The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 25, 2012, 06:46 PM   #26
oneounceload

There are always going to be idiots setting targets who think difficulty means really long, impossible-to-see targets. Where I shoot, the main setter (also the owner) has a great reputation for is "light-to-moderate" targets. Garbage can lids floating at 30 yards and you'll miss half because of what he makes them do......

Try other courses and other setters - go up to Commanche Hills in Ione
Old June 25, 2012, 06:52 PM   #27
340 Weatherby

A couple rounds of skeet every week keeps me ready to kick butt Sept. 1
Old June 26, 2012, 01:32 PM   #28
BigJimP

Every course needs a few tie breakers...but there is a point where it gets flat ridiculous...

In my opinion, the best courses ...are set by guys that "keep it fun" ...meaning that a class D or C shooter should be able to shoot about a 60 out of 100. B's around 70 / A's at 75 / AA's and Master 85 - 95 or so ....

If it gets much harder than that ....throwing black/grey targets in teh shadows and stuff like that ...its too gimmicky. There are so many things a good target setter can do ...change colors on targets A and B ... nested pairs... flying bunnies...stuff like that ....that keep it interesting / makes guys laugh and talk ...then its a good course ( if the D's and C's are averaging in the low 60's....).