The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 25, 2012, 07:56 PM   #1
covered n ink

W231 with SPM prmers

my names eric i am from pittsburgh pa i am new to this forum and new to reloading.. i am going to reload some .38 special + p rounds with W231 which is the same as HP-38 as i have figured out.. my question is can i use mag primers with that powder??? i have cross referenced a few data books and the lee manuel tells me to use sp primers, hodgdon data says sp primers from this years edition book even though they dont say on their web site what primer to use and i have another book thats a general data book for .38 special where hodgdon says to use SPM and win231 is sp .. i am thinking my last book could be outdated??? anyway would it hurt to use a mag primer with w231 after all it is a ball powder... thanks

by the way i used mag primers with H110 for my .357 mag loads and it worked great
Old June 25, 2012, 08:28 PM   #2
Misssissippi Dave

You could use mag primers for .38 specials. You would have to re work your loads up again since they produce higher pressures then standard primers. I wouldn't worry as much if you are shooting them out of a .357 mag pistol. If you plan to shoot them out of a .38 special pistol, I would then be concerned.

W231 doesn't require you to use a mag primer even for +P loads. I only use mag primers when it is called for or if I'm in a real bind and can only get mag primers I would use them, but I would reduce my load and work it back up again. If you ever do make good loads using the mag primers make sure you keep good records of what you used. You may have need for it again some day.

You will find manufactures only use mag primers if they are needed. If they are not needed then they won't publish that data.
Old June 25, 2012, 09:20 PM   #3
covered n ink

cool thanks ya they will be shot out of a .357 mag rev and since i am new to reloading i am staying on the light end of the loads anyway till i get some experience they will also be loaded using .38 special cases i know you can load .38 special loads in .357 mag cases but not the other way around... its been hard to find sp primers around here the second someone gets them in they are gone but i can get SPM primers all day long thats why i asked this question
Old June 25, 2012, 09:56 PM   #4
Misssissippi Dave

There are some people that only use .357 cases for every load they make. From powder puff .38 special loads to full magnum loads. It makes it easier since they don't have to change anything for the dies. I hope to get to that point some day when the .38 special cases finally wear out.

I got tired of trying to find primers locally. I order them from powder valley now. I start saving money this way if I get 5,000 primers and anything else. They do charge a HASMat fee. Normally I order 10k or more in primers and 8 pounds or more in powder in a single order. Then I feel I have gotten a pretty reasonable savings.

I also like buying bullets in bulk on line as well. This cuts the cost per round quite a bit in my opinion. If you think those quantities are too much at a time you might look to finding another reloader or two to split the order with you.

The worst part of loading your own ammo is when you feel the urge and have the time to reload then running out of something you need. I need to order some more .45 bullets soon. I have few hundred more case then I have bullets for at the moment.