06:59 AM   #38
lt dan

what is your predator gun and what is it used for?

416 rigby and with regards to predators I use it on lion and Hyena. all softnose. for leopard I use 308 with v-max (110grn) or 243 with v-max(87grn)
out of a hide with bait
Old June 24, 2012, 12:32 PM   #39
Texasfirearmfan

it dan

wow didn't expect to here from an african hunter, i mostly figured i would hear from coyote hunters. nice setup
Old June 26, 2012, 10:57 PM   #40
BIG P

7STW Win, just sometimes you feel mean,used for anything that might need shooting.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; June 26, 2012 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Language
Old July 3, 2012, 10:53 PM   #41
WildBill45

I use my O3A3 for everything, from problem black bears to coyotes. One load only ... 180 Noslers or Barnes.

I know the rifle, and the load, and predators provide hunting practice. If you are not eating them, what does the caliber matter to you?

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"
Old July 6, 2012, 11:12 AM   #42
Steve_in_SEMich

For coyotes I only get out to hunt them from Dec - early March, in the woods, max range approx. 150 yds:

Mini-14 synthetic taped up with snow camo + Beretta 391 also taped.

Michigan rules for after sunset require rimfire and no slugs or buckshot for the shotguns - I switch to a Browning T-Bolt in .22 Mag synthetic and use BB or BBB in the shotgun.

Around the house I use a Savage MK II in .22LR with a Sparrow Suppressor - CCI CB (longs or shorts) - very quiet and surprisingly accurate.
Old July 6, 2012, 01:15 PM   #43
Wyosmith

Here in Wyoming we have 2 "classes" of predators to deal with.
#1 is what everyone deals with.
Coyotes, foxes, coons, skunks, feral cats and so on.
I believe the very best all around tool for dealing with these kind of animals is an AR-15 with a good scope.

The 2nd class has only one animal in it. Grizzly bears.
There are best dealt with using the most powerful arm you can shoot WELL. A good hit with a 270 is WAY better than a bad hit with a 458, but I am sure that's not news to anyone here. A good hit with a 12 gauge slug, 458, 416 or 375H&H is better still.

One animal that fits somewhere in-between and can be handled with either the big gun or the AR, or any other gun you can hit them with is wolves.
They would die about like any 100-150 pound dog would die I am sure.

Any rifle or handgun is ok for any animal on the list #1 list as long as you can make good hits with it, but some work easier and better than others.

I have killed many coyotes with 22 long rifles, but I prefer a 222 or 223. Predators are not usually eaten, and we are mostly concerned with "makin-um-dead" and not too concerned about how they get that way.