The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 25, 2012, 08:30 PM   #26
tahunua001

CZs are generally good guns and usually highly recommended as range toys but I rarely hear about people that use them as their EDC. I don't know if there's anything to that or not. they probably do not have a very heavy aftermarket selection when it comes to CCW.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old June 25, 2012, 11:18 PM   #27
warningshot

Do to its design, Ruger's SRc is robbing CCW market share from Kahr, SA and many others quickly. Someone asked for clairification...I advise to ask the people who buy SRCs vs the others. The obvious should become apparrant sooner or later. Clue: It is the design.

The LGS and Gunshows are flooded with XDs, M&Ps and Kahrs. And what guns are the customer's asking for?
Old June 26, 2012, 09:46 AM   #28
vba

"and for the record glocks are not even "the original, striker fired, DAO, high cap, polymer framed hand gun". H&K made one that predates the glock 17 by 12 years."

The VP70 was and still is crap. Too big, unwieldy and a terrible trigger. Glock may have taken some ideas from it but every inventor gleans from previous generations with regard to science and technology.

Glock put it all together and has caused every firearm manufacturer to jump thru hoops to try to catch up. Yes, they have in essenced, copied Glock.

Of the three choices I'd say again go with what you shoot better. For me it is M&PC9.
Old June 28, 2012, 04:00 PM   #29
Chuckusaret

Quote:
Do to its design, Ruger's SRc is robbing CCW market share from Kahr, SA and many others quickly.
I don't believe design has anything to do with them outselling Kahr and Springfield, it is pure economics. The XD9SC=$499. Kahr PM9= $650, SR9C=$399.

Vba===I have a 1984 H&K VP70Z and you might think it is garbage but show me one post 1984 handgun that the resale value has appreciated . MY VP70Z was purchase for $265 and was recently appraised at $750. I can agree that the felt recoil is rather harsh and it has a very heavy trigger, but it was the harbinger of the polymer guns.

Last edited by Chuckusaret; June 28, 2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old June 28, 2012, 05:10 PM   #30
tahunua001

Quote:
The VP70 was and still is crap. Too big, unwieldy and a terrible trigger.
not that it's very relevent to the discussion but you do realize that you just descibed almost any handgun H&K has ever made right? the VP70 was a full sized handgun...of course it is big and unwieldy by CCW standards. and I say again, glocks were not the first, they are essentially a copycat since you even stated that they took a lot of the design features from the VP70, springfield XDs and M&Ps share no more in common with a glock than glock shares with the VP70 meaning:

if you label them as a copycat, you must also be prepared to label glocks as copycats as well.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old June 29, 2012, 08:38 AM   #31
jacob2745

I struggled with the exact same decision a while back. After handling them all several times i ended up with the m&p. I have been thoroughly pleased with the s&w. Very comfortable, reliable, and conealable. It all just omes down to what works for you. Good luck!
Old June 29, 2012, 09:00 AM   #32
delta tide

Quote:
Interesting article. I guess 9mm would make better sense in that it performs almost equally as well.
I just starting carrying also. I started out strictly looking at the .40s. After a lot of research on terminal ballistics (like the article Coltman 77 pointed out), I decided to go with the M&P 9c because of # of rounds and light recoil in a small gun for follow up shots, all while not giving up much in terminal ballistics.

I have heard that the 40 M&Pc recoil is barely more noticeable than the M&P9c though.

Go with what makes you feel comfortable.
Old June 29, 2012, 10:34 AM   #33
Chuckusaret

Tahunua001; Well stated. I would I guess all modern guns are copycats of the 700AD Chinese powder fired weapons. Glock is among many gun producers that have copied/reverse engineered someone else's design. Gun design, good or bad, meet someone's needs or they would cease production. I have owned Glocks but I no longer do because of their grip angle and one major failure. Nuff said.
Old June 30, 2012, 07:11 AM   #34
dondavis3

I own the M&P 9c (I know you want a .40)

It is my main carry gun.

I load it with Federal Hydra-Shok bullets.

Easy to shoot - reliable - accurate as can be.

I've shot my friends .40 cal M&P Compact (same gun) and thought it was a great shooting .40 cal.

I own several .40 cal's, but just do not care for the snappiness of the round myself.

You should get the caliber you want.

But the S&W M&P line is a great line.

Last edited by dondavis3; June 30, 2012 at 07:17 AM.