The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 28, 2012, 10:02 PM   #1
Prof Young

Lighter bullet with heavier load????

Loaders:
So I noticed on the chart that came with my Lee 44 mag dies that for jacketed bullets the lighter the bullet the heavier the minimum and maximum gr of H-110. There must be something about the ballistics here that I do not understand.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old June 28, 2012, 10:14 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

That's always the case. Lighter bullet, more powder.
I'm not sure why that's confusing.
Old June 28, 2012, 10:17 PM   #3
mrawesome22

Lighter bullet, less pressure, increased charge.

Elementary handloading.

Sent from HenseMod6.
Old June 29, 2012, 12:01 AM   #4
Rangefinder

In basic terms, a lighter bullet offers less resistance to accelerate down the barrel, thus does not give the same amount of back pressure as the powder burns that a heavier bullet would. SO, more powder increases pressure to compensate and get the full potential acceleration from the lighter bullet.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old June 29, 2012, 12:44 AM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

Because the lighter bullet requires less force to push forward in the barrel, it accelerates faster. That means the space behind the bullet grows more quickly, thereby expanding the space the powder is burning in more rapidly than a heavier bullet does. As a result, the powder has to make more gas to fill that more rapidly expanding space fast enough to maintain adequate pressure. Putting more powder in the case provides that extra gas making capacity.

Bear in mind it is necessary for the peak pressure not to be too low, or the powder won't burn as efficiently or completely unless it's a very fast powder (H110/296 is not a very fast powder). By putting more powder in the case you also increase start pressure before the bullet really gets going, and that increase provides a second means by which powder gas generation can better keep up with the faster accelerating bullet, and that is simply by burning more quickly.
NRA Benefactor Member
Old June 29, 2012, 01:07 AM   #6
Northrider

Thanks for the clear explanation UncleNick. Even though I did not ask the question, I learned from this reply.
Old June 29, 2012, 05:42 PM   #7
dacaur

Quote:
So I noticed on the chart that came with my Lee 44 mag dies that for jacketed bullets the lighter the bullet the heavier the minimum and maximum gr of H-110. There must be something about the ballistics here that I do not understand.
You are just thinking about it backward. Its not necessarily that the lighter the bullet you use the heavier the charge has to be, its more that the heavier the bullet you use, the lighter the charge has to be. A heavier bullet is going to be harder to push down the barrel, creating more pressure. Since you have to keep below the sammi max pressure, when you use a heavier bullet, you have to use a lighter charge to keep the pressure down.
Old June 30, 2012, 08:22 AM   #8
Rifleman1776

Is this something you want to do?
As explained, it is possible.
Will there be an advantage to this kind of load?
Only you can decide that. Work up some loads that sound interesting to you (within the bounds of safety) and spend time at the range.
One advantage will be less recoil.
Old June 30, 2012, 09:38 PM   #9
Prof Young

okay

Loaders:
Thanks that makes sense!
Live well,be safe.
Prof Young