The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 4, 2012, 04:27 PM   #1
UtopiaTexasG19

Does A Magnifier Defeat The Purpose Of A Holographic Sight?

I have scopes on all of my AR's to really reach out further than my own shooting abilities and am just finishing up a 300 AAC build for more up close ranges under 200 yards and am considering a Eotech Holographic sight. On all the reviews I've read about the Eotech 512 with the 65 MOA ring the positive remarks are about the quick aquisition with this set up. My question then becomes does a 3X magnifier in front of the Eotech 512 slow down sight aquisition or not? I've never even looked through a magnifier and need some input from those that have used one. Thanks...
Old July 4, 2012, 04:50 PM   #2
Double Naught Spy

Yes, magnification will slow you down at very close ranges. If fact, probably any inside of 50 will be slower.

With magnfication, your distance to the scope is important. Without it and using your Eotech, it really isn't.
Old July 5, 2012, 10:36 AM   #3
sholling

An Eotech by itself is very fast but yes the magnifier will slow you down some while it's in use. Keep in mind though that the magnifier (with the right mount) is kept swung out of the way until you need to take a long shot. The downsides are weight and cost, the magnifier and mount will add something like half a pound. On top of that the magnifier and a decent mount will set you back $250-650 depending on the brand of the magnifier and the mount.
Old July 5, 2012, 01:26 PM   #4
Pahoo

Absotively

Quote:
Does A Magnifier Defeat The Purpose Of A Holographic Sight?
Sure will and the higher the magnification, the worse it gets. ....

Be Safe !!!