The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 3, 2012, 08:39 AM   #1
LOUD

A question on procedure

I was just wondering. Ever since I started reloading rifle ammunition, I have always dropped the powder charge, weighed it, and trickled up to within 1/10th of my targeted load weight. How many of you are this anal and how many just check a few in the beginning and maybe every tenth one or so? I know that in some way, this will have to do with the accuracy of your powder measure. I was just wondering. ...........LOUD
Old July 3, 2012, 08:55 AM   #2
Jim Watson

It depends on the application.

For casual shooting or moderate range hunting, a regular rotary powder measure is plenty accurate.

For target shooting, I short dump and trickle my black powder, PACT electric dispenser weigh my smokeless.

Or you can go the benchrest ultra precision rotary powder measure. And learn ultra precision measure technique to get the best out of it.
Old July 3, 2012, 09:05 AM   #3
LOUD

I would do a poll but not that computer savy, drop and load vs weigh and trickle ?
Old July 3, 2012, 10:18 AM   #4
CrustyFN

I don't trickle. The only rilfe I load for is 223 and I load a bunch so I check a few in the beginning to make sure the powder measure is good and then go into mass production.
Old July 3, 2012, 10:32 AM   #5
dahermit

Quote:
"...and trickled up to within 1/10th of my targeted load weight..."
Why? Why not to the exact load weight if you are trickling onto a scale pan?
For target, varmint shooting purposes, I weigh all loads, load them on a single-stage press, although I only test the handgun loads (most of my shooting), as set-up on my Dillon 550B.

If the Bible is the literal, infallible, unerring word of God...where are all those witches I am supposed to kill?
Old July 3, 2012, 10:52 AM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahermit View Post
Why? Why not to the exact load weight if you are trickling onto a scale pan?
For target, varmint shooting purposes, I weigh all loads, load them on a single-stage press, although I only test the handgun loads (most of my shooting), as set-up on my Dillon 550B.
I believe you're misunderstanding... "within 1/10th" is as close as most scales get.

There's no such thing as "exact". You don't load exact weight. In all likelihood, you also weigh "within 1/10th" because that's smallest significant digit on your scale.

Even if you measure .01gr, it's not "exact" because you could measure .001, which also isn't "exact" because it could be .0001.... and on and on until you can't spend enough money to get a better scale... and you're still not "exact".
Old July 3, 2012, 11:19 AM   #7
sc928porsche

For loading rifle, I weigh and trickle every charge on my O frames. For Pistol, I check every 5th round on my progressives.
Old July 3, 2012, 06:19 PM   #8
David Bachelder

I used to drop and trickle. Now I enter the desired weight and the RCBS Chargemaster 1500 does the rest.

Perfectly ...... each and every time.

I load the .243 and the 30-06 rifle. I target shoot and hunt with the exact same bullet, powder and weight. Nothing changes. I spent a lot of time developing my load data and I use it.
Old July 3, 2012, 06:40 PM   #9
CherokeeT

I use a powder measue for all rifle and pistol loads. I'm not trying to win a benchrest match or doing 1000 yd shoots. I set the measure using 10 charges, check it again and then goooo.....
Old July 3, 2012, 06:52 PM   #10
603Country

I'm with David B. I LUUUUV my new powder measure toy. I've still got a powder trickler....somewhere....
Old July 3, 2012, 08:22 PM   #11
Kevin Rohrer

For most shooting, my measure does just fine. For varmint work, I tend to trickle up.

"Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery...all else is twaddle!" --Admiral Sir John Fisher, RN
Old July 3, 2012, 09:11 PM   #12
hk33ka1

If I am feeling fussy I do each one in the scale. If not I set up the RCBS, Lyman or Lee powder measures and throw right into the case checking one in the scale now and then. RCBS Chargemaster combo has been on my list for a while now.
Old July 4, 2012, 01:02 AM   #13
medalguy

I use a trickler when doing ladder tests. Once I find a good load that does what I want, I set my powder measure and check about ten loads, start loading, and check every tenth load for about a hundred rounds, then I usually don't bother checking it again until maybe 500 rounds. Works fine for me.
Old July 4, 2012, 02:48 AM   #14
10-96

I'm a trickler on everything- even for Trail Boss. Why? Because I personally feel that's a safety step- and I just wont take any shortcuts on anything I feel is a safety measure/step.

I'm going to use the words "clip" and "Long Colt" every chance I get. It grinds my gears to see new members attacked when we all know dang good and well what's being refered to.
Old July 4, 2012, 07:22 AM   #15
30Cal

I avoid trickling like the plague. Sometimes I'll do it for my 600yd load, but just as often I don't. It takes gobs of time and I haven't seen any evidence on my targets that it matters.

I flat out refuse to trickle for short line work (300yds and less) since I have no difficulty finding a load that will hold well within the X-ring simply by cranking away on the blue lever.

I do all my load confirmation with worst case parameters (I intentionally add in powder charge variation and use the worst brass I have). That way I know exactly what the worst performance I can expect is. And since it's still adequate enough to win any match out there, I don't have to sweat the small, time consuming stuff.

I've never heard of anyone else doing this but it makes perfect sense to me.

Last edited by 30Cal; July 4, 2012 at 07:30 AM.
Old July 4, 2012, 08:07 AM   #16
Uncle Buck

If it is a load that I have used before (and I have discovered that most of my favorite/accurate loads are no where near maximum) and really like, I set my powder measure and weigh every tenth.

If it is a new load, or something has changed, I usually get a little more .... Well, I have been known to trickle a bit.
Old July 4, 2012, 09:13 AM   #17
bbqncigars

I'll check every tenth throw from my rotary measures. The B&M doesn't need the attention. All rounds get the hairy eyeball when they're in the loading block. Good lighting is a must.
Old July 4, 2012, 10:39 AM   #18
.45 Vet

I trickle all my hunting/target loads for rifle. Everything else get checked at random, 1>10 or 1>20 on the progressive.
Old July 4, 2012, 12:56 PM   #19
hooligan1

I trickle every load that I weigh, using an RCBS powder trickler and a 5.0.5. scale, That's the one thing that I can't ever do differently, I can't bring myself to be satisfied with anything other than absolute perfect weight.
I know that everybodies scales will read differently, to an extent, but I use the very same scale and Uniflow since the late eighties, and I damn sure ain't screwing with it now,,,, And that unflow can throw some inconsistant weights, so I always set it up low and trickle to desired weight EVERY round.

Last edited by hooligan1; July 5, 2012 at 07:53 AM.
Old July 4, 2012, 07:42 PM   #20
William T. Watts

+ 1 for hooligan1

Ditto, 505 and RCBS trickler. William
Old July 4, 2012, 08:52 PM   #21
Edward429451

I use a trickler sometimes. (I filled the bottom with lead so its stable). It depends on what powder I am using or how close to max I am. Stick powders all get trickled, ball powders don't. Even if things are running smoothly I weigh every tenth round. I use a Uniflow and 5-0-5 since the 80s also. I did have to actually replace my 5-0-5 that I had used since the 80s. It somehow did not make my last move so I lost it.
Old July 5, 2012, 11:21 AM   #22
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
I drop a charge within .3 to.4 of what I want , then trickle to exact charge . If there's a 1/10th error in the scale , I don't want to compound it by settling for a charge within 1/10th grain of what I'm looking for in my scale reading ! The only time I do anthing different is when I'm loading pistol rounds with my RCBS Little Dandy , just drop and go .